Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Puddles
3,644 Posts
Guys, go back and reread her original post from last year. She has had issues with this pup from the very beginning and believe he was sent off for training. Or it was at least a consideration. I don't know if she did this or not, I didn't read all the old post. I hope she will give an update but there is so much more going on. She and this pup have had a very rough start. It's hard to tell if this is emotional or physical with the dog ... or the owner.

Regardless, I hope all is well for both.

·
3 goldens
11,761 Posts
I know a lady who trained dog, worked with with, etc and had goldens herself. One, a female, started acing "weird" and at first she growled at dogs that were there for training, but not her housemate. Then she started growing and snapping at him. Then she started growling at the lady and sometimes snapping. BUT as soon as she had done this, her head and tail dropped and it was as if she knew what she did, but could not stop herself. After test it was determined she had a "mis-wiring_ in her brain. She knew what she was doing, didn't' want to do it, but couldn't' stop. Then she was miserable because she had done something she didn't want to do, that she knew was wrong. The lady finally had to send her to the bridge bcaue she was so miserable doing what she didn't' want to do and nto being able to stop it. So sad. Was the first time I ever of such a thing. I think this dog really needs to be checked out for such a problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update. Sorry it has been so long, the last month has been hectic.

Maximus was seen by the vet and he decided to go ahead and do the neutering anyway. Maximus was similar for a day or 2 while recovering and then suddenly he started to change back to himself. It was gradual but within a week or so he was just back to being his goofy self, happy, loves being petted, not lethargic, and wagging his tail. Nothing changed in the way we treated him or anything, just same as always. So that’s good news.

In terms of his neutering - since he had that condition where both his testes remained inside his body, we were worried it would be hard to find and quite complicated. The vet informed us it acrually went really great. He had a big cut on his tummy for a couple of weeks and we had to keep him on leash for all those 2 weeks, but he healed amazingly well. Surprisingly, this period wasn’t so bad either. I expected he might get destructive because he hadn’t had a good run etc, but he was fine.

I’m not sure what the change was. Maybe it was the hormones of being neutered, maybe it was something else and it just went away coincidentally at that time. Either way I’m happy to have the goof back. Thanks for your help guys ?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Great picture of your happy boy. I'm so glad to hear everything is going well now.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts