Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a very intelligent 5 month old female who had severe problems with diarrhea and a urinary tract infection from 2 to 3 1/2 mos of age. Consequently, she had numerous "accidents" in the house as well as many "false calls" outside when we thought she was signaling (which she probably was) but nothing "came out." Now, it's a confusing problem...she signals at doors to go out and pees or poops appropriately, but other times in the house there is no signal at all. She's had obedience training and was the star of her puppy class so we know she is smart, but for housebreaking - it's all mixed up. She is crate trained and has had only one accident since we got her at 2 mos with a "blow-out" during the night due to diarrhea but no accidents since in her crate. We have to watch her like a hawk when she's loose in the house or she's likely to pee anywhere, any time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Because of the medical issues at the beginning I would go back to the basics. Every 10 to 15 min and increase it with time. Outside have her on a lead and tell her potty potty or another call word reward with a good rub and praise. Rinse and repeat should get her back on track again. Inside you can keep her on a lead and have her follow you around so she can't fail and have an accident or keep her in her kennel when you can't watch her. You can always try teaching her to ring a bell to go outside. River wouldn't bark to let me know she needed to go out. Eventually she would sit in front of me and grumble or gently grab my hand if I wasn't taking the hint. Hopefully it will get better with time and patients.

·
Premium Member
18,562 Posts
Have her tested for a urinary tract infection just to be sure that's not the problem. If she doesn't have an infection, then you need to step back and work on house training as if she is a younger puppy. Take her out more often, have a party and give treats everytime she potties outside. Keep her on a leash inside and with you so you can watch her more closely.

Be sure you clean the places she has had accidents with enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle to remove the odor and that will help prevent her from going back to that spot. If she has chosen one spot to go potty in more than once, block her from that area.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi, i suggest limiting her space, crating and consistency. If you can fence off a part of your living room and keep her there when you are able to keep an eye on her, do so. Crate her if you cannot keep an eye on her (or practice the umbilical cord system). I also have a 5 month old female. I did not give Amber free roam of the house when I first got her. I have only started letting her roam under supervision just two weeks ago. i crate her when she's sleepy (when she starts sleeping somewhere, I wake her up and lead her to her crate) or when i cannot keep my eye on her (because i'm cooking, taking a shower, doing groceries outside, etc). Every time I put her in the crate, i either say, "go sleep" or "rest while I do something". But the real key is that everything you do becomes predictable to her -- the times you crate her and the times you let her go potty. Even if she's not having the urge to go potty, do it like you would train a young pup. Always after a meal, a walk, and hard play...and always before you crate her...whether or not she will go or not.

For your pup who is not yet reliably housetrained, give her her last potty opportunity at midnight before crating. Don't crate her for the night until she's done it. So if in the first opportunity, she didn't pee, put her back in the crate, wait a few minutes and do it again. Give it at least 3 tries. If not, then she's lost her chance. Give dinner at 5 p.m. Take her water away at 7 p.m.

Stick to your potty training schedule like military. I am quite sure that after a week she would have "gotten it" :)

As mentioned in other posts, use an enzyme cleaner for any spot she soils. Treat the spot at least three times during the week (especially if its carpet!). I use urine off.

hope that helps! good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a stubborn puppy, who had coccidia and a UTI, with potty training problems as well. She wasn't fully trained until 10 about months. My tips would be:

-Limit space available in the house. Use baby gates and keep the puppy on mostly tile or non-carpeted areas. I kept puppy in my bedroom, and when the accidents stopped in there, she got the bedroom and living room, and so on. It taught her that the "den" exists outside of her crate as well.
-Don't get frustrated. The more frustrated you are, the more the puppy will act out. Stay calm, even when you want to slam your head into the wall.
-Continue to praise every time puppy goes outside, even if they don't go potty. Have different praises for going outside vs going potty. Encouraging going outside helps if the puppy isn't very independent and wants to stay with the family at all times like mine did.
-Spray 50/50 diluted apple cider vinegar into the puppy's mouth when they have a bad behavior, like nipping. Then every time the puppy potties in the house, spray it with ACV after regular clean up. It's a "bad behavior" reminder and eliminates repeat peeing in the same spot. ACV also helps prevent UTIs so it's a win win.
-And like everyone else said, go back to potty training basics. Keep working at it, and eventually even the most stubborn dog will become potty trained!

·
Chloe's Mom Lisa
774 Posts
I agree with everyone who said go back to basics. I would make sure to take her out every 30 mins to 1 hour if possible and limit her space in the house. I also had a ton of trouble with Daisy's potty training and wonder now if it could have been a uti. Chloe has been really easy so I am lucky. I would definitely suggest re-checking her urine at the vet for possible infections.

When she goes outside say "go potty" when she does say "good girl" and use tons of praise. Try not to get frustrated she will figure it out eventually!

·
Noreaster
2,153 Posts
You've gotten lots of good advice...hang in there. My male puppy was the second toughest puppy to housetrain I've ever had...it took months and even now, at eight months, we had a slight change in the evening schedule the other night and it had been an unusually warm day here...big puddle. So happy.

Someone up thread suggested spraying vinegar/water into your puppy's mouth for bad behavior. I don't agree with this. The last thing you want is a dog who doesn't want you or anyone else (like your vet) to get near her mouth. Goldens are mouthy dogs and until they grow enough to be able to learn some self-control, they lead with their mouths first on just about everything, so being able to calmly remove things from their mouths is crucial and potentially life saving.

Five months is still very young. She'll get there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts