Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

Sydney's been having issues all week with her tummy (http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retrievers-main-discussion/115835-poor-girl.html).

This morning I called the vet again to ask if I needed to come in today (I already have an appointment tomorrow) and she said no, that it was likely that Sydney's flora is out of whack and it's not able to recover quickly. There is a probiotic that she will recommend after she sees her tomorrow.

But since I'm always open to other options - wondering what probiotics everyone uses for their goldens? And is it all the time or just for an upset tummy?

·
Registered
523 Posts
We use Dogzymes, by Nature's Farmacy. We put 1/4 tsp on her food twice a day.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Probiotics for dogs or humans are typically used on a daily basis to promote and balance good gut flora. They are not meant as a one time answer to an upset tummy. If a dog only eats kibble, they have no live enzymes or live anything in their diet.

I imagine your vet will recommend Purina Fortiflora supplement (probiotic). As with most supplements sold at a vet's office, they tend to cost more and don't always include some of the best ingredients. The Fortiflora has the very important Enterococcus faecium for dogs, but the #1 ingredient is "animal digest" which is totally unnecessary in my book. The animal could literally be any animal.

FortiFlora® Canine Nutritional Supplements | Purina Veterinary Diets

I have seen the Purina Fortiflora sold at a lower price at a pet store compared to the vet's office. Or take a look at Jarrow Pet Dophilus which I've used and think is very good: Jarrow Formulas : Pet Dophilus

·
Registered
491 Posts
@Suni52 and Pointgold - Which Nature's Farmacy probiotic do you use? I'm happy to see a recommendation for one as I just had a discussion about this with our vet this week. I see a few different products - Dogzymes Digestive Enhancer, Dogzymes Probiotic 911, Dogzymes Probiotic Max, etc. Any recommendations on a specific one that you use?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I go to GNC for the probiotic, I use the people version and it has 14billion. Both dogs and myself could not get rid of a kidney infection so we started using the probiotic and now we no longer have a kidney issues. And that has been 3 years now. But you do have to give it to them every day.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probiotics for dogs or humans are typically used on a daily basis to promote and balance good gut flora. They are not meant as a one time answer to an upset tummy. If a dog only eats kibble, they have no live enzymes or live anything in their diet.

I imagine your vet will recommend Purina Fortiflora supplement (probiotic). As with most supplements sold at a vet's office, they tend to cost more and don't always include some of the best ingredients. The Fortiflora has the very important Enterococcus faecium for dogs, but the #1 ingredient is "animal digest" which is totally unnecessary in my book. The animal could literally be any animal.

Thanks for this - this is exactly what the vet said she would likely give me. I usually prefer to give Syndey all natural products, and "animal digest" doesn't sound so friendly, but if it will help get her system back to normal I'll take the vets advice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I give her the Dogzymes Digestive Enhancer dissolvable powder. It comes in a white jar with a blue top. It has a 1/4 tsp scooper in it. I just sprinkle it on her kibble along with 1/4 tsp of cran-tri C, and in the mornings I give her 1000mg of people glucosamine. I then just spray down the kibble with a water bottle.
I just read the jar, and it says that you can "double the dose in times of stress or compromised digestive function"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts