Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what the proper amount of raw food I should feed my girl Riley. She has recently been spayed after her first heat cycle so I know that they tend to gain weight after this procedure. I feed her twice a day, about 6 ounces at each feeding, 12 ounces obviously for the day. She is active, we walk her at least 3 to 3 1/2 miles a day, plus now that the weather is getting cooler we will head to our dog park for some active playtime. I am feeding her too much or too little? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
How much does she weigh, and is she thin now? I lean to thinking that's not enough for an active dog but it depends on her condition.

·
Kate
21,301 Posts
Small thing is that I sometimes get cans of food which are 12.7 ounces of food each. And I wouldn't necessarily feed them morning and night, but I do replace meals sometimes. 1 can of food is a meal. For my dogs, I would likely be feeding 2 cans a day or 24 ounces.

Replacing 1 meal of dry kibble with a can - 1 or 2 times a week helped get weight off my dogs so it was my go to for that reason (also the dogs love it).

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,950 Posts
It depends on what you're putting into the mix so to speak. I feed and supplement with nature's variety instinct raw in the medallions and patties. That will say to feed roughly 8oz each meal twice a day for a 60lb dog. So about 1 pound a day. I would probably use this and watch his weight and adjust until he maintains the weight.

You can't really Compare can food with a raw diet as so much of the nutrients are destroyed in the cooking process. Weight wise it isn't even close to a one for one replacement of canned to raw. You'd just have to make a guess and for a meal here or there it wouldn't matter much.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My 7 year old girl has been getting roughly 8 oz of raw, twice a day (so roughly a pound a day total) for most of her adult life. She also gets 1/4-1/2 cup of kibble as training treats most days. I think I might have given her as much as a pound and a half a day when she was young and really active and spending a lot of her days in daycare. Right now, a pound a day (plus kibble/treats) maintains her at a healthy/lean body weight (about 63 pounds). That said, she doesn't get a ton of exercise. I think if I were walking her as much as I should I'd probably go back to adding in that extra 4 ounces per meal.

An awful lot depends on the individual animal, the exercise level and their metabolism. My old dog (who was in general more sedate than my current one) struggled to stay at a lean weight on about half of what I feed my current dog, even though he got exactly as much (formal) exercise. Both dogs seemed to need more calories in the summer than they did in the winter. There isn't really a one size fits all. If what you are currently feeding her causes her to start to gain beyond her ideal weight, then either increase her exercise or pull back on the food. If on the other hand you start to see ribs, then it's time to feed a bit more until you find the right balance.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
Seamus gets 9oz twice a day. He’s 70 lbs and a couch potato. I started at 2% of his body weight per day but he was gaining so cut him back.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Without the dog's weight, and appearance, all this is useless. OP- how much does she weigh and does she appear fat or thin?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feed back regarding raw amount of food. My girl Riley weighs at least 67 lbs., she is rather on the short side for a female golden, however she is very solid and sturdy. We walk her at least 2 miles or sometimes 3 a day. Now that the weather is getting cooler we are headed back to our neighborhood dog park where she runs with the pack for at least one hour . However, I have cut back on the raw down to 5.5 ounces at each feeding. She also gets treats on her walks when she takes care of business. I do have a hard time feeling those ribs under fur, she is built that a barrel. Hoping that she will slim down a little! Any other suggestions is more than welcome!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,950 Posts
Thanks for all the feed back regarding raw amount of food. My girl Riley weighs at least 67 lbs., she is rather on the short side for a female golden, however she is very solid and sturdy. We walk her at least 2 miles or sometimes 3 a day. Now that the weather is getting cooler we are headed back to our neighborhood dog park where she runs with the pack for at least one hour . However, I have cut back on the raw down to 5.5 ounces at each feeding. She also gets treats on her walks when she takes care of business. I do have a hard time feeling those ribs under fur, she is built that a barrel. Hoping that she will slim down a little! Any other suggestions is more than welcome!
I've never been one to treat for going to the bathroom outside once they get it as that is an expected behavior and only praise for that behavior. For me they have to realize, this is just the way we do this and just get praise.
Also keep in mind that dogs really only taste salt and fat so treat size doesn't matter. Maggie's treat sizes are about the size of Zuke's mini's. So just take a few treats and break them down and that will help keep the weight off. I've cubes in the water helps burn calories as well since it cold the body and the body Burns calories reheating itself. Don't need to be neurotic about it but when you refill the water bowl just put a handful in.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
so with that much exercise, which I would call the high end of moderate (that's 4 miles plus play) she should be getting more like 22 oz a day- IF you want her to weigh about 58 pounds in the end. If she's a good weight, maybe a bit more. The 11 oz a day is half of what she ought to get. When I fed raw, I adjusted daily almost what the dogs ate, depending on how they looked.. if they looked like they were getting thin, I upped it, if they looked fleshy, I gave less. But I honestly don't think there was a single one ever- even the old girl whose spay had her leaning to fat, that I fed less than a pound a day.
There are probably food calculators online, my advice is coming from 2.5% of ideal body weight per day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts