Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Koda must have gotten a hold of a rock at some point yesterday because at 2:30 am my husband and I woke up to her throwing it up. Scared the crap out of us hearing her but she got it out and we took care of it and stayed up to see how she was.

We are very attentive of her outside and take everything we see her put in her mouth out so we are wondering if my mom missed her eating that when she was watching her yesterday. I plan to make sure she watches out for it. I really don't think she would have gotten more than one because she is always on her 6ft leash with the person watching what she is doing so I am surprised this happened at all...

Do you guys have any tips to make her not even want to eat rocks? That scares me with all the horror stories I have read about stones obstructing them. We have stones along the back of the house and I am going to scan the yard tonight to see if there are any in the yard that we might not notice right away. She usually doesn't even go towards the back of the house so I am not sure where it came from. I would rather she just ignored them though so I thought I would see if there is anything I can do.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Serawyn
Joined
·
253 Posts
I'm very curious about this post and look forward to the suggestions. My puppy does the same thing and the only way I can think of besides supervising 24/7 is to remove all the rocks completely. How annoying that would be, but I can't get her to stop eating the pea gravel.
 

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
Joined
·
611 Posts
We have this problem, too. We have gravel along a short stretch of our pool to help with drainage, and there's no way to fence it off. And I'm not sure landscaping would help much in our case; Pippa would just as happily chomp on the mulch :doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
Yea, if this continues we may just relandscape to mulch.
She'll probably grow out of it, but until then it is constant watching (or relandscaping :)).

When the snow melted last spring, Cookie went rock-crazy for a few weeks. The rocks must have had a special taste or something. When she got hold of one, I would bring her to the back deck, and play a trade game. She'd drop the rock, I'd give her a treat, and then give her the rock back. We would play a few rounds of this before I took the rock away permanently. After a few weeks of this, she lost the taste for New England granite. I still have the bucket full of the rocks she collected for me during this time.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
The majority of puppies grow out of rock eating. I would be careful about switching to mulch because puppies like that stuff too. Work on the training routine of having her drop whatever it is she picks ups and make sure you have a treat handy to reward her. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,440 Posts
The majority of puppies grow out of rock eating. I would be careful about switching to mulch because puppies like that stuff too. Work on the training routine of having her drop whatever it is she picks ups and make sure you have a treat handy to reward her. Good luck.
Also, not sure if it's made anymore, but "Cocoa Mulch" is toxic to pets. Don't buy Cocoa Mulch.

Here's a snopes link:

snopes.com: Cocoa Mulch Danger to Dogs
 

·
New Mommy
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
We have the same problem here with Jordan, she is getting better, she's now 15 weeks, but I always carry Hydrogen Peroxide with me at all times. This is the one part of her puppyhood that I really am NOT enjoying, but hopefully this to will pass.(Pun intended :))
 

·
Nancy
Joined
·
7,493 Posts
For us, we just crossed our fingers and thankfully Hank out grew his attraction to rocks before anything happened. We have a gravel driveway and our fenced backyard is wooded. No way we could have gotten rid of all the rocks.

Good Luck!
 

·
Wyatt Earp
Joined
·
3,595 Posts
My Cody boy ate rocks up until the day he died at 11 years old. Never grew out of it. He ate my wedding ring and when I took him to get x rayed the doctor said he couldn't see the ring but saw a bunch of rocks:uhoh: We were fortunate that they all passed and he never had an obstuction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,283 Posts
You can spray some rocks with some of the deterrents that they make and pray that one taste of that will turn her off rocks for good. Doesn't always work but worth a shot. Tabasco sauce and Bitter Apple are the most common deterrents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,818 Posts
Jaro has throw up some pretty big rocks so I know he has been at this too. He seems to always have something in his mouth still at 16 months and I am so over this phase. I keep an eagle eye on him, buy my husband doesn't when he takes him out. I can get him to drop them if I have a treat, but other than that I have no good advice.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top