Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking this questions for a friend of mine who has a newfoundland puppy. The breeder contacted him about keeping the primary contact to remain as the breeder for the AKC's Companion Animal Recovery and not changing it to the present owner.

The breeder said that she contacted the company and the company suggested to leave the breeder as the primary contact because if the dog was lost she has the tools to find the owner.

The present own, my friend, would be the secondary contact.

Is this normal to leave the breeder as the primary contact??? If so, why???

Thank you.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I'd not like it if a breeder did that to me, but I am a hypocrite. Most of my fosters are chipped in my name. Why? So that if the new owner ever dies, dumps the dog, or loses the dog, *I* get called. It encourages them to keep me posted with their current contact information, too (like if they move).

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd not like it if a breeder did that to me, but I am a hypocrite. Most of my fosters are chipped in my name. Why? So that if the new owner ever dies, dumps the dog, or loses the dog, *I* get called. It encourages them to keep me posted with their current contact information, too (like if they move).

Do you let the new owner of the foster know you have the chip in your name??

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Our rescue is the primary contact on all of our dogs. We let the adopters know that they will be the secondary contact. One of the main reasons is because our contact information isn't likely to change often if at all. And if the dog is found, left at a shelter or injured, we want to know.

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense to me as it is a foster and all. My concern is the breeder wants to remain the main contact and not the owner of the newfy.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
That makes sense to me as it is a foster and all. My concern is the breeder wants to remain the main contact and not the owner of the newfy.
Well, it's no longer a foster after it's adopted. That sounded snotty, and it wasn't meant to be. Basically, if they break the contract by taking the dog to a shelter or rehoming it, there is a way for the rescue or the breeder to find them. Or be found by the shelter. The Newfie breeder is probably doing it for the same reason.

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is exactly what I was thinking, the contract piece. I will share this info with my friend and he can take it from there. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
358 Posts
As a breeder who knows that some people have failed to inform me of address changes I was thinking about this too - I think that from now on I will be the primary contact number on all of my pups microchips (also for the thought of one of my pups being dropped into rescue or a shelter). Any other breeders do this?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I do tell people. If they don't like it, they don't get the dog. There are exceptions. I didn't do it with Dillon (on this forum) and some others going to personal friends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts