Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Nugget will be 5 months next week. He was housebroken 2 weeks after he came home to me. He was paper-trained initially but a month now, he's been going mostly during our walks. And he hasn't had an accident in months!

Thing is over the last 2 days, he's been acting strange and peeing in the living area. It has happened 2 times already. It's very odd cuz he's always so good about going to the papers when he's home or holding it til we go out for our walks.

Have any of you encountered something like this? I'm not exactly sure what's wrong. I guess I have to go back to confining him again whenever I can't watch him instead of letting him walk around the house. bummer...

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Could you explain what you mean by "acting strange?" Are you referring to the peeing in the living area, or some other behavior that precedes the peeing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. Let me clarify. He's peeing in the living room. He never used to do it before. Even when I first brought him home at 11 weeks, he hardly ever had accidents. But over the last 2 days, he has had 2 separate accidents in the living area. I've cleaned up really well plus my floor is tiled. So I can't understand what's up with him. More concerned than mad. Very puzzling!

·
Registered
265 Posts
First things first. If this is abnormal behavior for him then he should be seen by a vet; he may have a UTI. If you can rule out a medical cause for this behavior, I would go back to Housebreaking 101. Confinement and total 100% supervision when not confined. Tether him to you, make him wear a drag line in the house. Maybe he's just going through another growth stage and has decided to challenge you in this area.

Another member on the board, Schleng, told me about a great method that she used with her puppy when he went through this. She put his food bowl down in the same spot where he peed (after a thorough cleaning, of course) to reinforce that you don't pee where you eat. Maybe something like that would work for you, too.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Lucky had his moments too. I really didn't trust him until after 6 months. Sometimes...most of the time...he'd communicate his need and sit by the door. Occassionally for what ever reason he'd head the opposite direction into the hall way or our room...specifically to pee. Since he was old enough to know better I did scold him .

That said, if it becomes a daily problem, I'd head to the vet and make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection or something.

Good luck. It sure is nice when they are older and you don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know Samwise, that's a really good idea. Put his food bowl down exactly where he has peed earlier. I'll try putting his food bowl in the living room so hopefully he gets the idea.

I doubt it's urinary tract infection but I'll definitely bring that to my vet. Do you think he's challenging my authority? When do male puppies start marking? He's not neutered yet and I'm only thinking of neutering him between 8-12 months.

Thanks for all your advice. REally helpful!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Lucky started marking about 10 months. Even then...it was just once in a while. Now he always lifts his leg after sniffing to see whos been there.

I personally think your guy is just a little unstable cause he's a pup. He most likely just needs more supervison and control to get back on track. Keep posting so we can see whats going on.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I took Tinkerbell to the vet today for a follow up check on a Urinary Tract infection and she is on another 10 days worth of antibiotics because it is not quite gone yet. She had no symptons of it she rarely had an accident in the house though when she did it was the same spot, even though we cleaned and disinfected. We only found out because 1 day she peed on her way out the door and you could see blood. that is the only time that happened. She was sleeping for 8 hours straight at night and still is. She never had difficulty peeing either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts