Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Seamus is almost 7 years old. At his yearly exam the veterinarian performed a rectal exam and said his prostate was enlarged. She recommended that he be neutered. She said that he had received all necessary benefits of the hormones and that it would be fine to neuter him.

Thoughts? Is it more difficult to neuter an older dog? Does he still need the hormones?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,283 Posts
Neutering will fix 99% of BPH. I agree with your vet. There are some medications but for a seven year old, the neuter is going to be an easy procedure and he’s already finished growing, etc. his coat might change, but it might not.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neutering will fix 99% of BPH. I agree with your vet. There are some medications but for a seven year old, the neuter is going to be an easy procedure and he’s already finished growing, etc. his coat might change, but it might not.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I neutered one of mine at ten. He healed quickly with no problems. He never had a change in coat, either. He lived to almost 14 years.

Reactions: njdglvr

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes. I neutered my male a few months ago for the same reasons. He’s a little younger than yours. All his symptoms disappeared within a few days of surgery. it can take a month for the prostate to shrink after surgery. A vet friend told me he believes male dogs should be neutered sometime after age 6 if they show any sign of prostate problems to avoid them getting worse. I was anti neutering at all, but I’m glad we did it. He didn’t gain weight or lose muscle tone thankfully, but he needs less exercise. That could also be due to his age, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts