Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately it seems as though there are so many new puppies on the forum and many born in September.

Let's join in here, compare notes and talk about training, food, biting....all that fun stuff. Its always fun to see where others are!

My puppy is Duffy and he was born on September 23.

Kris

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great idea. We sent Ruby to the Bridge in August. She would have been 13 on Sept. 14th. Bauer was born on Sept 22.

Going from a 13 year old sweetheart to an 8wk old firecracker has been quite a change. He was about 11 1/2 lbs when we brought him home. Not exactly sure what he is now. He's due for his next round of shots next week so I will find out then.

He's alot like Ruby was as a puppy in many ways... and different in others. He's not taking to a crate that well but we continue to work on him. He's also a total whiner! Whines when he wants up, whines when he wants down, whines when he wants to sleep and we are busy with something, whines to eat. I like everybody settled down before he sleeps. He will be a slim athletic built dog and suspect he will be around 60 lbs. He's not a big puppy. He was a pretty light eater early on but has become a chow hound lately. He can go all night without peeing and doesn't pee for 3-4 hours in his crate, but when he's up and active, pees about every 45 minutes... maybe more!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't quite qualify, Bailey was born Aug. 15, but I'd like to share as well. We have a 6 yr old, mellow Golden...so getting the puppy was a change for us also, especially since we got Maggie when she was 14 months.

I had a few moments of frustration, but now I'm happy to say that she has not had an accident in a week and uses the bell all the time to go out. I've started some training, sit, come, and a little stay. She's responding well and I can't wait to continue working with her.

She was around 5-7 lbs when we brought her home...now she's 22-25 and looks more like a dog rather than a polar bear cub. She and Maggie get along great. I'd say the biggest challenge right now is sweeping the room for any and everything she might attack.

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
Sam was born September 15. He's 11 weeks and 22 lbs. He sleeps through the night, is crate trained (loves his crate), and house training is going very well.

I'm a little concerned about the fact that he inhales his food. Our other golden isn't all that into his food, never was, even as a puppy. But, Sam chows down so fast, it's scary. I've put a large rock in his bowl, and he picks it up and drops it along side his dish.

Other than the biting thing, which I know will pass, things are going very well! I just happened to have a pic that I took the other day, so I thought I'd post it ;) I know he looks scared to death, but in actuality, he's plotting to jump up and grab the strap from the camera, which he did after I took the pick!

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi,
Our puppy Josie was born 9/24, and we just brought her home last week. Potty training going very well, she bites and chews everything in sight. But, there is one thing really beginning to worry me - growling. The last few days she's been growling more and more. She growls at her toys, and she growled at my husband last night when he removed her from where she was digging at the doorway. Then this morning, I gave her a pigs ear to chew, and she growled at me when I approached her. Isn't is too early for these kinds of behavior? I'm a first time dog owner, and I have 3 kids, so I'm not equipped to handle any agressive tendencies. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Murphy was born 9/6, he will be 13 weeks on Sunday, and he weighs 23 pounds. He rings the bells to go out every time he has to go potty, and only has the occasional accident. He knows how to sit, lay down, and we are working on "wait". He nips and bites a lot, but I think that's just a puppy thing. I walk him everyday and he is really starting to pull on the leash, so I have to get him a gentle leader. Things are going great for the most part! He likes to pester the Christmas tree too, but we just have to keep an eye on him.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
This is a great thread idea, unfortunately my puppy is much older at 10 months now but I wish I had started one back when I brought him home!

I look forward to reading about all of your September (or late-Summer) puppies as they grow up in here together :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice introductions!

I'm also working on training Duffy. He is doing very well with sit, lie down and his stay is awesome. I taught him to sit and stay when I put down his food bowl. He will wait till I give him the word "ok" and then he will run to eat. He is also a chow hound and that worries me so I'll be getting that bowl with the built in barriers!

This morning I made a coin can - an empty pop can with coins inside to use as a distraction sound when he is doing something wrong. For his first few weeks he was pretty good with letting go of my hand, clothing, socks or whatever he had his mouth on, but in the last few days he has been brutal. Just not letting go - ouch!!!

So I made the can and it is working well (so far). He immediately stops what he's doing when I shake it. However, my concern is that it freaks out my other (well behaved I might add) dog, a 3year old toy mutt. I feel bad about that since Teddy is doing NOTHING wrong, but gets scared when he hears the loud noise (sigh).

Duffy likes to take walks, we're working on heel and he is about 35% good. So not too great, but at least some of the time he walks nicely. He does get that he is to sit down when we stop walking and he's pretty reliable with that one.

As far as housebreaking....well, most of the time he's good. He doesn't let us know when he wants to go out, so if I'm not totally vigilant about getting him outside, he will leave a surprise. Once he gets outside, though, he knows his command to pee and does it right away. We're working on the bell ringing.

He doesn't love his crate, but he will stay in there all night without whining. At 5 AM when my husband gets up for work, he lets Duffy out to do his business and then puts him back in the crate till 7:30 when I get up. Thankfully, from day one, he has never howled or cried in the crate. That was a pleasant surprise!

He is going to be a big guy, his dad was an 80-pounder.

Oh, and he knows 'give paw', too!

I don't have a very recent, pic, but this youtube video was taken 3 days ago:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Our puppy Josie was born 9/24, and we just brought her home last week. Potty training going very well, she bites and chews everything in sight. But, there is one thing really beginning to worry me - growling.
I can tell you that I haven't heard Duffy growl yet. He makes growl/bark noises when he plays with our other dog, but doesn't growl at any people in the house. I take things away from him 100 times a day without any reaction from him at all except for a goofy look.

I would ask your vet about it. Or maybe enroll in a puppy class.

I am planning on enrolling Duffy in a puppy obedience class after the holidays. He will be finished with his shots and it will be a good time to start with the business of Christmas behind us.

We haven't put up our Christmas tree. We have a 7' artificial tree and I'm a bit worried about putting it up. Just more 'stuff' for him to get into. I don't have a gate to put around it. I'm considering getting a small table top tree and putting it up high enough that he can't get at it.

Any Christmas tree thoughts?

Kris

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That video is so funny!! That's exactly what Murphy does to our cats, because he just wants to play with them so bad!! What a cutie pie! How much does Duffy weigh?? He looks like a big boy!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Any Christmas tree thoughts?
I can tell you I was really worried about how Murphy would be with the tree, but he really doesn't bother it nearly as much as I thought. It's more of an occasional walk by sniffing/nipping at the tips thing. One of those things where I can distract him and he walks away from the tree. He's more interested in eating the pine needles than anything.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,
Our puppy Josie was born 9/24, and we just brought her home last week. Potty training going very well, she bites and chews everything in sight. But, there is one thing really beginning to worry me - growling. The last few days she's been growling more and more. She growls at her toys, and she growled at my husband last night when he removed her from where she was digging at the doorway. Then this morning, I gave her a pigs ear to chew, and she growled at me when I approached her. Isn't is too early for these kinds of behavior? I'm a first time dog owner, and I have 3 kids, so I'm not equipped to handle any agressive tendencies. Any suggestions?

here is a helpful article. It's very similar to what we are working on with our 6 month old golden with a trainer, "Trade Ya."

http://www.canineuniversity.com/articles/behavior/behave_11.html

·
Breec3
691 Posts
Hunter was born September 22nd he weighed 10.6 pounds when I brought him home two weeks ago this Saturday, he must have gained 5 lbs in two weeks. Hunter is due for his shots next week so we will see his new weight.

He is pretty good about letting me know he has to go potty, he doesnt like sleeping in my bed anymore I think he gets to hot and whines to get down. I had to bring him in the basement lastnight (we have a bedroom down there) and I slept in there. There is nothing for him to destroy so he dont have to be crated in there.

I dont like crating him at night so this may be my bedroom for awhile for a good while. He doesnt like being alone and whines for someone to be by his side.

I crate him when I am working, for his safety and he dont have potty accidents unless we are late coming home and throw his schedule off a bit.

He wants to be friends with out cat so bad, but the cat will not have it, he hisses everytime the puppy bounces toward him for attack play:)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
As you already have an August puppy joining, can October puppies also join? It seems there's a lot to compare and share on this thread...

·
Hello all:)
72 Posts
We haven't brought our puppy home yet he is almost 5 wks old but I had to write and say that the video of Duffy is hilarious!!!The cat is like "you IDIOT" LOL!:roflmao:

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Our Murphy was born on August 23, 2009.....almost September :)
His last vet visit his weight was almost 24 pounds, he goes back to the vet on 12/19. Murphy is our 2nd golden, we have his 1/2 brother Chester who was 2 in August (same mom different dad). The only problem we have really had was we had to switch foods, we switched him from what the breeder was feeding him to Cal Naturals puppy but we think it was to rich for him...he was then on a bland diet food from the vets and is now eating Science Diet (not my first choice but its working for him) we will try Cal Naturals maybe later in life because that is what Chester eats. I would say he is 98 % house broken...if we aren't paying attention to him I think he would pee by the back door. But is asking to go out now....about two weeks ago it just hit him like hey if I walk back here and they see me I can pee in the backyard like those nice people like me to. He will sit and down for me and right now comes very well when called... I know that might not last. Murphy starts Puppy classes with our local kennel club next Monday so it will be fun to see him around other dogs his age. Him and Chester can play a bit to ruff, I am never sure when to break up the ruff dog playing. Chester is bigger and may hurt Murphy...but those puppy teeth can hurt Chester. Hmmm...and Murphy knows when it's bedtime....somewhere between 10:30 and 11:00 he goes for his last potty break and we come in...he is now racing me up the stairs and waiting by his crate for his kiss and a cookie. I love hearing about the other pups about the same age.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
we switched him from what the breeder was feeding him to Cal Naturals puppy but we think it was to rich for him
This is what my Murphy is eating too and he has HORRIBLE gas!! Is that the problem your Murphy was having? I'm wondering if it's his food.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie and I went to our first puppy kindergarten today! She is going to be pretty stubborn I think. There was a Goldendoodle there that was so calm and did everything on the first try, while Josie was running around paying no attention. She really enjoyed the doggie play though, and she's been so tired this afternoon. I'm getting better at asserting myself though, and now I'm thinking the growling is just a test. She pretty much only does it when she's tugging on something (usually my shirt, but toys too), and she was very vocal at class today. I think I'll still speak to a trainer about her, and look into some extra lessons for me. Thanks nolefan for the advice, I tried to PM you back, but I don't have enough posts yet.
I'll try to figure out how to post a picture soon.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't wait to start puppy kindergarten. I think it will be a lot of fun for both of us.

You know, what you mentioned about being vocal...maybe that's really all it is! She could just become a very talkative dog.

Kris

1 - 20 of 297 Posts