Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 5 month old pup has had horrifying gut issues now for a month. Started with a potentially bad bag of purina pro plan shredded chicken and has not been able to tolerate any dry food since. Has come back negative for parasites and will be tested again this week. The poor thing is miserable and I assume hungry from the bland diet has been on. Anyone have these issues? Just bought a salmon allergen friendly food in hopes he can transition to this slowly. The only thing we can think of is maybe a sensitivity to chicken? He also has what seems to be a rash on his poor undercarriage. Help! 馃槙

Registered
I responded to this post. You might find some good info from other folks too. Also, just enter sensitive stomach, or diarrhea into the search bar. Good luck!

Registered
Back when the shred version of PPP came out, LOTS of dogs, particularly Goldens, had issue with it.

I'd put pup on boiled chicken and white rice with the rice water included, with a couple spoonfuls of pumpkin (Libby), and a probiotic (could be plain unsweetened yogurt) for at least a week or two before adding back in a kibble of some sort. The problem w inflamed gut is it keeps reacting even after the initial situation is over- so you have to go really slow to get him back on kibble. I'd use a different protein, probably a fish or rabbit. If he is allergic to chicken you'll know it pretty fast using the bland rice mix.
Also, ask your vet to put him on metronidiazole, and possibly fenbendazole along with- just in case the fecals are missing something. Go slow whatever you do.

Kristy
Hi all. My 5 month old pup has had horrifying gut issues now for a month.... The poor thing is miserable and I assume hungry from the bland diet has been on......He also has what seems to be a rash on his poor undercarriage. Help! 馃槙
So sorry you're going through this. I would follow the advice from Prism. The takeaway being that inflamed digestive tract really needs a break to heal. If you don't mind following up and letting us know how things go, I'd like to hear. Fingers crossed for you and your puppy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts