Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a definite shortage of pumpkin around here - the store shelves are empty.

My dogs both love pumpkin mixed in their kibble. Is there another alternative that provides the same nutrition? I have a box of frozen squash - would that be as good for them do you think?

Kris

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
A good quality kibble will cover your dog's nutritional needs. What are you using the pumpkin for? People generally use it as a "filler" when trying to help a dog lose weight.

What is your goal with the additive?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bil who has a greyhound told me it was good to keep their stools firm and had good nutritional value. So maybe I shouldn't give it? Don't need to?

Kris

·
Registered
306 Posts
i thought it was an "use only when needed" kind of thing.

i give layla maybe an egg a week and occasionally mix fat free plain yogurt in her kibble. have yet to use pumpkin.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I don't think there's a set reason to use it -- unless you're having a problem. Yes, it is good for loose stool and it also works as a good nutritional "filler" if you're cutting back to help the dog shed pounds. If you're not having any problems, I don't think you'd need it.

·
Cedar's Mom
851 Posts
I don't feed pumpkin all the time, but try to have some on hand as it helps with constipation as well as loose stools. Would love to know if something else would also work, since pumpkin is hard to find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts