Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
There is actually a few very famous pictures that were from members on this forum. I see them going viral every once in a while. One picture, the owner has actually seen them on pillows and other items being sold. If there is something that you do not want reused, then I do recommend putting a watermark on them. Sad we need to worry about these things.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So how does a picture of my puppy end up in a random grouping of photos on the internet? I googled golden pics and there she was. I deleted all my photos off this forum and a little concerned about private information being out there too, I've deleted as much as possible. Should I be concerned??
Did you happen to see the source of the photo? Did you just see it in the Google images search return? If so, it may have just been showing your photo from the forum. Obviously, anyone can copy the photos and use them if they want. In that case, you have a couple options - you can click on the "report photo" link provided by Google and ask that it be removed, and 2) you can contact the company using it and ask them to stop. If they don't, you can seek legal help. Typically a single letter from a lawyer will do the trick.

One other tactic is to lower the quality of the images before you upload them. Most commercial businesses will need a large/crisp image. I will purposely convert or change the image size before I upload them so that it is less desirable - just like the photo below. It's clear enough for everyone here to see, but can't be zoomed in to copy for use on a t-shirt or advertising print.

·
Puddles
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't do FB but will do some research. It's not even a great photo?! Just a puppy pic. But certainly don't want to have any location data possibly broadcasted. Thanks I will definitely use this advice or stop posting pics!

Although anyone that goes to that much trouble to find me will be sadly disappointed :) I live a very simple life but try and take my dogs?? I will shoot first and ask questions later.

·
Registered
258 Posts
As stated earlier anything on the net is up for grabs. It would be nice if that wasn't the case but it is. I once came across a photo I posted of my boat being used by someone else on another forum as their avatar. Just so you know any photo on any page can be saved to your or anyone else's computer by simply right clicking on the image and selecting "save image" or "copy image" once you've done that it's pretty much yours to do with as you please. As far as a security risk to your account, not really they've only copied the picture there are no other secrets attached. If you are concerned about your rights to the image a photo forum group could probably give you far more info on that than you probably need.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I assume that the site you are speaking of is the same one where I found photos of Bailey. They have since been removed and I have no idea how they got there. They were only posted on GRF. It should also be noted that there are some disreputable breeders who have taken photos either off of that website or from here to show photos of dogs (who are NOT theirs) to make it look as if these dogs are part of their breeding programs. I am not referring to any of the breeders on this site that we all know. They are reputable and would have no reason to do something so unethical. Rather, I am talking about those who are of the Back yard breeder or puppy mill mentality. Just something to be aware of. I would encourage members to take a look at photo bucket (among other sites) to check to see if their dogs photos show up. Mine did and the only place that those photos have been posted were on GRF.
I thank you for the watermark info. Even tho my photos are not particularly good I will use a watermark from now on and, I also have the location off for my photos.

·
Puddles
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL I noticed that! I can't remember who the breeder was, it was one of those someone was asking about. I remember the puppy had a rather disincentive look on the website so recognized it while trolling pics. It was a Pinterest picture! Yes that is the sight and saw Bailey's pic when she had all the mud.
Learning that the personal info. didn't go with the picture brought relief.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts