Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got blasted when I posted on the Main Discussion Thread. I have 2 Cavalier/Bichon mixes that were bred to each other. A lot of people are extremely anti - these hybrid mixes. These dogs are so sweet, and great pets with the best of both breeds. We are expecting puppies the first week in December. We are really excited about this, so I hope I don't get negative energy from this post. Mama is doing well, and the ultrasound showed 9 or 10 pups. If I get "positive energy" from this post, I will keep a thread going with the progress and pictures of the pups.
Keep it positive folks! :--big_grin:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Well,hope the delivery goes well and that we can see the pictures of them,growing up!.
Note aside,this breeding is,certainly, not ideal as I believe in breeding purebred dogs.I,also,hope that the parents,are OFA tested,for each breeds,health problems as the Cavalier is well-known,for heart problems!.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Sorry, can't keep it positive when you purposely bred 2 mutts to create more mutts. Do a Petfinder search and see the amount of bichon mixes in shelters. Please leave the breeding to people who actually know what they're doing.

·
16,000 Posts
While I am happy that the female is doing well, I'm "positive" that I will never condone such a breeding, especially when it comes to the health issues that are rarely, if ever, addressed, and I am also "positive" that the labeling of these dogs as "hybrids" is incorrect. That said, I hope that your girl has no problems delivering such a large litter, and that they all find loving, responsible (read that "will spay and neuter and not perpetuate more mixed breed dogs"), and most importantly, forever homes.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Nope, sorry, can't be 'positive' about adding to the pet population with mixed breed pups where I'm willing to bed neither parent has had any health clearances (I would own a cav if it wasn't for the huge health issues - did you check to see if either parent was affected? do you know what the health issues are and how they affect the dog?).

We have a local puppy mill/byb/hvb here that 'specializes' in bichon/shi tzu things, pumps them out like crazy and the classifieds are full of them as well. Seen a lot of nasty temperments, horrible bites and just 'ugly' conformation on them (front ends where you wonder how the dog actually walks and know they'll have issues when they get old ugly).

My favorite saying is that even otterhound puppies are cute, but that doesn't mean everyone should breed and own otterhounds (and if you've met an otterhound you'd understand).

I hope for the puppy's sake you are going to insist that all the buyers spay and neuter and you do the same with your dogs when possible - there are lots of those exact mixes waiting for homes in rescues.

Lana

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
May I ask why you decided to breed them?

I am definitely not supportive of purposely breeding mutts. I am sure your dogs are very sweet but no dogs should be bred without proper health clearances... it just is not fair for any of the puppies who will grow up with health problems.

With all that said, the deed is done and I hope that everything goes well for the mother... 9 or 10 pups does sound like a lot for such a small dog. Please get yourself educated on whelping and raising puppies before the delivery in a couple of weeks.... there is a LOT to be learned and there is SO MUCH that can go wrong.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I hope for the puppy's sake you are going to insist that all the buyers spay and neuter and you do the same with your dogs when possible - there are lots of those exact mixes waiting for homes in rescues.

I just saw this in your post and it is an excellent idea, although not highly enforceable with mutts. :(

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I just saw this in your post and it is an excellent idea, although not highly enforceable with mutts. :(
Well this is one case where I'd support early spay and neuter, perhaps the OP will consider looking into having the entire litter done before they go to their forever homes, as a service to the new owners as well as to ensure that she's doing the right thing.

One could hope... all to often people buy a puppy, do the math of the purchase price times the number of puppies and decide to breed too....:doh:

Lana

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you should make a sizable donation to your local shelter since your mutt breeding will take away homes from the thousands of mix breeds already in need of a home.

A hybrid is a cross between two unlike SPECIES, not two different breeds. Breeding dogs because they are nice pets is not a good enough reason to breed. Its because of this kind of logic that we are dealing with overpopulation of pet quality animals, not to mention the genetic defects that get passed down through these breedings because proper clearances were not completed.

I find it strange that in your other post this was all a huge "accident" and yet on this one it appears as if it were planned all along. I don't condone the breeding of mixed breeds when there is already an overabundance in need of a home, sorry! Had the tone of this post been a bit more regretful of the action, I might have responded differently. However, I am getting a "neener-neener, I don't care what you think" vibe from this post.

I hope the dam continues to do well. Do you have a breeding mentor to assist you with the whelping? I am sure that the breeders here can attest to how much can go wrong with whelping a litter. Its not easy, and can get really expensive if your girl needs a c-section. Hopefully your vet can offer some suggestions.

·
Registered
481 Posts
9 or 10 pups is a huge little for these little dogs. I do hope the female is getting excellent vet care. I never could find out if you have done a litter before, or how old she was. But I am sure your vet you have seen has addressed these issues with you. When is she due?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She is due around the 5th of December. I have an excellent vet, who has been with me right along. I also have the health certs on both the mother's and father's parents.
As far as price goes, I am not sure yet. A few are spoken for by family and friends. I will see how much this is going to run, and try to cover my expenses. I am not taking deposits, nor a list. I also have been in touch with a few breeders that I know who will help out through this.
If you are interested, you can email me through this site, my email is listed.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I'm wondering why you would post this when you already said you got blasted in another discussion. You obviously know how everyone feels about it... so why would you post something so snarky?

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
She is due around the 5th of December. I have an excellent vet, who has been with me right along. I also have the health certs on both the mother's and father's parents.
As far as price goes, I am not sure yet. A few are spoken for by family and friends. I will see how much this is going to run, and try to cover my expenses. I am not taking deposits, nor a list. I also have been in touch with a few breeders that I know who will help out through this.
If you are interested, you can email me through this site, my email is listed.

What type of 'heath certs' do you have? An overall bill of good health from a vet?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Well, I'm confused because in your original thread on the subject you made it seem like it was a total mistake. But, it wasn't??

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
I am just wondering why you are posting this breeding on this forum. GRF is about purebred golden retrievers although many members have and love other breeds of dogs and mixed breed dogs that they have gotten through rescue. Most of the members are opposed to breeding mixed breed dogs. I'm sure you could find an online group that would share your excitement about your upcoming litter but this isn't it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Good idea about the donation to the shelter- and another one- give the pups away, and have the owners give the money to the shelter of their choice. ( proven by their receipt on when they take the puppy).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have a golden retriever, and I have been a frequent poster on this forum. I have met many nice people here, and I just thought I would share this news. I have found that lately, people have not been as nice here as they have been before. I do not feel the need to explain myself, or defend myself here. I do not see the need to be accusatory to others either. I have often seen posts that I have not agreed with, or just had a differing opinion with other golden owners. I simply ignore those posts, I do not point fingers, nor do I accuse anyone of wrongdoing.
I did think that this category was for "other pets" meaning any pet other than a golden retriever. I did not know that it excluded mixed breeds.
And also, I do quite a bit of rescue work for my local shelter. I also donate generously. Thank you all for you advice, which I think was not as well meaning as it may seem. :(

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I do have a golden retriever, and I have been a frequent poster on this forum. I have met many nice people here, and I just thought I would share this news. I have found that lately, people have not been as nice here as they have been before. I do not feel the need to explain myself, or defend myself here. I do not see the need to be accusatory to others either. I have often seen posts that I have not agreed with, or just had a differing opinion with other golden owners. I simply ignore those posts, I do not point fingers, nor do I accuse anyone of wrongdoing.
I did think that this category was for "other pets" meaning any pet other than a golden retriever. I did not know that it excluded mixed breeds.
And also, I do quite a bit of rescue work for my local shelter. I also donate generously. Thank you all for you advice, which I think was not as well meaning as it may seem. :(
You first make it sound like an accident, and then you sound like you're proud about it... then you say you've been here for a while... does it really surprise you the response you're getting? Really?

We don't mind mixed breeds. Many of us have some as well.

It's irresponsible breeding and ADDING TO THE POPULATION that we don't like. You do rescue work for your shelter, you should know what it's like.

I think it's really unfair for you to expect people to congratulate you and welcome you with open arms when you've clearly done something that many of us are against.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts