Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Payson, our 10 week old Golden, is a great puppy, full of life, loves his crate, goes to door to do business, knows come, sit, etc. but more than either of our past Goldens--together--has an attention span of less than three seconds. No matter if fifty toys are out or five toys are out, his only interest is chewing us, our clothes, the chairs, the rugs, the baskets, etc. We have baby gates up and he is like Houdini getting past, under, and around all barriers. He is so lovable but wears us out in an hour. We alternate to supervise him, but have not been able to let him run much since we have ticks everywhere in our yard and have pulled five out in two days. He also has not yet had his third shot so we are also hesitant to let him run or go a lot of places until he gets that. We put Frontline on him at 9 weeks, but the ticks keep coming. I have even tried being the dominant dog with him on back and me the bitey boy. We know he will be okay in the long run, but have never had it this bad with our last two dogs. Besides Dr. Phil and rosary beads, any good suggestions? Thanks.

Bill in PA.

Attachments

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Land Sharks as we call them. Teeth are finally starting to fall out in our almost 4 mo old and hopefully we are nearly at an end. Got to say I think I wore long sleeves to work almost the whole time to cover all the scrapes, cuts and bite marks. I found when he would be really mouthy to stick a toy in his mouth, have the Vets cut and round off his nails and pray a whole lot. If you can get him in a beginning puppy kindergarden class you can learn teaching methods to stop a lot of this and train, train, train at home until he has all his shots. We too are holding off our little boys beginning classes until he finishes all his shots, but the kindergarden really helped understand and gave us things to try. Honestly it will get better I promise! Goldens are such a mouthy breed and he just l-o-v-e-s his family so much.

There will be many here with good suggestions to follow, but know you are not alone cause many of us have young pups and are right with you!

Sorry about the ticks. Fleas are what we are battling this year with all the drought.

Reactions: rabidyankee

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I know some dogs are worse than others during the bitey puppy phase, our Lab-X was THE worse, Maggie (RIP) pretty middle-of-the-road and Hank was a dream. These dogs came to us in that order so maybe our perspective changed!

With Hank I had toys everywhere in the house to stick in his mouth when he started to biting. Maybe that was the trick! We also kept a supply of bullysticks.

When you get worn out, put him in his crate for a little down time. It will soon all be a distant memory!

Reactions: rabidyankee
1 - 3 of 3 Posts