Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Showing a dog in a 6-9 mo. bitches. There were a few showing in that class. Take second place to a dog shown by a professional handler. Just got a letter from AKC that due to reasons we were moved up and awarded 1st place. Did some research and the bitch was suppose to show in the 9-12. This really stinks for the ones who missed the opportunity to advance.

·
the party's crashing us
4,418 Posts
It happens. Probably the owner's fault for not counting birthdays correctly.
I got a notice from AKC like that a few years ago, the dog who won open and eventually the point was not yet fully registered with AKC! He was a Canadian dog and his papers had not cleared yet. DUH!!!! on the owners part. So instead of getting 3rd we got 2nd. Woopdedo! :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I got a notification like that in obedience, once, too. Instead of taking 2nd, we took first.
Not that it mattered.
I understand in breed you didn't get a chance to go on for WB. But if the dog that won your class didn't take WB, and you didn't take reserve, you wouldn't have taken WB anyway. As Anney said, since often the owner does the entries, chances are the owner screwed up and the handler showed the dog in the class the owner had entered.
But it STILL sucks!

·
the party's crashing us
4,418 Posts
What kills me is you see this fairly frequently at the National. In the past 10 years there have been quite a few awards disallowed by AKC from goldens winning their class at the national! Sheesh you'd think they'd get their ducks in a row for that one at least.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
having taken RWD 3 times in the past couple weeks I'd LIKE to see a dog disallowed :doh:
Nah, not really. His owner is awesome, and he finished this past weekend after getting WD the past 3 consecutive shows under 3 different judges. But it was a nice thought!

What kills me is you see this fairly frequently at the National. In the past 10 years there have been quite a few awards disallowed by AKC from goldens winning their class at the national! Sheesh you'd think they'd get their ducks in a row for that one at least.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts

If I recall correctly this happened to Winner Dog one year at the National. Dog was in Am Bred but the breeding took place in Canada or something and was not eligible to show in Am Bred if I remember correctly. Talk about "OMG" :doh:

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I heard about that one. The dog was whelped in the US, but the sire lived in Canada and it was a live cover breeding. So technically he wasn't bred in the US!

It happens often enough that one would think people would get on top of these matters! I register my guys before we do anything stateside so that all my ducks are in a row!

Something similar also happened to RWD who came from the Bred-by class at the Florida National. He'd already been shown as a listed dog in some shows before that and was beyond the allowable time. The breeder/owner hadn't finalized his AKC reg in time! Someone else I know lost a 5pt major won at a regional under a breeder judge because they didn't get the paperwork in on time. RWD finished because of that gaff.

·
16,000 Posts
It happened to me at a Central Regional. David White beat me for the 12-18 mo dog class. I had a lot of bitches to get ready and (shame on me) didn't hang around for WD - David won. I never went in for Reserve. Later that afternoon at the banquet the judge said to me "Where were YOU for WD - your boy would have been my Reserve. :doh: David's dog was then DQ'd for being in the wrong class. That would have been a 5 pt major. Oh well, it really wouldn't have been quite the same... (Michael ended up finishing with 4 majors, anyway :))

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If I recall correctly this happened to Winner Dog one year at the National. Dog was in Am Bred but the breeding took place in Canada or something and was not eligible to show in Am Bred if I remember correctly. Talk about "OMG" :doh:
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm seriously trying to learn all I can about Goldens and dogs in general.

So here it goes, does where the breeding took place refer to where the actual mating occurred or where the litter was whelped?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I heard about that one. The dog was whelped in the US, but the sire lived in Canada and it was a live cover breeding. So technically he wasn't bred in the US!

It happens often enough that one would think people would get on top of these matters! I register my guys before we do anything stateside so that all my ducks are in a row!

Something similar also happened to RWD who came from the Bred-by class at the Florida National. He'd already been shown as a listed dog in some shows before that and was beyond the allowable time. The breeder/owner hadn't finalized his AKC reg in time! Someone else I know lost a 5pt major won at a regional under a breeder judge because they didn't get the paperwork in on time. RWD finished because of that gaff.
I need to read the whole thread before I ask questions!!! :doh: You just answered my above question!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts