Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking for input on what kind of pumpkin others use? My one dog does not like Cold foods (he is 13) and with the canned pumpkin I have to refrigerate after opening. I was wondering if there is any input on something that is either small servings or a treat type thing and if it is as beneficial as canned pumpkin?

Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I open a can of pumpkin and drop big tablespoons on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper and freeze it. Then I pop them into a freezer bag and give them as treats or if he seems to need a little fiber. Rukie thinks they are special popsicles just for him. I get Great Value or Libby brand, he doesn't care which.

·
Registered
Billie
58 Posts
I do canned organic pumpkin (its usually the only one I can find) and I put it into an ice cube tray so it makes little cubes of pumpkin. If he doesnt like things cold, I would try making chews out of them just by baking slices for a long time, Or even just roasted and added to top on the food. I do this with sweet potatoes, in the oven for four hours at 250 degrees cut into strips. Also, I know there are some more expensive options like raw pumpkin dog food, but it gets pricey for a food topper/treat.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I add half a box of Honest Kitchen Pumpkin Stews (THE HONEST KITCHEN Pumpkin POUR OVERS Variety Pack Wet Dog Food Toppers, 5.5-oz, 3 pack - Chewy.com) to Windsor's breakfast every morning. The boxes are tiny so you don't have to worry about keeping it refrigerated for too long and not using it all up (that was my one knock against the canned pumpkin purees, they're just so big).

And the pumpkin is mixed in with other stuff to provide an extra boost to morning breakfast. And super easy to try, they're like $1.90 a box or if you want a pack with all three flavors, it's like $6.00. I love it because it helps keep his poops nice in consistency.

I also have given him a box of these topped on one meal before (before I regularly added this to his daily diet) as well so you don't have to worry about it being cold. You don't need to refrigerate before opening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts