Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to petsmart and was looking at the vast selection of pro plan varieties. I’ve been told to buy the large breed puppy variety. But I saw this kind that has a golden puppy on it and the advertising makes me think that this food goes with this kind of dog. Can anyone clear up what the differences are please?

My breeder will have started him on the pro plan sport for all life stages.

FC5F1B04-EDE0-4761-910F-169597B46CC3.jpeg
95FCA883-42F5-489B-B593-CD27358096DC.png
A1FD69BB-6C1C-4F4A-A5A7-D294087C94FD.png

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I think look for the one without the shreds in it.
When they first introduced shreds, they took away the regular formulas and lots of Goldens had issue w the new formula (shred). It wasn't a month before it was back and people went to the old formula. DK if it is still the same but the shreds were the differing piece of it. I think there is a weim puppy on the bag of the regular formula.

·
Ann
385 Posts
I had Bear, 17 mos, on Purina Pro Savor for puppies until he was 1. Then, I switched him to PP Savor Adult. They also have Savor for 7 years and older. Bears done really well with it. I like the natural probiotics it contains. I think any of their foods are good. Good luck
5F1C1724-094E-4E00-95A0-BEC5A4484736.jpeg

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
I have found that all the dogs on the version with the shreds is they pick out the shreds and don't much like the kibble. To ensure the slow growth aspect have always preferred the large breed puppy foods.

All that aside, it's always best to stay with whatever the breeder has been feeding when they send him home. Puppies are babies and leaving the only surroundings they know. They are adjusting to a new home, new family, new smells and routine. Changing food should not be added to the list of changes. Stay with whatever the breeder is feeding for a couple of months anyway.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
All good advice above. Just want to add, the picture on the bag has nothing to do with what kind of dog should eat it. Dog foods are made for all breeds - they just want cute or athletic or majestic looking dogs on the bags to help them sell.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
We fed PPP focus large breed puppy formula. The one with the weimeraner puppy on it. The large breed formula is good for the slow growth aspect. My breeder for some reason cautioned against large breed puppy formulas, but Denver did amazing on it and grew nice and gradually. Now he’s on the PPP Focus adult version.

·
Maegan
452 Posts
Eevee started out on Pro Plan Sport 30/20 all life stages, then I gradually switched her over to PPP large breed puppy, then she had some tummy issues from something she ate and was switched back to 30/20 All Stages, but the salmon formula this time. She gained 1-2 lb per week for the first few months regardless of what food she was eating - and even with the tummy issues. She did eventually kick the bug she had, and has been fine since then. She's 10 months now and is still on 30/20 sport and doing fine. I'm with the others on not feeding the savor version because of the reasons mentioned.

All of that was to say that as long as you feed a high quality food and don't overfeed, your pup will probably grow up fine. I think how fast they grow has a strong genetic component anyway and slow growth feeding plans just help mitigate fast growing genes - meaning that you can only control how fast they grow up to a certain point and then genetics takes over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We just purchased the PPP Focus for Puppies with the Chicken and Rice. We too were told to stay away from the Large Breed kind. I think mainly because our puppy was on it when we got him.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your responses. I think I confused myself by the advertising and for some reason I thought if I fed my puppy the large breed formula that he would grow too fast. I’m still learning about dog nutrition. I love to know the details and science behind nutrition.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
Interesting article on nutrition and how to choose a food.

·
Read Only
127 Posts
Eevee started out on Pro Plan Sport 30/20 all life stages, then I gradually switched her over to PPP large breed puppy, then she had some tummy issues from something she ate and was switched back to 30/20 All Stages, but the salmon formula this time. She gained 1-2 lb per week for the first few months regardless of what food she was eating - and even with the tummy issues. She did eventually kick the bug she had, and has been fine since then. She's 10 months now and is still on 30/20 sport and doing fine. I'm with the others on not feeding the savor version because of the reasons mentioned.

All of that was to say that as long as you feed a high quality food and don't overfeed, your pup will probably grow up fine. I think how fast they grow has a strong genetic component anyway and slow growth feeding plans just help mitigate fast growing genes - meaning that you can only control how fast they grow up to a certain point and then genetics takes over.
I agree 100% with you on the genetic part of what you said here. My Boy is just about 11 months old and is 80lbs now. He is lean and had a very gradual growth curve since he was 8 weeks with 2.2lbs per week and now he is slowing down. I have had him on Large Breed Puppy foods since he was young and we had a lot of issues until we switched to Purina Focus Large Breed. Now he is great and all his stools are solid. Genetics play such a big part in their makeup that under feeding due to not taking into consideration what the genetic makeup and activity level of the dog is can also be an issue so I think finding the balance is important. I had a fair number of people tell me that they thought my guy was too skinny but he is starting to fill now. The picture is from Dec 7th. IMO Purina is good food.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
The vetnutrition.tufts.edu that Puddles sited looks like a good scientific/current research based source of information without any financial agendas

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Both of my boys were raised on PPP Large Breed Puppy until between six to nine months. They both are on PPP Sport 30/20 now. The breeder of my puppy's sire encouraged switching away from the puppy formula to the Sport 30/20 and the puppy's bitch encouraged keeping on LPB. Both are well respected breeders and I figured I wouldn't go wrong with either plan, and I decided to keep him on LPB for the first six/seven-ish months. Incidentally - they are close friends and respect each other's advice to their puppy buyers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Both of my boys were raised on PPP Large Breed Puppy until between six to nine months. They both are on PPP Sport 30/20 now. The breeder of my puppy's sire encouraged switching away from the puppy formula to the Sport 30/20 and the puppy's bitch encouraged keeping on LPB. Both are well respected breeders and I figured I wouldn't go wrong with either plan, and I decided to keep him on LPB for the first six/seven-ish months. Incidentally - they are close friends and respect each other's advice to their puppy buyers.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I saw you switched from Large Breed Puppy to Sport 30/20. I am about to begin that same transition, but am confused about the feeding guidelines. How much did you feed your puppy when you switched to Sport?

·
Maegan
452 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I saw you switched from Large Breed Puppy to Sport 30/20. I am about to begin that same transition, but am confused about the feeding guidelines. How much did you feed your puppy when you switched to Sport?
I know you didn't reply to my comment, but I did the same thing as @rabernet by switching from LBP to 30/20. I basically ignored the feeding guidelines and did an equivalent cup conversion using the calories per cup for Large Breed puppy and calories per cup for 30/20 so that I would be feeding roughly the same amount of calories per day on the Sport. Calculate the total calories per day of Large Breed Puppy that you are currently feeding then divide by the calories/cup for 30/20 Sport and you will get the equivalent number of cups per day to feed for the 30/20. I rounded to the nearest 0.25 cup for the sake of easy measurement. My girl is a year old now and still eats 3 cup/day of 30/20 Sport.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know you didn't reply to my comment, but I did the same thing as @rabernet by switching from LBP to 30/20. I basically ignored the feeding guidelines and did an equivalent cup conversion using the calories per cup for Large Breed puppy and calories per cup for 30/20 so that I would be feeding roughly the same amount of calories per day on the Sport. Calculate the total calories per day of Large Breed Puppy that you are currently feeding then divide by the calories/cup for 30/20 Sport and you will get the equivalent number of cups per day to feed for the 30/20. I rounded to the nearest 0.25 cup for the sake of easy measurement. My girl is a year old now and still eats 3 cup/day of 30/20 Sport.
Thank you! This is very helpful. That's what I'm going to do; it looks like the 30/20 has a few more calories than the LB Puppy, but not significantly, so rounding to the nearest 0.25 like you did should work out pretty well. Now I've been on a kick, trying to figure out if I'm feeding the right amount of calories. But I think my girl is lean but not skinny so she's probably getting enough. She's only 5 months but I'd probably be feeding 3 cups per day once I fully convert to the 30/20. Does that sound about right? It sounds like a lot, considering adults are on ~3 cups per day, but I know her nutrient needs are a lot higher while she's growing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
@WildfireHeart yes 3 cups is pretty normal for that age. Eevee got up to 4 for a little while around the 6 month mark. She’s been at 3 for several months now that’s done growing.
Good to know! My girl is on 3.5 cups of large breed puppy currently, so 3 cups of the Sport would probably be a similar calorie content. But of course, she's still growing, and we may just get up to 4 before too long!

I had done a live chat with a Purina rep on their website and the guy I talked to said to use the full grown weight as a guideline. I also emailed them and a different rep said to feed at the guidelines for the current weight. It was very confusing. It's much easier getting information here, I think!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I haven't logged on in awhile, my apologies. I don't ever follow bag guidelines, I follow body condition on my boys. I'm a bit obsessive with keeping them lean and athletic.

Currently - both boys get 1 cup of food, 2 x a day. They also get a frozen raw marrow bone from the butcher each morning (our "sanity" bones as we "lovingly" refer to them - LOL).

I follow the "rule" of easily felt ribs (rubbing their side should feel similar to rubbing over the back of your fingers when your hand is open), visible waist and a nice tummy tuck.

If they've been inside for days on end because of weather (other than potty breaks - and we've had tons of rain here in Georgia the last few weeks - even the ducks are wearing rain coats these days), they may get cut back by a 1/4 cup a day, and if they've had a particularly athletic day of dog sports, then they'll get an extra 1/4 cup that day.

Even with that amount of food (2 cups a day), Noah could still stand to lose about 5 or 6 lbs - he was 81 lbs his last visit. But, and not to make excuses, he is hypothyroid, on medication, and hypothyroidism can cause them to gain weight. He's also taller than breed standard (BYB boy).

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,636 Posts
I think look for the one without the shreds in it.
When they first introduced shreds, they took away the regular formulas and lots of Goldens had issue w the new formula (shred). It wasn't a month before it was back and people went to the old formula. DK if it is still the same but the shreds were the differing piece of it. I think there is a weim puppy on the bag of the regular formula.
The shreds is a different formula adding soy and something else. The shreds were just pieces that were not dried as much as the other kibble. Dry food is usually 10% moisture and the shreds formula is 12%. Those pieces are I think about 18% moisture. I think the shreds make up about 1/3 of the whole bag.

The reason the dogs didn't do as well is the formula changed, and is still different then the regular food, so it was like switching foods cold turkey.

That breed they put on the bag really doesn't matter that much they are just marketing things. It's still best to put a dog on the large breed puppy for controlled growth.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts