Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask if anyone on the forum uses a prong or choke collar on their Golden & why?

Marley uses a normal leather collar and 90% of the time he is perfect at walking with me, he's never pulled me over or anything like that.

Today I was standing in the street waiting for my friend to arrive with her 2 dogs for a play date when this man approached with his big yellow lab crossed with something else. It was an un-fixed male, and as Marley is not yet fixed they started growling at one another, so I pulled Marley back away from the other dog.

Well the owner started telling me I was cruel to my dog and that he should have a choke or pinch collar on as I am hurting him. I tried to explain that if he moved on with his big old dog that Marley was frightened of then Marley would stop pulling, but he was having none of it.

So now I feel like such a bad Mum to think I am hurting him. But I really don't like the idea of choke or pinch collars.

So I thought I would ask what everyone here uses for their dogs and if you think he needs these kinds of collars.

PS. after this I went to the beach with my friend and her dogs & Marley and they were all happily swimming and playing when the same big yellow lab came bounding towards us, I called Marley back straight away and leashed him, just in time cause the Lab came flying right in to him, and the owner was no where in sight. I don't understand why owners would do that.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I won't use a choke collar but I do sometimes use a prong collar. Mostly for training heeling in the obedience ring, where a one inch movement can make a difference in your score. I will use it for just walking a dog if it's a dog that hasn't been trained yet not to pull and I need to get it somewhere. I won't, however, do a leash pop with the collar on. I just let the dog correct himself if he pulls on the leash.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Honestly, he sounds as pompous and uneducated at the lady in the other thread who said that a leaning dog was being dominant. Some people feel better about themselves if they can make themselves feel more intelligent or educated. Usually, unsolicited advice (and some solicited advice) should be taken with a grain of salt, in my opinion.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
I used prong collars on both of my dogs as they tended to pull ALOT when walking. Once they mastered the heel concept, we switched to haltis....much better!!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have never used either on my goldens. If I have one with a pulling problems I've used a front-clip harness. I have and still occasionally do, however, used a choke chain on my rotti mix. His head is smaller than his neck and he can slide out of a leather or cloth collar. He's very well behaved but I get concerned when we are walking along busy streets. I use it sort of like a watch-guard - I clip the leash to both collar and choke chain.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had a lab that we used choke and prong collar with because he was hard to control without it. On his regular collar he would keep pulling so hard that you'd think he would've choked himself to death. With the choke or prong collars he would generally walk along with his leash loose (until he would suddenly lung for an apple core or something). He had tons of obedience training but I couldn't walk him on a flat collar until he was about 11 years old. We tried haltis/gentle leaders but he would break through them or get big scabs on his face....hmmm this makes him sound so bad but he really was a great dog!

Anyways, in comparison to Chance, my golden Dodger has been so easy to walk so I've only used a flat collar with him. He might pull occasionally, but nothing like what my lab did.

Maybe this guy assumed Marley pulls hard all the time - his dog probably does. He sounds ingnorant - I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I don't think the issue is whether you use one or not. It's the fact that this man implied you were abusive for NOT using one. That's where my comment came from. I don't use either one and won't use either one, but I sure am not going to walk up to someone and tell them that they are abusive for using one. Unless they are actually using it in an abusive manner.

I used to use the Gentle Leader head halter and had people tell me it was abusive. I have had people approach me when I was walking my dogs with the Easy Walk harness and tell me that I didn't have it fitted right (I did). I normally just smile and shrug it off, but sometimes it can hit me just wrong.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
That man...there was something wrong with him. I'm sorry you had to run into him.

Doesn't sound like he's the type to give good advice. If you didn't feel like you had a problem before his comment then you probably didn't.

·
Loki's mommy
188 Posts
I used a prong collar with Loki. When we started his first training class he was so hard to walk because of how much he pulled. I never correct him with it, he does that himself when he tries to pull and then goes right back to letting it loose. I can now walk him on a flat collar most of the time with no problem. I only use it when I take him to very busy places that he will get so excited and start to pull.

It drives me nuts when someone knows that they or their dog are agitating your dog and just won't move on. And he has no idea how your dog walks on a normal basis so you shouldn't worry about what he said.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
used a choke chain on my rotti mix. His head is smaller than his neck and he can slide out of a leather or cloth collar. He's very well behaved but I get concerned when we are walking along busy streets. I use it sort of like a watch-guard - I clip the leash to both collar and choke chain.
We do this with Chester....he can slip out of anything except the choke chain....only use it on walks...he never wears it inside....I will not take the chance of him slipping out of a regular collar or even his martingale collar.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I did use as pinch collar on Dooley, he is big powerful and hard headed, though now that we are advancing to competitive level obedience, I have switched over to the slip collar (which is a choke chain placed on the dogs neck properly so it slips loose after pressure on the leash is removed) as that is what we will show in. Also, a pinch collar used properly, saves the hair around the neck.

If your dog does fine on a leather collar then it is good, don't let some arrogant jerk tell you anything different.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I almost always walk Milly in either a prong collar or a choke collar. If we're going to do jogging it's a prong collar and a nice loose leash. I love that it is self correcting, and I'd never pull on it. I have a rare joint disorder (still trying to figure out what it is exactly) that causes my joints to dislocate. I have Milly where she walks very nicely 99.9% of the time on a flat collar, and simple corrections are all she needs, but I'd much rather be safe than sorry. I'll just use a flat collar on sunny days, but when it is overcast and/or cold and rainy my shoulders dislocate more. I just don't want to risk being out alone and having a dislocation with no one to help me. I don't really let the frequent dislocations stand in the way of anything I do - I still run, ride horses, swim, hike, cycle, etc. - but I try to be cautious and avoid problems before they happen. I've really been pleased with the prong collar - she was a killer puller and it's pretty fool proof. I feel safe letting other people walk her in it (with the instructions never make corrections/pull on it), and I wouldn't let anyone with untrained hands use a choke chain on her.

Use what your dog walks best in, and don't let some stranger tell you otherwise. You know your dog, and should trust your instincts.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I have a prong and I bring it out to teach any new rescue not to pull. I can't take any pulling. My back and neck and shoulders are in bad shape. I find I can remove the issue in just minutes with a prong.

I use a choker like booklady does- to make sure no one escapes.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
My first Golden, Rusty, was trained using a prong collar. I didn't start it. When I had to go into Balboa Naval Hospital for a few weeks, I decided it was a good time to get him professionally trained. He was trained by the same folks that train all the San Diego Police Dogs (but not as a Police Dog, obviously. Just normal obediance).

They had me follow up with it for a few weeks after I picked him up, then it was never used again as it wasn't needed.

I always use a choke chain when transporting, but not for normal walks usually. I prefer the nylon type that the show people like to use, but I can't find one right now. Stores don't seem to carry them.

Gilmour normally has his web collar on, but I still use a choke collar when transporting.

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
The guy is a moron, ignore him. If your dog walks nicely on his flat collar you do not need to use a pinch or choke collar with him.

Some dogs need it, yours does not, ignore people who do not know your dog at all.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
All collars can injure a dog if they're used improperly. That goes double for chokes and prongs, though it's completely possible to hurt a dog with a simple flat buckle collar.

It's best to use training, not equipment, to control a dog. Equipment can be a backup or an aid, but it's no substitute for teaching dogs how to take interruptions from you, how to focus on commands, and how to offer a loose leash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a slip chain (what people call a choke collar). Not only does it prevent escape, but the sound of the chain sliding is the only "correction" needed most of the time. I don't like to call it a choke collar because I don't think it's ever supposed to "choke" the dog, or even come anywhere near choking.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I don't use choke chains because he needs it, I use it for his safety. I've seen too many dogs pull out of their web collars when something unexpected happens.

He's not really a puller. Well, most of the time :)

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Quite true!

I use a slip chain (what people call a choke collar). Not only does it prevent escape, but the sound of the chain sliding is the only "correction" needed most of the time. I don't like to call it a choke collar because I don't think it's ever supposed to "choke" the dog, or even come anywhere near choking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts