Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old has recently gotten bullied this past week! (walking in the street, park, even with known dogs).

I read somewhere that since she is not fixed yet, at this age she is emitting some hormone or something and this is when other dogs tend to be aggressive towards her ( or was that the other way around)? She is not aggressive in any way. Right before the dog growls/snaps at her you'll see her being submissive with ears/butt/crouched down.

I guess I'll wait until after she's spayed to expose her to more dogs. Just wondering if anyone has heard about this or had the same experience. Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
Small dogs and older dogs tend to be annoyed quickly with Ozzy. I think as a large puppy he annoys them with his size and energy. Younger, large dogs seem OK. Is it all dogs that bother your dog or just some kinds? Does your pup get any socialization with pups that like her?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, she socializes at puppy socials and her puppy class. WHen she does meet these adult dogs she just stands still to let them sniff and even submits (crouches down, ears down and back, tail between her legs). Maybe she's saying something to them that humans can't hear!

But I did read somewhere about unspayed females at an adolecent age. One of the guys that she had the incident with even asked if 1) is she female 2) is she a puppy 3 ) is she spayed because his dog was having issues with that type of dog

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think that as long as she gets along with some dogs it's probably fine and it is likely due to her age and "fertility". I'd be concerned that she's doing something "wrong" socially if all dogs reacted that way but that doesn't sound like that's the case.

Ozzy doesn't ususallyh approach dogs very submissively which is probably why he gets the reaction he does at times.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Usually this is more the case with unfixed adolescent males...Not sure why they would be responding that way. It seems to me that neither her behavior or their behaviour seems entirely appropriate. How does she do at puppy class?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I know that small dogs strongly dislike Nyah because of her size and energy level, she gets along with every dog but small dogs, especially schnauzers freak out on her.

She also submits to older dogs (rolls over and let's the dog sniff her). She's not quite 6 months yet so not sure if this will happen or not, I'd just suggest waiting until she gets spayed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts