Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the typical response,when you meet a neighbor from your apartment building,while taking your beloved dog for the morning walk,and greet with ''Good morning''? ''Do you see the urine?!'' is what i got yelled this morning. :( Sorry for that,but just had to share,i'm so distressed.I have been called by this elderly lady several times for interrogation,about a dog,peeing on the corners of the building.I have calmly explained,that i do not let my dog pee anywhere near the building,that he's still young and healthy(i thank god he is healthy)and gets 3 walks a day,not by the building,but around the block,often even in a near by safe enclosure,to play.I want a healthy dog with all my heart,and i make sure he walks and runs enough.I clean up after him-she's seen that.She once had lost her keys,and was desperate,and i got late,spending 20 minuter to look,and found them for her.Now i don't even get a Hello,before i get yelled at?!:no::no: She does not believe me-everyone's saying it's not their dog,she says.
Now,there's a dog that's not doing ok in the building.Severe hip problems(my ultimate nightmare for my lad)and probably something else,sadly.He's 9,loved and taken care of,but things aren't going well...:(:(:( It's him,he's not well to go further away.So heartbreaking-his lady owner adores my boy and we often speak.They're so distressed he's not well,that i can't possibly think of telling ''the police'' it's that dog.She'll crush them more.But i'm suspect number one,and i'm sick of being yelled at,without blame.. :( Vent over.Sorry,guys..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow, so sorry for you. That's not a nice thing to hear..or fear every time you take your dog out. You have more patience then I. I'd say "Good morning to you too, it ain't mine! Have a good day!" :wavey:

I've seen signs on yards in my neighborhood. "Pick up your pups poop!" That cracks me up. I've actually been to a type of country store, where people rent spaces to sell their stuff, and have seen really cute signs to slap on the lawn about picking up poop.

Anyway, I'd say it wasn't us! :p:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did tell her it was not my boy.She ask who is it then?Am i pee patrol or something??!I would not play along and point fingers,i'm not like that.Even if the dog was healthy,i'd speak to the owners,not her.They're trying their best.I'm on her list,and it looks like i'll be watched during every walk..

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bravo to you for protecting the owners and the older dog! It's not easy to be the brunt of anger especially when it's not "your" fault. As I have had an older dog, I truly understand the stress that the family is going through. As a paramedic, my immediate thought was "have you ever gone into an older person's house and experienced the permeating smell of urine?" It happens to us all ... 2 and 4 legged. I have a feeling that the woman is just angry and taking it out on you. {{{HUGS}}}

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's stressful,but what can i do.The lady ,that always yells at me is near 80,so i'm careful not to be unkind,but i'm getting to a point,where i might have to answer a little more unfriendly,without being mean..Every other day our walk is ruined,well,my mood,not Bell's.And i do nothing wrong.Thanks for the understanding! :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just because I dog is healthy, doesn't mean they won't pee on the building, inside, etc. We lived in an apartment the first year of Nyah's life. Every concrete planter and corners of the building were soaked in pee. There were even puddles of pee right before you came in. People are lazy. Anyways when Nyah was a baby these old ladies who would sit in the lobby gossiping always yelled at me for these pee puddles saying its not allowed etc. the first few times I calmly explained it wasn't my dog and that she is trained and doesn't pee on the sidewalk. They assumed it was her because she was young. After that I just ignored them. Also across the street was full of poop as no one picked up their dogs business. This one time some random women who lived behind there said 'so are you gonna pick up the poop or what'. I told her it wasn't my dogs poop and she was she saw her go just then(my dog was sitting, she was a really bad walker as a puppy). So I got into a huge argument with her.

Point is just ignore these people, I find you can never win an argument with people like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes,i agree,but in that case,i really make sure he goes where he should.He has perfect house training since he was a 4 month old,and would never go in the building,ever.And he never has.And i always make sure to clean after him,and give him enough exercise and time outside.And the dog,that goes close to the building is sick.I hope he gets a little better.So..i tried to calmly explain to her,but i'll continue to get yelled at,i'm sure..I do plan to ignore her scandals.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I had an experience with my neighbor not too long ago, she asked me to keep my dogs in the house. (long story). Anyway, I baked her some cookies and took them to her. We both worked at it and now she is a treasured friend.

You say this woman is 80 yrs old, maybe she's really not mean, just lonely. It's possible. We never know what other people are going through. I always find that kindness is best.
Good luck.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked nicely to her,and will continue to do so.I have had friendly chats with her before,but since the first time she called me for questioning,all she does is yell at me.She does not want to talk.She does not respond to me greeting her.She started to be angry at me,and others with dogs and i don't think she'll change her mind.She's somewhere between 70 and 80,yes.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I can understand the ladies frustration, but screaming at every dog owner isn't going to solve the problem. Is there a manager, super or HOA board you could talk to? Explain that your dog isn't defecating on the building and you are tired of the confrontational nature of this woman. You shouldn't have to "give up" the name of who it is. Chances are, it's probably not the old lab.

When I lived in an apartment, we had a feral cat colony and the manager confronted me in the parking lot one night. Told me she knows what I've been doing (crap hide the body!!! :) ).
I was super confused, so I asked her "what?" And she went on a huge tirade of how she knows I've been feeding all these cats and that I have to stop. Umm. I haven't EVER fed them. She wouldn't take no for an answer. Told me because I own cats, it makes me a sympathizer. And my car is "conveniently" parked in the back with easy access.

I pinched the bridge of my nose, and said "listen <name>. I have never nor will I ever leave food down for wild cats chew have a huge field full of mice. They don't need more food. I'm not in a position to even afford extra food. If you want to continue this further, I will need to speak with your boss at the property management home office."

She left me alone after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh,it's always just pee,actually.And i've spoken to the owners of the dog with problems,sometimes he does go near the building.But not always-maybe strays go too.We have some here.It's just pee.The other owners also clean the poo.The first rain/snow washes it...It's not nice,yes,but it's not us,anyway.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I hope things get better for you. I've learned with elderly people sometimes it just best to ignore them and walk away. I've dealt with a few where no matter what, you're wrong and they're right, and they will never admit that they are wrong even when they are.
I think the OP has something to work out, no doubt. I don't however think that making blanket statements against seniors is helpful to anyone.'m sorry but I found that to be rude and hurtful. I still believe in kindness. Call me a crazy old lady.

·
Love walks on four paws
2,946 Posts
I'm sorry you are going through this, we have a neighbor here who, though despite trying for 18 years, we just don't get along with. He seems to think that this is HIS neighborhood and we all must abide by HIS rules. Sigh...he even went so far as to tell us our kids could not park in front of our house because he might hit their cars when he backs out. Well after years of his BS...I just told him to learn to drive then and walked away. Last summer he resorted to calling me names, he used to do this to the next door neighbors until they moved out. He would also only do it if no one else was out....I said something to Dh and DH said something to him, it escalated so we called the police. I hope your situation doesn't get as bad as that. We tried we really did, but after years of blaming everything his son did on ours, complaining about the vary same things his kids were doing, ie loud radio in car etc etc etc well I've had enough and I will not move to satisfy him. We just totally ignore him now, it bothers him, I know it does, but my life is way more peaceful not even acknowledging him at all.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the OP has something to work out, no doubt. I don't however think that making blanket statements against seniors is helpful to anyone.'m sorry but I found that to be rude and hurtful. I still believe in kindness. Call me a crazy old lady.
So sorry you felt this way because of my thread!I do not think an insult was meant by the poster.I hope not.I respect elderly people,i have many elderly friends,i can call them,and people i talk to often,help if i can.Bell has so much senior friends in the area,i can't count them. They love him.I shouldn't have said the age maybe,i pointed it out,to say i can't be in the least rude in the situation..

·
Registered
339 Posts
So sorry you felt this way because of my thread!I do not think an insult was meant by the poster.I hope not.I respect elderly people,i have many elderly friends,i can call them,and people i talk to often,help if i can.Bell has so much senior friends in the area,i can't count them. They love him.I shouldn't have said the age maybe,i pointed it out,to say i can't be in the least rude in the situation..
I definitely wasn't trying to insult anyone.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
My old condo was very dog friendly! In fact, I think there was 25-30 dogs that lived in the building. Most people were great however, there were a few people that lived there and didn’t like the fact that dogs also resided in the building (don’t ask me why they purchased a unit in a dog friendly building lol). Anyways, they would wait in the lobby and complain to people (especially dog owners) about people not cleaning up after their dogs. I heard the lecture almost every day… and everyday I had the same response “Yes, I understand your concerns however I do clean up after my dog and do not let it bark in the complex.” I remained polite because I do have to live in the same building as these people. I always clean up after Chloe but there was so many dogs in the building it was hard to know which owner was slacking and making the rest of us dog owners look bad. Also, we lived right beside a park were other neighbours would come and let their dogs run around so there was a chance that there were other dogs messing on our lawn of the complex. It drove me crazy having to hear people complain and try and blame me but there isn’t much you can do when you live in a communal setting such as an apartment or condo.

Maybe you can speak to the landlord about putting signs that say “please take your dog to the designated grass area”.

·
Charlotte
6,397 Posts
Bell, I commend you for your patience and good manners with this neighbour. Some people just do not like dogs and see all of them as a nuisance.
I don't think your neighbour is about to change. Try not to let it ruin your day.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well,thanks guys,for the support.But the situation is really a little out of hand...After a note: ''To all dogs owners,the lobby and the area around the building is not a toilet for your dogs'',today there's pee all over inside the building..I don't know what's going on with someone's dog,and i'm really,really sorry,because i assume it can only be a dog,that's not too well,for several reasons.. :( But now,all hell is going to break for all the dog owners in the building.There's going to be be a big fuss this time,because it's really a bad situation...Well,at least it leads up from my place,so we should be clear for the inside problem...

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Is management sure it's a dog? Maybe someone partying a little hardy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts