Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an interesting vet visit with my 6 year-old boy golden! The vet said that it looked as though his regular chew toys (Nylabones and Benebones, never real bones or antlers) were causing trauma to his gums. The vet mentioned that gum/tooth trauma can actually lead to cancer. So, obviously we took away those toys, and I’m trying to figure out what other toys would occupy him since he loves to chew. The vet said Kongs would be fine, but not sure what else is out there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I forgot to mention, he has food sensitivities so that is somewhat limiting our choices. He can have peanut butter and a little cheese for pills, haha.

·
Registered
592 Posts
We have various Kongs, but also have some of the Tuffy products. In our experience, Kona (our GR) enjoys chewing on stuffed objects, but will pretty much destroy any soft object in hours, if not minutes. Tuffy has some flattened discs, tug toys, etc. that Kona will chew on, but has not yet been able to flat out destroy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kongs are great. You can also try other rubber toys like westpaw, etc. If you have a home goods or something like that near you, check it out. The toys are really inexpensive and they have a ton to choose from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts