Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of asked this a while ago, and now that Bailey is home I have a follow up.
My question is, could I be allergic to a puppy, but not a full grown dog? Our 6 yr old Golden doesn't bother me at all, but after having Bailey home a couple days I can definetly tell I'm having some asmatic reactions to her.
Is there something about the puppy stage that could be increasing my allergies?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I bet it is the shampoo that was used on him. Have you tried giving him a bath to see if it helps?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was washed the day we picked her up, by the breeder (Fri). Then, we gave her another bath yesterday (Sun). Really doesn't feel like a shampoo issue since it's not irritating my skin, or eyes, just my breathing.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Unfortunately, you can be allergic to some dogs and not others. I'd never been allergic to any dogs in my life until about four years ago. Then it was only particular female dogs. I'd break out in hives, huge welts, but no problem breathing. Now, the allergy includes some male dogs. When I got Finn from the rescue, he licked my neck and boom, huge hives. I brought him home anyway, and over time, my body has gotten used to him. I don't let him have a lick fest on me, though, as that will bring on the allergy. My son, an asthmatic, took a year or so to become used to Cody. Son was five and dog was a puppy. I didn't allow puppy in bedrooms so as to minimize dog hair when son was sleeping, and Baird couldn't wrestle for too long with Cody and was required to wash hands and face after playing. He lived with that dog happily for fourteen years, so I wish you the same luck in managing the allergy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that it varies from dog to dog (especially if it's a different breed). I just haven't heard many accounts of different reactions to dogs of the same breed. I have read that it's possible for some to create higher
levels of allergen. But it seems so unlikely that our 6 yr old golden woul have no affect on me but the
puppy does.

The only thing that makes me more curious is that we never had Maggie(6 yr old) as a puppy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts