Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ellie is 10 months old and has never really liked me to brush her or cut her nails . (Not very affectionate n hoping that will change)...She lets me touch her paws until I take out clipper (I use the regular clippers not the guillotine ones). I hv had some good calm nail trims on SOME RARE days but i feel like since she just ended her first heat she is more difficult (even a professional groomer has trouble with her that’s why I try to do it at home)-I try to do a little bit every day if she’s too stressed out I just have to walk away don’t want to be a bad experience. Any advice help help help her nails are getting long.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You could try a dremel. Some dogs hate clippers, but will tolerate the dremel. I have this one, and it works really well:

https://www.chewy.com/dremel-7300-pt-dog-cat-nail-grinder/dp/156127?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Dremel&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Ymv1a_L4QIVg4vICh2OyAxeEAQYASABEgLXsfD_BwE

Get your dog used to it before you try it. Set it on the ground and let her investigate, then touch it to her nails while it is off. Praise and offer treats when she allows it. Then turn it on and set it down. Let her get used to the noise. When she ignores it, praise and treat. Then, touch it to each nail while it is on, then gradually extend the time that you use it on each nail. I feed my dog carrots the entire time I do his nails. He munches one while I do each foot and couldn't care less about what I am doing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could try a dremel. Some dogs hate clippers, but will tolerate the dremel. I have this one, and it works really well:

I have seen videos on the Dremel and I guess I’m afraid to get to the point where it gets really hot and hurts them? Does it get hot easily? And also I hear that the vibration can scare them but heck, if I can’t even use a clipper I’m sure this would definitely be worth a try. My husband says he could always use it either way also!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not sure what your method is, but a groomer taught me a way that might help. Sit/Stand parallel to your dog facing her rear. Pull her leg back and paw up. She used this method on Piper and she didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what your method is, but a groomer taught me a way that might help. Sit/Stand parallel to your dog facing her rear. Pull her leg back and paw up. She used this method on Piper and she didn't have any issues.

Yes I saw the vet do that during one visit she actually knelt down and put one of her knees under Ellie’sbelly to support her and pulled her back legs up like you described. This is just stressing me out so much as our last golden retriever was a male n was so much easier. I did all the grooming and bathing for him he let me cut any knots behind his ears with the scissors I did his nails etc. and she is the complete opposite. Lord give me strength!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have seen videos on the Dremel and I guess I’m afraid to get to the point where it gets really hot and hurts them? Does it get hot easily? And also I hear that the vibration can scare them but heck, if I can’t even use a clipper I’m sure this would definitely be worth a try. My husband says he could always use it either way also!!
It takes several seconds. You could use it on a nail for about 5 seconds, then move to another, and then make a second pass, if needed. I don't need more than five seconds to dremel a single nail. I use the high setting and it works pretty quickly. I dremel about every other week. I don't notice much vibration, unless the little sander thing needs to be changed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts