Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decided to copy Anney and record everything that I'm doing with Proof here. I want to reference it when I need to and rewriting it here will help me absorb it a bit better. Plus how fun to look back and see where he was.

So here goes..

Yesterday went to a beautiful piece of land with some great ponds and land.
First two set ups on water. Using the most disgusting birds on the planet. Water and nasty birds are Proof's favorite thing so got to work hard on delivery as he's had a bit of a bird chomping issue.

First set up didn't appear hard to me but it did give him a problem on the memory bird. Two ponds separated by a dike.
Short bird in his face throwing flat into the water falling behind a feeder at the end of the pond. Slight angle entry about 75 yards starting on the mound. Proof did perfect on that. Long Memory bird falling angled back right in the other pond past a finger that the dogs should swim past and keep going to the mark. Very good angle entry about 80 or 90 yards.
Sent Proof and he just switched to the first bird but didn't go into he water, instead tried running down the dike. Surprised me! So I called him back with a here and small nic and reran him. Bird boy made a bit of motion with no sound to make sure proof was looking out. He took off, ran on the finger instead of swimming along it but then pushed off and swam across to the bird. That was a win as there was a connecting finger that the dog could get up on and then backside the gun and run around to the bird. He did not do that, whew! The bird had landed on the bank's edge and when Proof got to the other side hunted a bit, saw a decoy swam to the decoy checked it out and then went to the AOF and found bird came back to it and brought it in.
Birds at line, sat him, and with every crunch was a fetch and if that didn't stop him then a fetch and small nic. When he stopped then waited for a drop command and then received bird. It was much better.

Second set up was nuts. One short bird on land and the long bird was very very hard for Proof and I knew it going in. Changed the way we did things on that set up as I knew it was over his head. Did short bird first that was right in his face. He nailed that which was good as it was meant for a confidence booster going into the hard mark.
Memory mark was a 45 degree angle of about 120 yards into the corner of a third pond starting on the mound and running over small slopes. Swim was at least 100 yards. There were ducks everywhere and they were not leaving their pond so as Proof entered they swarmed around him and kept coming back. He did good with that, I was surprised and kept his eye on the mark. But as he swam to the other end which was the longest point of the pond he lost sight of the gun and got lost. Half way in he started stalling and I stopped him and gave him a back command which he took. Kept going and then started stalling again. Gave another back command which he took this time with noise from BB. But he just started giving in and swimming in circles clearly lost. Called him and started all over but this time closer to the shore and at a slightly different angle. This time he went in, swam farther and towards the end the BB gave another call to keep his momentum. He made it across, got out, ran up and got the bird. Big win there as the bird was at a V point that created suction that most dogs ran all around looking for and backsliding the gun. Proof had marked the bird well, just couldn't trust himself to get across that pond when the picture changed. But we got him across and he did it.
Bird delivery better than the first set up.

Third set up strictly land in a field of hay bales. Singles and a head swinging exercise. Short gun very much in the face with BB standing with bird landing on side of mound. Long bird first landing among hay bales with BB sitting and not as noticeable. Ran first bird with send immediately if dog took his head off the long bird. Proof did good on this and got his bird in the bales. Second mark Proof took a good line but drove up the mound instead of on the side and had a small tight hunt on top of mound and then found it. Proud that he drove up instead of around the mound.

First delivery of bird was eh. Second delivery was very good and Proof looked up at me knowing he had to control that chomp. I saw it in his eyes. So hopefully he is figuring it out that he must stop that crap.

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
YAY Proofers! You guys work so hard!
Hey, how close do you live to Swainsboro, GA? Met a guy at the Qual this weekend that lived there and he was bemoaning lack of training partners. Real nice guy, got two ribbons in the Qual. I thought that was up in your area.

Reactions: MillionsofPeaches

·
Registered
182 Posts
YAY Proofers! You guys work so hard!
Hey, how close do you live to Swainsboro, GA? Met a guy at the Qual this weekend that lived there and he was bemoaning lack of training partners. Real nice guy, got two ribbons in the Qual. I thought that was up in your area.
Are you talking about wes wilkes? nice guy but swainsboro is a pretty nice drive from where we are located if i remember correctly just over 2hrs. and just a little extra, i work with his dad and he loves talking dogs and ducks.

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
Yes, it was Wes. I googled Swainsboro to Augusta and it was like 1 1/2 hrs. Talk about BFE!

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
MOP,
thanks for sharing your journey. Mr Proof is doing so well. It was fun to watch him at the derby. He was so calm walking to the line! You and he will be great!

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How small a world that Ben works with this guy's dad! Crazy!!

So today was a really really great day.

First set up was an indented triple with the middle bird right in front. Long bird was incredibly far over some slops and through several patches of cover, measured in around 320 to 330 yards. Proof ran that first and he did amazingly good. Got all the way out there and went through a big patch of heavy cover and then at the end back sided the gun but only for a moment then got back and got his bird. I was literally shocked.
Bird delivery was perfect. I was shocked!
Second bird was short, about 180 to 200 yards and in cover. Proof shot right through it and lined it beautifully. Third bird, middle bird was about shortest about 170 yards. He nailed that one as well. Very impressed that he didn't avoid cover.
Bird delivery was perfect for other two. I think that what I've been doing is helping and it is amazing to see how he just seemed to get it.
Moved to water. three very hard marks. Ran them as singles. First mark was a really problem for proof two months ago but today he just lined it. Down a hill into water over point in water up a very steep hill and into cover. I just stood there with my mouth open. Not a very long mark, just 110 yards or more if you take into account the hills but a lot o obstacles. Wet duck delivery he dropped the bird at the line and I immediately gave him a correction and he sntached it up and delivered perfectly.
Second mark similar but had more a channel swim and falling into a tree line. About 160 yards. He also just nailed it. Delivery was perfect.
Third bird was insanely hard. I didn't think he could handle it so we shortened the mark from about 250 yards to about 220. It was a hard angle entry about 100 yards down a hill and channel swim then up over a dike and down into a small pond but only a tiny amount of water and out and get the bird at the base of the mound.
Proof has had problems int he past with second ponds especially ones that are lower than the first. Well NOT TODAY. So happy!! He even got out a bit to cheat around that pond but then remembered oops must swim when see water and got in and swam a few yards and finished the mark. I was just so pleased!! Coming back he got right into the water and swam back Delivery was spot on.
Today Proof was amazing. It is days like these that I just make me feel so good as I know that I've been training him to be able to handle it and not fall apart!!

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
I'm glad to hear the reports on delivery techniques! :)

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys!! I'm excited to see how he moves forward too. It will be nice to reread this in a few months....

So today was a hard but good day for us. Learned some new stuff to work on and saw some old stuff has been getting better!

First ran a land set up on mound. three guns out. First a double memory bird around 280 yards going through some cover and up a hill with gun out of sight for a bit. Teaching dog to carry that line without the gun and past the visible short gun. Go bird 225 or so yards in cover but next to a bare patch meant to pull them out of cover. Long bird past short gun though cover, about 300 yards. Proof nailed all of that. Not a correction needed. Perfect on bird delivery even with some pheasants!!!! (Proof loves some pheasants but who doesn't, right?)

Now onto water, much harder.
First mark steep angle down a hill with bird landing on a bank 140 yards or so. Line needed to get into water but so cheaty and then get on a point off the point back into water and onto bank.
Well, Proof cheated so hard. So so hard...lol. Stopped him no no here shortened ext but that little poop head needs more work on skirting those small water ponds.
Second mark, to the right of the line very very steep angle down a hill into pond total mark about 180 yards and worked on the right exit of the water. Too left and they are behind the gun. Luckily Proof nailed this and was impressed he carried that line without squaring.
Third mark straight out in front of us. Toughest mark. Still about 190 yards but going at a slight angle down and exit was important as well. In font of the dog with a very steep hill and when they got down there gun was behind hill. They could not see it at all but look look there is that old gun just sitting right in their face. So like a lot of dogs Proof couldn't help himself. Did just okay taking the right exit but squared a bit at the end. Stopped in water, here here and then stopped again, handled right. Took a better exit but got out and ran and said YAHOO look at that old gun right there. Just too tempting. Took off and got his first real big boy correction. Took it like a champ! HERE HERE and back into the water. whistle and a handle back at the same time the BB called hey hey to build momentum. Proof figured it out, kept on back and got his bird! yay! Ran it again but just a tad bit shorter to the bank and Proof did great. Didn't run it again from original line as he had a lot of correction and just wanted to stop on a good note. Very happy that he took those corrections without buckling and came bag with a wagging tail.
Very greatest thing, I trained with a fellow that hasn't seen proof in about a month and a half and he was very happy with Proof's progress which has been just me and ben working with him. I've fixed one of the biggest issues he had and that was evident with the marks we ran. Two months ago Proof wouldn't have gone across that water without seeing the gun.
Old proofers is learning and growing in leaps and bounds.
So what to work on, those cheating ponds and keep on working on drop command. Also keep on working line work but that is coming along nicely. I'm getting more comfortable with that as well. Also working on handling skills. Need to get him stretched out!! working on that tomorrow morning. Proofers is dead tired right now. Dead tired.

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I've worked hard on remote drop. So far I've gotten him to drop a few feet in front of me but boy does he not like this one bit.
It is interesting this is the first time I've ever seen Proof really have to submit to me about something he just doesn't want to do. I can read it all over his face. I'm not using any physical force just telling him to drop. He lowers his head and looks at me with these doggie eyes and after a few seconds will start the process of dropping. Sometimes he actually has to lay down to do it.
I am not going to get all over him about quickness or how he does it right now. I sense the extreme dislike for him to do this and will respect that at the moment. And I'm rewarding with lots of praise when he does it.
Once he gets over it and realizes dropping and leaving his most favorite thing isn't the end of the world then we'll move over to longer distances and birds. Then we'll work on getting snappier about it.

Also got serious about foundation yard work. He didn't mind that a bit.
No real physical work today but little proofers is mentally tired now. Lucky for him no more work. Tomorrow is probably going to be a freebie. Unless no rain, then work on skirting ponds.

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well this is fun. I have used only one kind of whistle for the entirety of Proof's life. Well I'm trying to transition to another whistle and who would have guessed it would cause so much confusion for him. He doesn't sit on any whistles or come into here with this darn thing. What a pain in the butt. I'm having to start all over again.
I hate this whistle anyway so this just makes me more annoyed with it.

So today has been all about sitting on the whistle...again. fun. not.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I forgot my whistle once and used a backup I had. It was a different kind as well and Molly did not get it at all. Thank goodness she responds quickly to a verbal sit but now I know that my backup whistle has to be the same kind of whistle.

·
Registered
811 Posts
well this is fun. I have used only one kind of whistle for the entirety of Proof's life. Well I'm trying to transition to another whistle and who would have guessed it would cause so much confusion for him. He doesn't sit on any whistles or come into here with this darn thing. What a pain in the butt. I'm having to start all over again.
I hate this whistle anyway so this just makes me more annoyed with it.

So today has been all about sitting on the whistle...again. fun. not.
LOL!
So who's having a harder time to transition, you or Proof?
That reminds me of the time I decided that I needed to make my already-QAA dog learn to heel on both sides ... that didn't work out so well, we were both ticked off at each other!

The long range whistles really do make a difference. Have you chosen a Green Monster or a Dallesassee(sp?)?

FTGoldens

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Omg there are different kinds???? I'm just using one Ben gave me!!! H told me I could use my wonderful favorite whistle but J told me to transition!!! Ugh I hate it!!! Ben what kind is it in using??

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vivian I have five of my kind of whistles lol they are all over my car and house. So now I can't even use them any more :weary::weary::weary::weary:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Omg there are different kinds???? I'm just using one Ben gave me!!! H told me I could use my wonderful favorite whistle but J told me to transition!!! Ugh I hate it!!! Ben what kind is it in using??
Ha!
And on top of that, within each type of whistle, some are demonstrably better than others. I have two Green Monsters in my truck ... one for training and one for trials. The good one only gets used at trials.
But right now you don't need to order a dozen just to see which one or two are the best of the lot:no: ... that'll come later:p:.

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha!
And on top of that, within each type of whistle, some are demonstrably better than others. I have two Green Monsters in my truck ... one for training and one for trials. The good one only gets used at trials.
But right now you don't need to order a dozen just to see which one or two are the best of the lot:no: ... that'll come later:p:.

You are scaring me....:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ha!

HAHAHA!!! yes im about to order some more GREEN MONSTERS for my hunting lanyards and then i will start seeing if i can tell a diff and the not so good ones go to the hunting laynards and the two best will be for training and trialing.

Shelby green monster is what you are blowing and FT dont tell her how much they are cause she would really start to freak then!

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gosh I'm exhausted today. So much to learn and remember.

Today ran a set up on land. A LONG LONG single meant to be a head swinging mark which Proof had no problem. The double was tighter and converging. Proof had a hard time looking out on that memory bird which was the middle bird of the three marks. He got his go bird and then had to get corrected for going back to it. Finally got him out to the memory bird but he went right to it so I don't know what his problem was. Just couldn't take his eyes off the outside marks. Will work on that.

Water was insanity once again. Ran a double with the middle long bird as a single. Wasn't sure about the double but tried it anyway. The go bird was SO HARD for all the dogs for some reason. Just a weird bird landing on a point in line of the middle gun which was way up a hill behind it. The memory bird was to the right across a different pond up on land. that mark I was worried about. Proof went on go bird, did the water part great but kept on running after getting on the point. So did 75% of the other dogs. It was just a weird mark. BB called him in and he got his bird. Came in and NAILED the memory bird which is what I wasn't sure about. Swam across and got it. came in and then did the long single. He swam the channel perfectly, didn't square a bit but then got up on land and got straight to the area but was too left. He hunted tirelessly in deep cover, which the bird was not in, it was on the ground. He didn't leave and go behind the gun either, that was a hugh plus. It was okay, he must not have marked it super great and really he is used to the birds landing a bit closer to the gun as this BB has a mega throw across. Didn't matter, the water work was excellent so the BB just moved a tad over to the right and Proof pushed more to the right and got his bird.
Learned a lot about lining up on triples and also watched a lot of blinds. Lots of work on my part. Trying to get all my ducks in a row. I have so much work to do on myself its overwhelming!

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Todays training. Proof is constantly being challenged now with new set ups. Finally he is making lots of mistakes and now we are REALLY training. Before, everything was easy for Proof. I'm excited about these new developments, it means we can move forward!!

So today first was a set of three long singles. First bird not a problem to the right. Second mark was a new mark for Proof. It landed in deep cover but practically in the woods. Of course he had to go over lots of ditches to get there too. Proof was the ONLY dog to put his face on the bird! So cool as I wasn't sure how he'd do with such a mark. Third mark, eh, not so good. It was a super long mark, not even sure how long but landed on top of a mound and was running past the previous said bird. Proof took a right line but then after he passed the short gun he drove up then turned and switched! GRRR. So gave him a no here nic and pulled him in. Had the BB motion again and Proof went back out. He again didn't want to drive that far and thought about switching but caught himself and pushed on. Found it and brought it back. i was happy about him making the right decision after the correction.
Not liking this hunt at the old falls he's doing lately when the going gets tough!
Second set up. a delayed triple. Not sure if Proof could do this as he's never done it before.
Long bird way out. Probably 350 yards. Gun is out of sight for a long time. Long bird and easy bird pinched double set up.
So middle long bird, then watch the go bird. Send. come back in, watch easy bird, pick it up. then long memory bird. He nailed the two outside birds but when it came to the long bird which he focused on just fine, he stopped at the easy bird again and started a hunt. GRRRR. correction, brought back to long bird. BB motioned and then sat down. Proof then ran up and nailed it. So what the heck? I'm wondering why all of the sudden he's going back to old fall on the hardest mark? Is it lazy or lack of confidence because both times he knew where to go after the second throw.
Oh well, working hard to to now train not to do that any longer. Its okay he just doesn't know not to do this.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts