Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just had a question that maybe people can chime in with suggestions on. Our 6 month old female Calleigh was on Eukanuba from the breeder but we had since switched to Wellness because she was getting loose stool. After we tried Wellness she again had loose stool so the vet put her on Science diet I/D, from the first time she went it was perfectly hard lol. He then told us to try and ween onto another food again as soon as the mixture became more then 50% of the new she went back to loose stool. She was on I/D for about 2 months and never once had a case of diarrhea or loose stool (beside on walk). So just this past week she went on another new food (Go salmon and oatmeal) we actually got about 3 days into completely the new food and what do you know she had a bad day of diarrhea, she went about 8 times (vet had to give her centrine shot).

We are at wits ends here, the vet wanted to try something just in case and prescribed plenty of medicine two different rounds of flagyl and de wormers, (she has even tested negative for it) but he said it can't hurt. He said it doesn't make sense to be anything because the second she has the I/D the poop goes right back to normal and will stay that way. Any suggestions on why this keeps happening its really puzzling all of us (including our vet). Thanks so much

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Good luck to you. Looks like you have to keep trying at different dog foods to see what she tolerates. The I/D of course, will give firm stools, that is what it is made for. I had that problem with my golden when he was a pup and had him on I/D several times. I switched him to a lamb and rice formula and he did well and grew out of his diarrhea phase.
Now, at 8 years old and finding out about Taste of the Wild, he is on that lamb formula and doing well. I am not saying, switch him to Taste of the Wild, just wanted to tell you what he is eating now :)
So, I have no other suggestions than keep trying different foods. I hope your fur baby will be better soon.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
How gradually did you transition to the Go! food? With the foods that are more rich in protein, you have to do it very slowly over a week or two sometimes.

I'm surprised that the flagyl didn't help more than it did. I would try to find a new food that has less protein for right now.

The I/D can certainly help calm the GI tract but isn't very nutritional. Perhaps you should go with a food that has some grain in it but is still high quality like some of the Canidae, Acana, even Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover, etc. I would add a probiotic like Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enhancer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update-We got Calleigh spayed and decided that we should have her stomach biopsied. We are still waiting for the results but Vet's seem to think she has Inflammatory Bowel Disease...:(.....Does give some answers though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
With all the food changes and still not getting firm stools, I hope the biopsy will help identify the problem but also hoping it isn't serious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With all the food changes and still not getting firm stools, I hope the biopsy will help identify the problem but also hoping it isn't serious.
Exactly, were looking for an answer but a good answer......Vet said if he was a betting man he'd say nothing serious but who knows how good his bets are.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My pup had a similar situation when he was younger. Unexplained loose stools that immediately stopped when started on ID. After 3 tries of transitioning off ID and onto 3 different foods, we just kept him on ID for 3 straight months and then did the slowest transition in the world (3 weeks!) to ProPlan for sensitive stomach/skin. He has not had another occurrence of diarrhea. My vet said that sometimes their stomachs just need to mature and that he would probably grow out of it...and he did! YAY!!

:D I just noticed all the 3's in my post. weird but true!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My pup had a similar situation when he was younger. Unexplained loose stools that immediately stopped when started on ID. After 3 tries of transitioning off ID and onto 3 different foods, we just kept him on ID for 3 straight months and then did the slowest transition in the world (3 weeks!) to ProPlan for sensitive stomach/skin. He has not had another occurrence of diarrhea. My vet said that sometimes their stomachs just need to mature and that he would probably grow out of it...and he did! YAY!!

:D I just noticed all the 3's in my post. weird but true!

Thanks and heres hoping it turns out like that :crossfing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts