Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a professional Photographer and I would like to begin taking photos at Dog Shows. I understand that it takes a "special" kind of photographer to catch our dogs at their best(and the owners...:)) I also know...that I am just that person...I have an extensive photography portfolio, the ability to print on site at the event, as well as my own website for additional orders and products. This is not an advertisment...I just wanted to know if anyone could give me a starting point? Who would I contact? Or...does anyone know if someone or another company already has dib's in the New England area? Thanks!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I think a good place to practice would be at matches...
Call your local kennel club and see if they would have a problem with it...maybe they would????

It is cool to see photographers at field training ...(I think they have the most fun too!)

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Do you want to do action shot of dogs in the ring, or the "win photos?" In my area, the "win photos" are almost always done by the same couple people. For "action shots" of dogs working on agility and obedience, try contacting local clubs that are hosting trials or matches.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I don't know where in CT you are located, but I know one training facility in Hamden that holds events. You may want to contact the facility. Just don't park in the Vendor parking space. The last sentence is regarding a personal experience I had. LOL

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses...

I think I would have more fun shooting the agility/action stuff. Most of the things I do are action-basketball,football,baseball & events. (I try to stay away from weddings.) I'm not against doing "win photos" but just as I try to stay away from weddings...I'll probably want to focus more on action. The problem is that I don't have any experience w/ dog shows at all. I think you've all given me some ideas though. I have a great doggie school in my area that has competitions. I bet I can start there when I get "Cheddar" this spring! Cheddar and I will attend puppy kindergarden and I bet I can make some connections through that. I'm willing to travel anywhere in CT, RI, MA and into NY-although upper state is a bit of a stretch.
Love your photos cmichele! :) They are awesome!!!

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
I think I would have more fun shooting the agility/action stuff. Most of the things I do are action-basketball,football,baseball & events. (I try to stay away from weddings.) I'm not against doing "win photos" but just as I try to stay away from weddings...I'll probably want to focus more on action. The problem is that I don't have any experience w/ dog shows at all. I think you've all given me some ideas though. I have a great doggie school in my area that has competitions. I bet I can start there when I get "Cheddar" this spring! Cheddar and I will attend puppy kindergarden and I bet I can make some connections through that. I'm willing to travel anywhere in CT, RI, MA and into NY-although upper state is a bit of a stretch.
Love your photos cmichele! :) They are awesome!!!
The "big" guys here in New England for agility trial photographers:
Karen Hocker: http://www.karenhocker.com/
Donna Kelliher: http://www.donnakelliher.com/
Leslie Mattuchio: http://lesleymattuchio.com/
Matt Allison: http://www.mattallisonphotography.com/
Frank Jensen: http://www.fjphoto.com/
Jeremy Kezer: http://www.jeremykezerphotography.com/agility/index.html

Karen has goldens. I'd suggest that you get in touch with one of those folks. Very often there is one of them covering a two ring trial (though Karen often works with her sister) - so there might be some options for apprenticing with someone. Some trials have multiple photographers. Most agility competitors are well trained to go to their sites after the trial (specific photographers are listed in each agility premium) to look for proofs.

If you can make friends with an agility trial chair you might get an invite as a vendor to a trial - last year the local NADAC trial "used" one of it's jr members as photog - unpaid position and she made money by sales - I don't know how she did financially. She was there running a dog - I think her goal was to break even for the trial. That being said, if you can get in some practice - even if you go to a trial and shoot some pictures as practice without formally selling them and you're willing to come up to VT in July I could get you a vendor spot in our three day trial in July. I don't know where you are in CT - but there are a lot of trials in westfield MA which could be a short trip for you. Check out www.pawprinttrials.com for more information on upcoming new england/new york trials.

Erica

·
Registered
16,393 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow...I'm glad I rechecked this post tonight! Thanks for all the helpful info GRF friends! I'm going to spend some time checking out all of these sites. I am absolutely willing to come up to VT for a shoot. I'll get back with you in a bit after I check everything out. I might be putting "The horse in front of the carraige" by coming up to Vermont right away, I've never even been to a competition...perhaps I should actually go to one first...lol....

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Wow...I'm glad I rechecked this post tonight! Thanks for all the helpful info GRF friends! I'm going to spend some time checking out all of these sites. I am absolutely willing to come up to VT for a shoot. I'll get back with you in a bit after I check everything out. I might be putting "The horse in front of the carraige" by coming up to Vermont right away, I've never even been to a competition...perhaps I should actually go to one first...lol....
That's what I'm suggesting - I can't offer you a vendor spot before you've ever done a trial. If you had some practice we could certainly try to make it work. There's a lot to it - and I think one of those folks could help you decide whether or not you want to do it. From an equipment standpoint the start-up is huge. It's really hard to get good shots of fast moving dogs - then add fast moving BLACK dogs...it's not easy.

Karen for example is also a competitior - she's going to be there anyway - I don't know how much she makes on a typical weekend - I'd imagine she has good weekends and bad weekends from a business standpoint. Rainy weekends limit the shots you can get. You're out in the sun all day. You've got to deal with customers, etc....

Erica

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes,yes,yes...of course! I certainly understand that! :) I'm not too concerned about "getting" the action shot. It's what I do anyway in Football or Basketball.... I'm also very much aware of equipment costs as I already own everything I will need. I already have a business...but I shoot humans..in action...not doggies...This would be more of a fun thing for me anyway and although I might get into it to eventually make some $, that's really a secondary consideration.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I can speak to agility... Start by going out to a trial and talking to people. You would need to talk to the trial chair first. I compete in agility and also take and sell pictures at a few trials... It's really fun and I love taking pictures of dogs in action. The common practice for agility trials is to post all the proofs on a webpage then people go there after a trial to look at/purchase pictures. Most competitors know all the photographers so it's good to get out there and meet people. Volunteering to work as part of the ring crew would be a good way to learn the game and the people.

Here is my webpage: http://www.dogzinmotion.com/

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Sammydog- Great website & thanks for the advice! Thats what I'm going to plan on doing....I'm going to start off small and maybe take some photos when I start "Cheddar" off in puppy kindergarden. As you already know...once you bring that camera out...it always takes on a life of its own..lol...thats how I got into the business of shooting humans as well. I think the part about volunteering for events as ring crew is good- because thats what I am missing...It would be like me going to photograph a basketball game and never seeing a basketball court before. I need to know the ring, events and the dogs to watch! Well, that will come in time. Thanks again for the advice!

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
It's really hard to get good shots of fast moving dogs - then add fast moving BLACK dogs...it's not easy.
Oh this is SO true. And black and white dogs are even more tricky. Your camera goes whacky. Light Metering is key. And if you intend to shoot at other than Golden events, practice on those Border Collies. A lot! (Or you could try a Landseer Newf... :lol: I have a LOT of practice with one of those).

My black Newfs (unless there's snow on the ground) are easy for me now. I still have trouble with the Landseer - and she's 4.5 years old!! I either get a blob of black yet the white is good, or the white is washed out, and the black is good. I go for the black being good...otherwise there are no features in the face!

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
DCGolden,
The big agility secretary in this area is Noreen Bennett (www.pawprinttrials.com) - you can check her schedule for upcoming trials - maybe there's one close-by that you'd like to go watch. Outside is probably better - some of the indoor trials can be close quarters. The shows in Amherst NH are great - but really close quarters and a bit of a chaotic feel. There's one coming up in Holyoke (or is it North Hadley?) at the college barn - I've been there as a rider and I think I remember that the lighting is tough. The TMAC trial in May in Westfield might be the best place for you to get your feet wet. At this point I'm planning to enter that one too :) May in New England can be anything - as you well know :) The indoor trial in VT is in an indoor soccer/tennis facility - good lighting - nothing like outdoors though. Anyway, something to think about.

Erica

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW thanks again! What a wealth of info! I knew I could count on my GRF Pals! I'll look up some of these shows and then just go and hang out. Gotta get started somehow :)

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
WOW thanks again! What a wealth of info! I knew I could count on my GRF Pals! I'll look up some of these shows and then just go and hang out. Gotta get started somehow :)
I'll be at the TMAC show in Westfield in May...there's also an indoor show in VT (at the same location as the golden trial in July). Anyhow, if you come to the show in May in Westfield be in touch with me - I'll show you the ropes and introduce you around.

Erica

1 - 18 of 18 Posts