Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Lucky is now 14 months old and recently went to the vet for booster shots. While there the vet pointed out that he had an ear infection in one of his ears, providing a bottle of wash and a tube of ointment with a long nosed dispenser so it could get deep into his ear. Simple enough, or so it sounded. The struggle that our boy puts up is driving us crazy; he is strong (weighing near 80lbs), and refuses point blank to permit either my wife or myself to administer the medication. He's too strong to hold (almost wishing we had stuck with the toy poodle option ... not really), even if 3 of us try to restrain him he writhes, wriggles, leaps, and anything he can to break free leaving us exhausted. He will then avoid all contact with us for several hours and then only limited trust the next day. Not sure how to tackle this problem so an advice on how to get our boy to accept us treating him would be welcome.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Try having one of you give him treats while the other gets the ears. Lots of treats and keep them coming until you are done applying the meds.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
and use something high value

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,894 Posts
My boy use to hate having his ears cleaned whenever I squirted the cleanser in his ears.

Forum sponsor Petguide.com posted this video on the proper way to clean a dog's ears awhile ago. This is the method I am currently using-

6 Ways To Properly Clean Dog Ears - PetGuide

I soak a cotton ball with the ear cleaning solution, I am using Virbac Advanced Epi-otic ear cleaner. I got it through my Vet clinic. I put the cotton ball soaked with the cleanser in his ear, rub the base of his ear. Remove the cotton ball, wipe clean. If there is still residue/debris, them I repeat until it's clean. Give the ear cleaning solution a little time to dry before putting the medication in the ear.

You many want to have some high value treats on hand when you are doing this and give the treats as needed.

I also use the Healthy Ear Recipe a member shared here on the forum as Maintenance.

Here's a link for the recipe, 5th post in this thread-

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retrievers-main-discussion/345626-ear-infection.html

After your boy has been given a bath or gone swimming, you want to make sure his ears are dry. I always clean out my two goldens ears after they have been swimming or had a bath. The Virbac has a drying agent in it.

Hope your boy will do better having his ears cleaned and his ear infection clears up soon.

·
3 goldens
11,904 Posts
Probably his ear is very sore and it hurts to put objects in it. When we adopted our blind Great Pyrnees he had such a horrific ear infection you could smell it across the room. My vet said his ear was to sore to even do a good exam of it. You just touch the hair on his ear and he was flinched, jerked, etc.

My vet said the antibiotic pills the fosters vet had him on was the correct ones, but the his ear was to painful to stick the nozzle of the ointment into hi ear. He put Shaggy on steroids. In less than 3 weeks, smell was gone and he was plopping tht big head in our laps for ear rubs.

I do have to say his foster, who hd had him for 15 months had him on vegan dog food (she is vegan and feeds her dogs & foster dogs the same way) and I got him off that junk and onto grain free. That might have also ben a contributing factor to his ears clearing up. I just know there was no way the two ofus could get that stuff down his ear. Maybe you vet can come up with another idea, especially if his ear is to sore to have nozzels put in it.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Probably his ear is very sore and it hurts to put objects in it. When we adopted our blind Great Pyrnees he had such a horrific ear infection you could smell it across the room. My vet said his ear was to sore to even do a good exam of it. You just touch the hair on his ear and he was flinched, jerked, etc.

My vet said the antibiotic pills the fosters vet had him on was the correct ones, but the his ear was to painful to stick the nozzle of the ointment into hi ear. He put Shaggy on steroids. In less than 3 weeks, smell was gone and he was plopping tht big head in our laps for ear rubs.

I do have to say his foster, who hd had him for 15 months had him on vegan dog food (she is vegan and feeds her dogs & foster dogs the same way) and I got him off that junk and onto grain free. That might have also ben a contributing factor to his ears clearing up. I just know there was no way the two ofus could get that stuff down his ear. Maybe you vet can come up with another idea, especially if his ear is to sore to have nozzels put in it.
OT: Is that even healthy for dogs, and does the rescue know that's what she does? That seems pretty drastic. If a person wants to be vegan, that's fine, but to force your animals to be too? It doesn't sound like it's healthy for the dogs and wonder why she'd be allowed to foster if she insisted on that?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Buckskin had the worst ear infections you could imagine and he also had issues with anyone touching his ear despite the fact that he scratched and rubbed it himself. He was totally miserable.

We tried the peanut butter on the fridge trick and it was partially effective. He did squirm but he was a total foodie. Once the infection eased he began to associate the application of meds with less pain. (He was the smartest GR we ever had).

After that, he actually let us know that an infection was brewing by putting his sore ear against our hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts