Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my puppy Harlow for two months now, shes 16 weeks old. For about the past 4-6 weeks it seems she's had a very sensitive stomach, anything out of her eating routine such as even one small training treat, different water, change in any of the small amount of wet food I give with her dry causes diarrhea/soft stool. Ice cubes she loves so I treat those as her treats and she acts as such. Whenever she would get a two day diarrhea episode I would feed her rice with her kibble and sometimes some cut up boiled chicken breast. It still seems like every 2-3 days she has solid but soft stool with some mucus on it and her next poop an hour-2 later will be regularly solid with some blood and then maybe solid with blood for a day and then back to normal and then back to soft stool with mucus two days later and on and on. She's acting like herself all the time, never lethargic, always wants to play and chew like normal. She constantly tries to eat leaves, grass, pieces of sticks, etc etc and I do a pretty good job and removing every little thing she picks up and attempts to swallow but surely sometimes she swallows those type of things. She is fully house trained, sleeps all night without whining in her crate etc. So all in all she is a great dog. This seems like a minor problem maybe from the outside looking in but when its every 2-3 days for weeks on end it gets old and makes me wonder if its something that needs checked out or if it will start to cease as she gets older. When this first started she had pure diarrhea in her crate and vomited as well at around 10 weeks of age which prompted a vet visit. The vet wanted to do all the rounds of tests, x-rays, blood work and charge $600+. At the advice of our breeder we only opted for the exam and a prescription of meds which cleared her up with no issues for a few weeks and thats when we noticed giving her anything outside of her regular diet caused these issues. My neighbor walks/feeds her everyday midday and may be sneaking her a treat here and there so that could be my constant issue as to her stool/stomach issue. Any thoughts, tips, hints, and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Kristy
10,252 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have great suggestions other than sympathy. My rough collie has a very delicate system, so I absolutely could see that your puppy can't tolerate ANY other treats etc. other than her normal food.

If I were you, I'd have a serious talk about all this with the dog walker and make sure that he/she has a stash of the kibble to give as treats and isn't giving her any other food or allowing her to eat leaves and sticks. Hopefully when your neighbor understands how serious this is and how expensive the vet care is going to be he will cooperate.

If this were my dog and it continued I would be getting a second opinion somewhere to try to get to the bottom of it. Have you considered that the food may not agree with her and thought about changing over to a sensitive stomach formula?

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Has she had a simple fecal test at all? She might have a puppy parasite - giardia is extremely common. Coccidia is less common, but many puppies get it. The test is only about $30. Has she been given metronidazole at all? Or Albon?

I agree - the dog walker has to be told not to give her anything at all - or accept treats from others. Nothing at all.

Purina EN Gastroenteric is a very bland, easy to digest food. It is a prescription food. It basically helps everything calm down. I'd recommend it - and stay on it for a good amount of time. Then transition to a similar food (Pro Plan is very similar ingredient wise).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So we took her to the vet later in the day after I made my post. Seems like she had/has giardia, maybe inflammatory bowel disease too. Fecal test came back negative but they also explained the false negative aspect and how difficult sometimes giardia can be to find. They gave her metronidazole, panacur powder, and a probotic. We have been giving her all these the past 5 days with a chicken and rice diet. She's eating like a horse and taking all meds and no further issues so hopefully she clears up over the next few weeks and is good to go.

·
Registered
833 Posts
So glad you took her to the vet, Giardia was the first thing I thought of when you described the symptoms.

Gunner had it when he was a pup and the meds worked wonderfully. Try to quickly dispose of any poo's to keep the possibility of re-infection down to a minimum. I used the "paper plate" method with Gunner. Buy a cheap pack of paper plates, when pup goes to squat, slide it under the tail and catch the waste, then right in the garbage bag. At that age it's usually pretty easy to catch on the plate and if you have it down on the ground already it doesn't startle them to just slide it over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts