Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I understand the Pudden posted here recently (I thought those were paw prints on my key board) about which cover to choose for her chair.

She told me the green fern won hands-down, but alas, I was 2 yards short and had to order some more. So in the meantime we made one from the second-place finisher, the psychedelic 60-ies era migrane flowers :bowl:

The Pudden has taken an extraordinary interest in the sewing process; she was always right there and insisted on getting her silly nose measured, cut, ironed, or pin-fitted.

Here she is at work and showing off the finished product:

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Pudden sure is watching the progress closely! Don't be surprised if she starts her own home based industry.

She does look happy with the finished result.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Well Pudden.Very good job on helping mama.She needs control and supervision.I hope you will get a green fern fabric soon,because this one make me little dizzy.Are you OK when you lay down on this chair,or it's fills like a roller coaster. Know I have a ? about Iron on the picture.Is this for real,or it just a door holder>

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Good job Pudden!! :)

You do great sewing work! It looks very good! I gotta ask about the iron though...real? You have a mitt on, so i'm thinking real. Doh!

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Pudden.Very good job on helping mama.She needs control and supervision.I hope you will get a green fern fabric soon,because this one make me little dizzy.Are you OK when you lay down on this chair,or it's fills like a roller coaster. Know I have a ? about Iron on the picture.Is this for real,or it just a door holder>
Lol - nope, it's a real cast-iron one. I don't have electricity, so when sewing I use the lil' mini-generator to make power for the sewing machine and a light bulb, but it doesn't have enough juice for an electric iron. The cast-iron one works great. It sits on the stove to heat up and will hold heat for a long time.

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
batteries...they last for about 6 hours each, and I have 2. And when the mini-generator is on for a couple hours every other night or so, I re-load them.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Lol - nope, it's a real cast-iron one. I don't have electricity, so when sewing I use the lil' mini-generator to make power for the sewing machine and a light bulb, but it doesn't have enough juice for an electric iron. The cast-iron one works great. heat up and will hold hIt sits on the stove to eat for a long time.

No kidding! My gram,gramma had one like that.Know i have to ask about stove-don't tell me you using a wood burner one.:no:I hope it's a gas.

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's an oil drip stove - it uses diesel (heating oil). Not much wood here north of the treeline...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Great job Pudden! And great job Pudden's Mom LOL- That slipcover looks pretty cool- I won't post photos with my Grandmother's chair that I re-upholstered in a class LOL- pretty vibrant too :D

·
Cedar's Mom
851 Posts
WOW! I'm afraid that if I had to iron like that, I'd NEVER iron (not that I do much anyway)

OOPS - meant to say GREAT job on the cover! guess I got sidetracked by the electricity thing too

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
What an awesome life you guys have!! I have an iron just like that, but I use it for decoration in my laundry room. :curtain: I LOVE the slipcover. You & Pudden did an great job. Looks totally professional!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah I think a bunch of us would be LOST with good ole electricity. Just how far are you the nearest population center? Ive seen you mention Nome. Wow thats isolation. Your sewing skills are great. It amazed me as a kid to watch my greatgrandmother hand sew quilts. My mother has saved the ones shes made for me. They're only used as an absolute special occasion.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
WOW I dont know which I am more amazed about. The great sewing job you did or living without electricity and using a cast iron iron. You are a very multitalented person with a great helper. Takes a tough dog and person to live like you do. My hat is off to you.

·
16,000 Posts
Wow. Do I ever feel totally and completely inadequate! I have electricity and I can't do HALF (or even a quarter!) of what you do!!!!!!!!!

LOVE the chair.

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:lol:
I'm not very tough, people. I like it warm, comfy and snuggly, and my place is all that. I also like it quiet, which is my main criterion and that's why I don't live in town :) Traffic and people noise really gets to me.
It's a fairly common scenario in bush Alaska, and even in bigger cities like Fairbanks. I was a grad student there and NONE of my fellow students had plumbing.

But when you tell people from the lower 48 that you live in a small cabin in the boonies with no plumbing or electricity, they think you're the unabomber or something. You gotta be careful :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts