Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is being very aggresive to all of us. When we play with him he bites us. When we walk past him, he bites us. When we do anything with him, he just doesn't stop biting. He also growls. He bites a face if its close to him.:doh: We have tried to teach him not to but he won't understand.:( We have tried saying no firmly, locking him in a room for 15 seconds, and spraying him with water, but he won't stop. Could someone please help? Thanks. I also would like to add I am new to this forum.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if its playing behavior, his bites are very painful. He is 7 weeks old. I am not crate training him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if its playing behavior, his bites are very painful. He is 7 weeks old. I am not crate training him.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Yes, their teeth are very sharp. We call them "Land Sharks". lol

A crate is very useful for time outs. Puppies can get over excited just like little kids and need a place to settle down and yet not be locked away. I suggest you get a crate or an xpen so that puppy can calm down and you can get a break.

It IS very frustrating, I know, but it doesn't last too long.

Above all, please understand that it is not aggression or a mean puppy or a bad puppy. He is a normal puppy.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
You have a healthy, happy, rambunctious little landshark. Google landshark, you'll get lots of training suggestions. You'll get a lot here too.

First thing to remember -- THIS WILL PASS. May take awhile, you may have scars (LOL, I do), but you will all live through this.

Have a lot of toys available that he will want to bite and chew on. When he bites on you, give him the toy immediately. Repeat this ad nauseum, as many times as you need to. He'll catch on eventually.

When he makes contact with your skin or clothing, yell EEEK!! Be loud, be shocking. Every time.

7 weeks old? That's very young, maybe too young to be away from his mom and littermates. They learn bite inhibition at this young age, you may have taken him too early and have made yourself his teacher in this. Lucky you :) Don't fail.

God, I wish I had my puppy back. She just died, 12-1/2 years old. I'd trade you in a heartbeat to have my Daisy back, young and brand new, good and bad.

Go the distance, and you will have the dog you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a healthy, happy, rambunctious little landshark. Google landshark, you'll get lots of training suggestions. You'll get a lot here too.

First thing to remember -- THIS WILL PASS. May take awhile, you may have scars (LOL, I do), but you will all live through this.

Have a lot of toys available that he will want to bite and chew on. When he bites on you, give him the toy immediately. Repeat this ad nauseum, as many times as you need to. He'll catch on eventually.

When he makes contact with your skin or clothing, yell EEEK!! Be loud, be shocking. Every time.

7 weeks old? That's very young, maybe too young to be away from his mom and littermates. They learn bite inhibition at this young age, you may have taken him too early and have made yourself his teacher in this. Lucky you :) Don't fail.

God, I wish I had my puppy back. She just died, 12-1/2 years old. I'd trade you in a heartbeat to have my Daisy back, young and brand new, good and bad.

Go the distance, and you will have the dog you want.
I am very sorry for your loss. I got this puppy early because the first owner wanted to get rid of them as soon as possible.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Is there a way to calm or stop this behavior?
time and consistency
you have to just keep doing the ouch thing, keep putting something else in his mouth, he's a BABY, he won't learn overnight
He doesn't speak your language, he has no idea what you want, he sees you as littermates and that's how they play.
Just keep telling yourself he's a baby, and it will just take time.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
You can calm the behavior by offering a toy whenever he bits your. He's teething and that why he wants to chew on things. Plus he doesn't know you're not a puppy so he treats you the way he would play with his littermates.

This behavior is something we all have to endure and get through. Age is really the only 'cure'. They usually get a lot better at 5 or 6 months when their adult teeth come in.

Sounds like his 'breeder' didn't know much about puppies...and this guy got the short end of THAT stick. Be kind to him, redirect, give him time outs, lots of exercise and play and lots of love. He will turn into a Golden Retriever, I promise you!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Exercise can help. Is he getting enough exercise? A tired puppy is a good puppy. He probably doesn't have his vaccinations yet so you have to be careful.

He may be teething also, that will make his mouth more sensitive and so he will want to bite down on things more. Freeze a wet washrag and let him chew on it. Look for frozen chew toys at your pet store.

Are you able to crate train him? This will help a lot. When he gets too wound up, say "Let's Go" and lead him into his crate. Make it a fun place, feed him in there, keep toys in there. Soon he will love it. A crate can be like a den, and can be naturally quite calming for dogs. And for us too :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with the others in that you cant use negative associations with the behavior. At 7 weeks he's too much of a baby to learn anything. I think all you can do is replace skin with toys.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
If you go to your local pet store the people there should be able to help you pick out some toys for puppies.

A word of caution: a puppy should never be left with a toy unsupervised. It's very easy for them to swallow pieces of the toys or rip them apart and eat the stuffing. That is a very expensive vet bill; many times requiring surgery to save the puppy's life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can I crate train him? If I put him in a crate he will make a huge tantrum and won't stop whining. I know this will happen because, if we let him outside or put him in a room he whines his heart out.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Don't put him outside by himself...he's too little and will eat something bad for him.

He whines because you're not there. He's much to young to be separated from you/his family. Do you live alone? Or is there family there?

He may not like his crate at first. You make it fun by giving him treats with the door open. Let him go in and out on his own at first. Let him make 'friends' with it. When he falls asleep, put him in his crate. When he wakes up take him outside for potty...and stay with him while he's outside.

Gradually he'll like his crate...most do, altho some never do. But you have to try. And get one big enough. you might be better off with a xpen, he might take to that better.

It's hard to know what kind of advice suits you without knowing your situation. House? Apartment? Yard? Even your age.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I have to log off now. Spending some time reading in the puppy forum. A lot of your questions are answered in more detail there.

We all go thru it...I'm sure you'll get a lot of information there.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
you really need to lower your expectations
this is a baby you've got
would you expect a human baby to suddenly be potty trained, walking and talking, at 7 weeks old?
this little guy wants to be with you, not stuck outside
Baby brain, baby brain - just keep telling yourself that
It doesn't sound like you have a lot of patience with the little guy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We do supervise him when he is outside. Its not that I don't have patience, it's just that when he bites it hurts a lot.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts