Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7,488 Posts
Spay for 51-100 lb female under 1 year is about $375 here, includes pre-anesthetic bloodwork, E-Collar, anti-inflammatory meds, pain meds, pain injection before coming home. Insanity, yes, but all local vets are about the same.

· Registered
7,488 Posts
I talked to my vet and asked her about the iv fluids and take home meds. She said the fluids were for her (Michaela's) kidneys and she said she would want take home meds if she had an organ removed. I really felt like she was trying to lay a guilt trip on me. I've called other clinics and no one else mentioned iv fluids.

I guess I'm leaning toward leaving her at our clinic but I'm really not happy with the attempted guilt trip and she (our vet) sounded annoyed when I asked if I could get a copy of Michaela's vaccinations if I decide to go elsewhere. But, I'm not crazy about the idea of taking Michaela to a vet I've never met either.

I've posted a poll to see what others' experiences have been. Maybe that will help me decide. Thanks everyone!
I'm a vet-school applicant and work for a vet P/T. Here's my take:

We use IV fluids based upon pre-sx bloodwork. Is s/he dehydrated? Give fluids. However, this is included in the price just as anal glands/nail clip/ear clean. Also use fluids on old pets or special conditions. Never usually on standard spay/neuter on 6 mo-2 year old pets.

I think pre-sx bloodwork is a must. In my opinion, we as humans take precautions when going under anesthesia. There's always a risk... Just because your dog looks healthy, doesn't mean all organs/systems are! We've actually been able to discover diabetes and a kidney problem recently on two separate (young) pets based on bloodwork in otherwise "healthy" animals. If you can't afford the "general health profile" that screens about 14 different things, ask for the "mini health profile" which covers all basic systems. It should save you some $. More often than not, your pet won't fall into a special case like the diabetes and kidney problems that I mentioned.

I don't think a veterinarian should begrudge someone just because they opt-out of bloodwork, etc. Afterall it is your pet, you know them best. Besides, I feel that pre-surgical bloodwork, post op meds are the "gold standard," where it would be ideal if everyone got it, but it definitely shouldn't diminish the love for your pet if you choose to scale back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.