Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my pup in the near future and signed up for a subscription service for Pupbox. Apparently they send different 4-5 different types toys and treats each month of the puppy life for the extent of your membership. I signed up for a year. I wanted to work on training right away so I wanted treats on hand. Should I be exposing my pup to so many different commercial treats? Is it safer on digestion/allergies and health overall to just stick with 1 low calorie training treat instead of having a bunch of different types of rotating treats. I could be overthinking it. I had a dog in the past that suffered horribly with allergies so now I'm wondering about this. My question is does anyone on the forum have good experiences using this subscription service or could answer the question above?

·
Noreaster
2,149 Posts
I think your instincts are good. I would be concerned about swapping treats around so much unless your pup turns out to have a iron-clad digestive system, which many Goldens have, but why risk it?

Do they have a new toys only option?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I’m going to be honest I HATED our pupbox. Hated it. The toys are SO cheap, and the treats are nothing special. I could go to tractor supply or my local agway and buy everything in the pupbox for less. The toys get destroyed in a day if your dog is any kind of moderate player/chewer, they’re cheap. And after about 3 boxes that were so disappointing I wanted to cancel our subscription but even if you want to cancel you are locked into how ever many months you signed up for. So we stuck it out and immediately cancelled when our subscription was over. Not worth the money.

EDIT: The treats are also just things you can get in the store....zukes, blue buffalo, wellness etc.

The only subscription I recommend is Real Dog Box for chews and treats.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm getting my pup in the near future and signed up for a subscription service for Pupbox. Apparently they send different 4-5 different types toys and treats each month of the puppy life for the extent of your membership. I signed up for a year. I wanted to work on training right away so I wanted treats on hand. Should I be exposing my pup to so many different commercial treats? Is it safer on digestion/allergies and health overall to just stick with 1 low calorie training treat instead of having a bunch of different types of rotating treats. I could be overthinking it. I had a dog in the past that suffered horribly with allergies so now I'm wondering about this. My question is does anyone on the forum have good experiences using this subscription service or could answer the question above?
I get a Barkbox. They have cute themes and quality/unique toys. I enjoy Logan and Abby's excitement when it comes and it amuses me they know it is their box before I open it. Logan enjoys the toys. Abby cares about food. A lot of times the treats have way too many calories per treat. I don't give those to my dogs. I haven't heard of Pupbox. I don't know that I'd want to get too adventurous with a new puppy and a big variety of treats.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The ways people waste money never ceases to amaze me.
$29 x 12 months = $348
Go to the local farm and home store or online to Chewy.
Buy a bunch of treats, toys and training aids. Put the remaining $150-$250 in your retirement savings, on your home mortgage, give it to a local charity, etc.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The ways people waste money never ceases to amaze me.
$29 x 12 months = $348
Go to the local farm and home store or online to Chewy.
Buy a bunch of treats, toys and training aids. Put the remaining $150-$250 in your retirement savings, on your home mortgage, give it to a local charity, etc.
Sounds like something good for you to do!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi! We have our puppy on a Pupbox subscription. I actually like the variety of toys and different treats that come with it. Our puppy isn't really a destroyer of toys, so maybe if he was, I'd feel differently about this subscription service. He's only destroyed one toy in the 4+ months since we've had him, but he played with it a lot, so it was likely also normal wear and tear. For the treats, I don't think a single one has made him feel sick, but we use treats very sparingly in our household. One Pupbox treat bag(s) lasts us that month or more because I always break them up into smaller pieces and we have so many other low calorie training treats that we also purchase. So I like to use the Pupbox treats as higher value treats for like morning nap time or bed time in the crate.

What I liked the most, as a first time puppy owner, were the puppy training guides that come in each box. Each are tracked to your puppy's age (e.g., at 3 months, they'll be doing this and expect this, and you can do this in to train him to do this -- they were eerily accurate in predicting the behavior issues that my puppy was going through that month too).

Is it worth it? I think some months it's a great value and other months so-so, but because you and your puppy are exposed to so many different things, you get to try different things to see what he ends up liking. For example, in his 4 or 5 month pupbox, a lamb horn came in it (which I would have never thought to purchase for him), but he loves, loves it. It's both soft enough to have give when he chomps on it and yet hard enough not to break away so easily, so great for his teeth and chewing. I looked it up, it was selling for $13 on Chewy, so combined with the other things that month, I think we walked away with a win. And some months, it might not be so worth it, but the amount we have spent on our puppy since we got him (e.g., the training classes, his high quality food and treats, his grooming, etc), the cost of his Pupbox is like a drop in the bucket.

There are various coupon codes that you can use to get a huge discount off of your first box, which I did. I think I got like 90% off, and if you just try a 6 month subscription, really, you're only paying for 5 months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I didn't I would not have said it.
Do you believe I have offered poor advice?
Hello! You didn't offer the advice I was asking for. You offered your judgment on how I should handle my finances. My original question was if you had experience using PupBox or advice on exposing pup to so many commercial treats at an early age. Not how I should spend my money. Appreciate your concern though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi! We have our puppy on a Pupbox subscription. I actually like the variety of toys and different treats that come with it. Our puppy isn't really a destroyer of toys, so maybe if he was, I'd feel differently about this subscription service. He's only destroyed one toy in the 4+ months since we've had him, but he played with it a lot, so it was likely also normal wear and tear. For the treats, I don't think a single one has made him feel sick, but we use treats very sparingly in our household. One Pupbox treat bag(s) lasts us that month or more because I always break them up into smaller pieces and we have so many other low calorie training treats that we also purchase. So I like to use the Pupbox treats as higher value treats for like morning nap time or bed time in the crate.

What I liked the most, as a first time puppy owner, were the puppy training guides that come in each box. Each are tracked to your puppy's age (e.g., at 3 months, they'll be doing this and expect this, and you can do this in to train him to do this -- they were eerily accurate in predicting the behavior issues that my puppy was going through that month too).

Is it worth it? I think some months it's a great value and other months so-so, but because you and your puppy are exposed to so many different things, you get to try different things to see what he ends up liking. For example, in his 4 or 5 month pupbox, a lamb horn came in it (which I would have never thought to purchase for him), but he loves, loves it. It's both soft enough to have give when he chomps on it and yet hard enough not to break away so easily, so great for his teeth and chewing. I looked it up, it was selling for $13 on Chewy, so combined with the other things that month, I think we walked away with a win. And some months, it might not be so worth it, but the amount we have spent on our puppy since we got him (e.g., the training classes, his high quality food and treats, his grooming, etc), the cost of his Pupbox is like a drop in the bucket.

There are various coupon codes that you can use to get a huge discount off of your first box, which I did. I think I got like 90% off, and if you just try a 6 month subscription, really, you're only paying for 5 months.
I appreciate this response. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get a Barkbox. They have cute themes and quality/unique toys. I enjoy Logan and Abby's excitement when it comes and it amuses me they know it is their box before I open it. Logan enjoys the toys. Abby cares about food. A lot of times the treats have way too many calories per treat. I don't give those to my dogs. I haven't heard of Pupbox. I don't know that I'd want to get too adventurous with a new puppy and a big variety of treats.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m going to be honest I HATED our pupbox. Hated it. The toys are SO cheap, and the treats are nothing special. I could go to tractor supply or my local agway and buy everything in the pupbox for less. The toys get destroyed in a day if your dog is any kind of moderate player/chewer, they’re cheap. And after about 3 boxes that were so disappointing I wanted to cancel our subscription but even if you want to cancel you are locked into how ever many months you signed up for. So we stuck it out and immediately cancelled when our subscription was over. Not worth the money.

EDIT: The treats are also just things you can get in the store....zukes, blue buffalo, wellness etc.

The only subscription I recommend is Real Dog Box for chews and treats.
Good to know!!! Thanks for your input!!! :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Good to know!!! Thanks for your input!!! :)
I will add, I have 2 Goldens and they play with toys together, but I would not say they are rough with toys (and we have other toys that have lasted a long time). As far as the treats, I had no problems using different treats with either of mine as puppies, and we tried a lot of training treats, boiled chicken, cut up hot dogs, basically whatever we had and whatever worked. Some puppies have sensitive stomachs, neither of mine do. As long as you aren’t feeding an entire bag or treats in one sitting I think you’ll probably be ok. And when puppies are super tiny you can break treats in half to make them smaller and last longer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I personally prefer Barkbox. Pupbox often adds a lot of random things I already/don't need, like water bottles, long leads, etc. And as someone mentioned, their toys aren't great quality. A big chewer will destroy them in hours. On the other hand, our Barkbox toys have lasted since forever, and I rotate the toys now so they seem "new".

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My dogs LOVE the barkbox toys with the spiky ball inside. I hated the treats because I were too big to use for training. We canceled two years ago and still have tons of blue spiky balls floating around! Now I just buy an occasional new toy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another vote for Barkbox! The themes are super cute, and I feel like the toys are well made. We have a toy-destroyer in our Barkley boy, and about 2 months ago switched to their Super Chewer box because the stuffed toys didn't last long. Their customer service is fabulous; we figured out pretty quickly that all the different monthly treats was going to be too tough on his little puppy stomach, so instead of treats we got an extra toy. Barkbox also has an annual subscription instead of monthly that we signed up for after the first year; we appreciated the savings.

You're smart to be checking into this now! Always pays to be prepared :) Let us know what you choose.

ps
Barkley loves the spikey squeaky balls too! Those are his absolute favs!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Another vote for Barkbox! The themes are super cute, and I feel like the toys are well made. We have a toy-destroyer in our Barkley boy, and about 2 months ago switched to their Super Chewer box because the stuffed toys didn't last long. Their customer service is fabulous; we figured out pretty quickly that all the different monthly treats was going to be too tough on his little puppy stomach, so instead of treats we got an extra toy. Barkbox also has an annual subscription instead of monthly that we signed up for after the first year; we appreciated the savings.

You're smart to be checking into this now! Always pays to be prepared :) Let us know what you choose.

ps
Barkley loves the spikey squeaky balls too! Those are his absolute favs!
Strangely enough.....the ones with the spiky balls that are meant to be destroyed lasted longest in our house! We specifically requested the spiky ball ones.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I had Barkbox for about a year. I loved it. Only cancelled it to a) let us get through the overflow of toys we currently have and b) save money when the pandemic hit and we needed to tighten the belts. If we ever run out of toys I'd love to re-subscribe. I found the barkbox to be a cute splurge and I love the themes. The spiky balls also last forever with our pups. And Lana is enamored with the Mystery Machine toy from last year sometime. It's her constant companion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts