Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy has been on purina puppy chow food when we bought him. He is 8 weeks old. I know this food isn't that nutritious and he is eating his poop also which I guess is from the food not being digested properly. I also just got his fecal test done so will get the results tomorrow.

I got my puppy Royal Canin for large breed puppies. My question is how do I start the transition to this new food and how long till he is eating just the new puppy food ?

Below is Jake with his new toy :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Transition over a week (or so) period. Few kibbles of new food mixed with a majority of old food, a 1/4 of new food and 3/4 old food, and so on. There isn't really a magic formula that works for every dog so just play it by hear.

Your pup may experience some diarrhea. I usually keep the mix at whatever it is until stools firm up a bit, and then continue the transition.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can also give a little pumpkin to help with soft stools. The breeder I got my puppy from said that I could change his food without transitioning and give him pumpkin to avoid sickness. Although I chose to gradually change his food over anyway.

·
Retired bum..........
1,106 Posts
My puppy has been on purina puppy chow food when we bought him. He is 8 weeks old. I know this food isn't that nutritious and he is eating his poop also which I guess is from the food not being digested properly. I also just got his fecal test done so will get the results tomorrow.
Might be as you suggest. Sometimes some dogs just do that. My lab won't touch his own, but goose poop........better than a filet mignon. ;)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Keep the process slow. Some dogs can take the change easier than others. I always used the 1/4 new and 3/4 old for 1 week then 1/2 of each for 1 week then 1/4 old 3/4 new for 1 week. Hopefully he will like that food. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
^^ I also like to go really slow to make sure that there isn't a lot of tummy upset.

I'd also recommend picking up the stool as soon as your puppy goes. That way he won't be eating it and you won't have a puppy with extra smelly breath!!

Jake is adorable!!

·
Bayne's Mom
8 Posts
Same here with the transition process, going slow. We have been feeding our Golden pup the Eukanuba Puppy Dry food( large breed) mixing in about 1/4 can of the Eukanuba Puppy canned with small amount of warm water. That was going very well, until lately the Pup, now 6 1/2 old, seems disinterested in his meal!!
We deceided to switch to the Adult versions, and are doing the 1/2-3/4 Puppy to 1/4 Adult over the past couple weeks. He seems to be transitioning fine, but still has a bit of a blah attitude over his meals which we do twice a day, morning and night.

We also have tried the Fish Oil in his food, but just very little to favor it up a little, that seems to get him more excited , or the Chicken broth.

Good luck!
Your pup is very sweet and I love that toy!!:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts