Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't want this to get lost- so posted under general rather than health-

In May, the Breeders Education Committee is skipping its normal Breeder interview series to present an educational webinar on Pigmentary Uveitis in Golden Retrievers with Dr. Wendy Townsend. This has been the most asked for subject that breeders and Golden Retriever owners have asked us to cover. 

We’re very grateful that Dr. Townsend has agreed to put on a presentation and answer questions from our audience. Dr. Townsend is the foremost researcher in this area and has been working closely with GRCA over the years to gather information. Because we would like to get as many of the questions in advance as possible, we will only be able to take questions from the people who attend the webinar via zoom. And we are asking you to please send your questions. We know there will be more questions that will come up in the course of the webinar and we will try to get to those questions that are asked on Zoom.

We have asked Ann Hubbs who is the Chair of the GRCA Health and Genetics committee to moderate this webinar with us. Breeder Education and Health and Genetic information obviously go hand-in-hand as we work to breed and manage healthier dogs.

The webinar invitation is found below and we hope you will find time in your busy schedules to learn more about this condition which can affect all of our dogs.

Hi there,

You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: May 25, 2021 04:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Pigmentary Uveitis With Wendy Townsend DVM

Register in advance for this webinar:
Welcome! You are invited to join a webinar: Pigmentary Uveitis With Wendy Townsend DVM. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the webinar.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you will attend and learn! But even if you miss it, it'll be available a couple days after the live event on FB and YouTube under GRCA Breeder Education Committee's page.
And that was the initial page on your contract saying be careful on grain free food and get eye exams!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I hope you will attend and learn! But even if you miss it, it'll be available a couple days after the live event on FB and YouTube under GRCA Breeder Education Committee's page.
And that was the initial page on your contract saying be careful on grain free food and get eye exams!
I know. I'm glad you informed me about it because I had never heard of it until then. I knew about grain free foods and DCM.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,812 Posts
I'm excited for this one, and I hope everyone signs up for it.

Reactions: Prism Goldens

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I'll miss it b/c I'll be working but I'll get to watch it when it's posted on youtube afterwards. Thank you for making this available to us. :)

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
here you are- and I am sooo proud-- BEC noted in our weekly meetings, as we do before every webinar (the research on the topic) , the OFA database notes all cysts as singular and so, we got them to break down the last 10 years' research copies and found that lots of risk sits with multiple cysts, which when it is not reported on the database (since that is the info that most breeders use in researching a stud dog) as multiple cysts is a problem when doing due diligence on stud dogs. A few emails later, and a couple of phone calls through OFA, then the ACVO regional person, who passed to the Chair of ACVO, and this amazing change in reporting has happened. This is HUGE. Now the OFA database will report single, multiple and free floating (though one should realize ff cysts and multiple typically go hand in hand). This change is on the webinar at exactly an hour in, and if BEC does nothing else in our term this year, this one accomplishment is so very important.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
This was such a fantastic webinar. I learned SO much. Do you know if a copy of the presentation will be available to attendees?

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not written - it is now on Youtube and the BEC FB page.

As hard as it is to consider, I wish everyone would consider donating eyes when dogs are euthanized ESPECIALLY if the dog has had eye exams at any time in his lifetime. It appears that is the fastest //best way we will learn the gene combos responsible.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I just watched the first 30 minutes. It's fascinating. I'm going to watch in segments as I go through today and maybe tomorrow.

To be honest, I've never thought about dog organ donation. I'm an organ donor. How does one go about doing it with dogs? Perhaps it is covered later in the webinar.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I just watched the first 30 minutes. It's fascinating. I'm going to watch in segments as I go through today and maybe tomorrow.

To be honest, I've never thought about dog organ donation. I'm an organ donor. How does one go about doing it with dogs? Perhaps it is covered later in the webinar.
It’s not organ donation in the same way as humans - there is a PU study being done and they are asking for eyes to be donated to the study to be examined and dissected. They are trying to find the cluster of genes causing PU, but they need eyes from old, dead dogs in order establish the controls. The geneticist that has been working on this said toward the end of the webinar that they have had a difficult time establishing controls because PU can strike very late in life and may go undiagnosed because of that. If they can get enough eyes donated to confirm the presence and absence of PU in these dogs then they will eventually be able to find the genes responsible for the condition.

I also found it to be very interesting that dogs in the UK don’t really get PU, it seems to be mostly North American lines, so there must be an old dog on our side of the pond with the initial mutation(s).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts