Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maggie is almost 1 and has started a strange behavior. She will start biting at the longer hair in an area, not a specific area, and will pull it out. This is not a constant thing and occurs randomly. It doesn't seem to happen for any reason: bored, stressed, anxious. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Jules

·
Registered
598 Posts
Huh, well, if it's only happening occasionally and not in any particular spots maybe she's like my girl and just has a special affinity for tearing out fur.

Lune doesn't do it to herself but she does favor toys that have fake tufts of fur for her to sit and methodically pull out. See the little tuft on the top of this toy? That's what she'll go after: https://www.chewy.com/kong-cozie-spunky-monkey-dog-toy/dp/47741

She spits the little balls of fur out but I sit with her anyway when she has a toy like that so I can take the furballs out of her mouth if I don't think she's spitting them out fast enough.

Does Maggie have any toys like that? Maybe test one out on her and see if that relieves her interest.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Rufus can pull a sizable chunk of his fur if he feels even a smallest (invisible to human eye) knot on his fur. Only if his hair is perfectly brushed he will leave it alone, anything less than that he will pull his hair out.

In the first week after I adopted him at the age of two, during a morning walk he collected a few burrs in his tail. I didn’t have the time to deal with it before work planning to clean him after work. By the time I got home, he pulled ALL hair from his tail. Blood was everywhere on the floor, he had a rat tail for the next 6 months and it was not healing well. I learnt any tiny knot or burr I have to remove immediately otherwise he will take care of it. He comes to me and shows his problem area, so his hair pulling never comes as a surprise any more, though sometimes I have to search for some time for this tiny knot as his fur is very dense.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Good to know there are others that do this a bit. The good news is she isn't incessantly pulling it out. I am going to watch extra closely to see if it is something like a burr or something in her fur she is trying to get.

Jules

1 - 5 of 5 Posts