Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when you think we don't have enough things to worry about... I was reading the JAAHA journal where primary infundibular pulmonic stenosis was diagnosed in littermates(goldens). It is usually also associated with other heart defects... by pedigree analysis, they believe it is autosomal recessive. In people, they do surgery to correct it... they do not say in the article what the final outcome was for these dogs. They do say they believe it will worsen with age.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Is this diagnosed by echo?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and according to the article, the murmur is heard in the same place as SAS. But ECHO would differentiate the two. The work up was done at the University of Pa.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was found in 3 eight week old littermates.

Reactions: nolefan

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Is this something that is looked for in the heart clearances that breeders already do, or is this going to be another thing added to the list?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is rare.. one of the points of the article is that the authors had never seen it in littermates. But, if the dog has it, it will have a heart murmur. And as we all know, responsible breeders go to cardiologists for clearances and if a cardiologist hears a murmur, they do the ECHO.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thanks for posting about this. Now I am really glad my veterinarian was so diligent in recommending a heart echocardiogram a couple of years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts