Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucca puked in his crate this morning just right after he woke up. We heard the gurgling sound and before we could let him out of his crate (he sleeps in his crate), he threw up. Right after that, I fed him his usual breakfast which is Fromm adult. But he ate exceptionally slow today. Usually he gobbles his food. We left him to play and he was pretty much normal.

We then went out and crated him. When we got back, we saw a huge (and i mean huge) chunk of vomit in his crate which i suspected is his breakfast. He was still ok and playing. Right after he drank some water, he threw up a little white foamy stuff.

He hasn't eaten anything different these few days. Just the usual treats he has been getting + his food. However, i noticed that when i switched him from Fromm large breed puppy to adult, he started throwing up. With the first 33Ibs bag of adult food, he threw up say 2 or 3 times but very teeny weeny amount. With this 2nd bag of 33 Ibs food, he threw up abt 3-4 times or was it 2-3 times. He never ever threw up when he was on Fromm large breed puppy.

Should I be extremely concern abt this? And should I continue to feed him his dog food tonight or cook something for him? He has never eaten home cook meals. Wondering if that will upset his stomach more.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to update. I tried to feed lucca his usual dog food again but he wouldn't even touch his food now. After his evening pee and poo, we came home and i gave him 1/2 a natural balance biscuit which he has been taking all these while. Tried to hand feed him his food but he only ate 1 kibble. Then he started vomitting again. There was nothing from his poo to suggest that he has ingested something from his toys. His poo was also normal (firm).

Not sure if he has ingested something from his toys that I don't know. Should I give his stomach a rest by fasting him? Or give him some rice and boiled chicken?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
If he cannot hold water down, he needs vet intervention. If he wil not drink, he needs vet intervention. The gurgling you are hearing is borborymus, an indicator of an intestinal upset. If he vomits in spite of taking in nothing, he needs vet intervention. Offer him small sips of water, if he refuses or vomits, go see the vet.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He hasn't been drinking much today though he took some water in the afternoon. How do I take his temperature and what should the usual temperature be? He's taking a nap now. I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow morning. I'm wondering if it's the food he's taking.

I'm giving his stomach a rest now. HIs last meal was this morning at 8am. Will see how he is tomorrow. Gosh. He hasn't fallen sick before apart from the time after his DHLPPC + rabies jab.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I can't offer much except that you should definitely get him to a vet! I would keep him in your room tonight so you can monitor him in case things go way south.

I hope the vet helps you out tomorrow and he starts feeling better soon!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh definitely. I'm letting him sleep on the bed tonight. Usually he sleeps in his crate which is in my room as well but can't bear to let him sleep in the crate tonight. I'm gonna monitor him closely and see if he wants to eat tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Oh definitely. I'm letting him sleep on the bed tonight. Usually he sleeps in his crate which is in my room as well but can't bear to let him sleep in the crate tonight. I'm gonna monitor him closely and see if he wants to eat tomorrow morning.

For what it's worth, Flora was really sick for a 48 hour period when she was a young puppy - gagging, throwing up bile, not eating, etc. The vet saw her and just said she had an upset stomach. She was fit as a fiddle once it passed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks thanks. It's reassuring to hear that. Hopefully Lucca is just down with an upset stomach and nothing serious and it'll pass very soon. I'll try to give him some boiled chicken and rice tomorrow morning and see if he still throws up. Think I should stop his dog food for now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poor Lucca boy is still throwing up so i'm taking him to the vet tomorrow morning. I fed him a teeny weeny bit of his food cos he seems to want to eat them after awhile. But after a few hrs he threw up again. He looks so tired now. My poor boy.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I hope he can hold on till tomorrow morning. I will pray for your cute, little guy.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Temp should be taken anally and normal temp is from 100-101 degrees.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Luca

Luca

Praying Luca is better. If not, get him to the vet right away!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys!! Lucca is much much much better today. No more puking and he ate up all the boiled chicken and rice I gave him this morning. No more strange gurgling sounds from him. Then he went to play with his stuff toys. Thanks thanks guys for the prayers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't bring him to the vet in the end cos' he's as fit as a fiddle today. Running up and down the stairs in my house and zooming around with his toys. Gosh. No more puking whatsoever.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Thank heavens

Thank Heavens!!

Whenever I hear puking or diarrhea and it's a puppy I can't help but worry about Parvo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts