Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old male has become really aggressive with my husband, mother-in-law, and father-in-law (my in-laws come over during the day to feed and walk him while we're at work). He does not do it with me, I broke him of it when he was really little but they did not discipline him and attributed his behavior to "being a normal puppy". I told them it would continue and get worse once he was older and of course it has. I know that he is trying to initiate play and is not trying to hurt anyone but he does hurt them. It got so bad that one time he bit my husbands arm and when he went to lift his arm up to get away Griffey hung on and actually broke the skin. He growls very aggressively while he is jumping and biting. He will not respond to anything we say or do. We've tried giving him a chew toy but he's not interested and would rather go for their hands, arms, legs, feet anything he can get a hold of. We've tried walking away and ignoring him, he just follows them and and bites their clothing, butt, etc. We've tried making a high pitch "Ouch" to startle him, no response. We've tried a homemade noise maker to try and startle him (A can filled with pebbles), nothing has worked. My mother-in-law is actually becoming scared of him because he is getting so big. I need help and do not know what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like we have a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He's the sweetest most affectionate puppy at times and then he turns into this crazy little monster. Thank you!:confused:

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
well I had typed up a long response but seem to have lost it... :( will try again!

I'm not a trainer but here are a couple ideas:
  • keep a lead on him at all time. Gives you better control. Show family members how to step on it when he starts getting mouthy.
  • use progressive correction: start with the "ouch" and turn back to dog, if it doesn't stop, Puppy goes into pen and you go leave room, when you return bring a water bottle and use it as soon as it starts again when you're saying "ouch!" "Ouch" process should be used whenever puppy touches clothes or skin with teeth.
  • teach family members to give treats to puppy so that he uses a soft mouth, with lots of praise.
  • if this doesn't work, get a trainer to come in to house to work with your family members. They'll think trainer is there to fix the dog but will really be there to train them. LOL.

Good luck! You have my sympathies. I've had a situation in the past when my family didn't support the training plan for my dog and it really made for a lot of trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts