Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I was not clear.
PARENTS were OFA certified. The guarantee was for "another puppy of our choice if this one developed hip dysplasia within x number of yrs." Yes, we wanted a other puppy. No, we were not going to give up our current dog. Maybe we didn't read all the fine print.
EVERYBODY OUT THERE! PLEASE BUY YOUR DOG FROM REPUTABLE BREEDERS ONLY!!
We can euthanize the rest.
I am tired of being attacked. Don't bother replying. I won't be back.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Even if I live in California, I would not buy a puppy in that state as everything in Calif. is grossly overpriced! Look outside of the state, even if you have to fly the new pup in...

I purchased a new field bred puppy from a great breeder 18 months ago. We have had many field bred Goldens over the last 25 years as we run them in field events and also hunt birds with them. Our newest addition has the best pedigree, buy far than any other Golden we have owned. His parents and Grandparents are fully titled in field and obedience events...and we paid $2,500 for the pup. The breeder was in Illinois....this was the most we have ever paid for a puppy. He has turned out to be a wonderful dog, with high trainability and drive. He is everything we expected and more....

Parents had full health clearances....

Paying anything even close to $10K for a Golden....appears to be a bad deal....!

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Sorry I was not clear.
PARENTS were OFA certified. The guarantee was for "another puppy of our choice if this one developed hip dysplasia within x number of yrs." Yes, we wanted a other puppy. No, we were not going to give up our current dog. Maybe we didn't read all the fine print.
EVERYBODY OUT THERE! PLEASE BUY YOUR DOG FROM REPUTABLE BREEDERS ONLY!!
We can euthanize the rest.
I am tired of being attacked. Don't bother replying. I won't be back.
I admit I didn't read thru the entire thread, just the ones there from yesterday and the last couple- respectfully, I don't think anyone (least all of Lisa) is attacking. Here's the thing- less than ethical breeders, they often claim certifications they don't have. Or they have prelims, and those are not certs. Some of us are very good at sleuthing out the true situation as to clearances, pedigrees and the like, and while you may no longer have the parents' certs, if you kow their registered names, we can find them for you. That's all she was asking for, and the suggestion you may have been told an untruth is unfortunately pretty common scenario.
I'm with you on ethical breeders. There are very few people here who would not 100% agree with you on that point. Only buy from an ethical breeder! And a warranty that requires return of a beloved dog is no warranty at all.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Thank you for your respectful inquiry. You are definitely correct with the "red flag". Unfortunately, this flag was not up when we bought her. The breeder seemed very legit, had lots of paperwork on all of her dogs. Fairly large outfit. Several sires and probably 5 or6 females. At the time we acquired the pup, there was not nearly as much information on the internet as there is today. We did our best doing our due diligence in picking a breeder. We do not breed ourselves. (There is no way I could give them up!) We have all of our dogs spayed so we have no reason to go to the expense of AKC registration. The 2 we have now are from AKC lineages, the paperwork for their parents is long gone. So is the paperwork for 20+ yrs ago! My original post was NOT an attempt to discourage anyone from buying from a reputable breeder, simply my story.
My point was, for people that just want a wonderful pet, there are Goldens out there that need a loving home. These dogs may not be perfect and in some cases MIGHT, in the long run end up costing more both financially and emotionally. IMO, this does not change the fact that these wonderful, loving dogs deserve a good home.
All of my girls (since 1978) have lived long happy lives. (12-13.5) Some of which were not purebreds. All of which I would have given my life for.
Once again, I apologize if I offended any breeders out there.
I think you're missing the point. Yes, there are all kinds of dogs out there and almost all deserve loving homes. But if people keep buying from backyard breeders, backyard breeders will keep breeding. You're basically advising everyone to just go buy a dog from whoever, without worrying about clearances, titles, and registrations. I bought my girl from a reputable breeder because I care about the breed as a WHOLE. Not just my dog, but the golden retriever breed itself. I could've spent a whole lot less money and gotten a great dog from a BYB who very likely wouldn't have had many medical issues (and don't get me wrong, a lot of medical issues are not eradicated by good breeding), but I chose to support a breeder who loves the breed that I love and wants to make them better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Buy a puppy from the midwest breeder and pay $2000 to $3500. Ad air freight or fly and pay air fare. Much cheaper and you will probably get a better pup.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I live close to Stage Gulch and they have been ridiculously/ stupidly priced for years. That being said if you want to stay in the area of the North Bay there are several NOR CAL GRC COE breeders that will sell you a wonderful pup for 3500.00 or less.
Foxfire and Masters are 2 that we know quite well and know several dogs from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I am looking to add a golden retriever to my family sometime in 2022. I’ve noticed that many breeders aren’t accepting applications from prospective families right now but I reached out to one in Petaluma CA called Stage Gulch Golden’s. Her price for a puppy is $14,000. I’m wondering if this is now the going price for golden’s now that there is an increase in demand? She said her waiting list is full until 2023 so there must be people who are able to pay this amount. Can anyone educate me on what the price is for a golden retriever from a reputable breeder? I was under the impression I’d be spending $5k or slightly more. Thanks!
Just my opinion
I would run run fast away from this breeder. That price is way way out of line for a Golden puppy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, I am looking to add a golden retriever to my family sometime in 2022. I’ve noticed that many breeders aren’t accepting applications from prospective families right now but I reached out to one in Petaluma CA called Stage Gulch Golden’s. Her price for a puppy is $14,000. I’m wondering if this is now the going price for golden’s now that there is an increase in demand? She said her waiting list is full until 2023 so there must be people who are able to pay this amount. Can anyone educate me on what the price is for a golden retriever from a reputable breeder? I was under the impression I’d be spending $5k or slightly more. Thanks!
That is a ludicrous price - when we were searching we found price ranges were from $1,800. to $5,000. - best of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
That’s insane and no don’t spend that amount. I’m from Michigan and the going price is around 3-5k. Keep looking or drive a distance and pick out a breeder out of distance. Best of luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
That’s insane and no don’t spend that amount. I’m from Michigan and the going price is around 3-5k. Keep looking or drive a distance and pick out a breeder out of distance. Best of luck!
14k. That is hilarious. I have a 21/2 year old female that is the sweetest nicest dog imaginable. However; i will sell her to you for 7k. JUST KIDDING. I live on Long Island where prices for almost anything are high. I paid 2k for my dog. I have never heard of a golden puppy being sold for that kind of money!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
When searching for your ideal pup or breeder you can go to K9DATA.COM Home Page. If the breeder and sire and dam are in their database you can find all kinds of information on their litters health clearances, pedigrees, performance titles earned, etc. It is a great resource.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You better run away from that breeder!!! NO! That is outrageous! Even a pup from Champion lines, that's total inflation & taking advantage!! Golden's from a "reputable breeder, belonging to the GRCA.org & AKC with their "health clearances" &from Champion lines can be from $1,500.-$3,500. Also, some location areas where a breeder is may charge more, like C.A. versus Montana.
Look on the "Golden Retriever Club of America" (this is the parent club of all golden clubs)
There's a map, look up your area(or scroll to below the map)for your state & golden club in California. Send that club an email, or call ( usually to the "secretary"or FB them, asking for their list of member breeders. You will then have to contact those breeders & ask your pertinent questions.
Make a list for yourself,
Do parent dogs have their health OFA clearances, heart, eyes, hips. Does breeder do any genetic testing for NCL? & Ichthyosis,& there are other things. They should have a contract with you, & would take puppy/dog back(at any age)if things didn't work out.
The GRCA has lots of info on their website for questions you should ask each breeder.
Breeders don't always have puppies, as it's not a puppy mill. You want a healthy sound puppy that's worth waiting for. If there aren't any breeders in your state, look at another state close to you.
I traveled a 3-1/2 hr each way to see a 5 week old litter out of my state. It was from a previous breeder I've had. But on the East coast. & Then i took my pup home at 8 weeks. She's been one of the best dogs we've had!
Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just got one after being on a waitlist for over a year. Paid $2500 from a very reputable breeder in Massachusetts who has been breeding for 40 years. Another friend got a beautiful puppy 5 months ago in Connecticut for $1800.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The only justification for that high a price is maybe you’re buying an older fully trained Master Hunter/Field trial dog. That amount of training could add up. And if you had the money and wanted a finished retriever, okay. If you hunt and have ever watched Master tests or field trials you’d probably agree that level of training would get you one spectacular hunting companion! Though it best have parents with clearances and possibly have passing prelims and DNA testing done already.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The only justification for that high a price is maybe you’re buying an older fully trained Master Hunter/Field trial dog. That amount of training could add up.
Figure about 1K per month for training and expenses with a good pro, maybe more (not much cheaper with a bad pro).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Unless you’re buying a Goldie to breed, or show, why not look on Craigslist? I got both Buck and Rocky on Craigslist from people answering my posting:
___

“Wanted - young, strong, healthy male Golden Retriever with complete vet records and papers. Please send details along with recent pics to . . . . “
____

I was real apprehensive until I tried it the first time and got Bucky. I had about a dozen responses, 3 - 4 were real contenders:

1) An army office just got transferred to Afghanistan and couldn’t take his beautiful 2 year old Goldie with him. He was a gorgeous dog with full papers, some training and a real possibility.

2) A woman was moving back east to move in with her mother who didn’t want her Golide to live with them. Imagine someone giving up their best friend!

3) A woman was getting a divorce and was afraid landlords wouldn’t take her Goldie. He was another beautiful dog with papers. I would live under a freeway before I would give up either one of my guys.

4) A man had a falling out with his boyfriend and was also moving and had to find a great home for his beautiful Golden. I got this one and renamed him ‘Buck’. He was just what I was looking for - about 85 lbs, 1 y.o., big, strong & rambunctious, . . . At 9 y.o he got a brain tumor and I had to put him down. I cried every day for a year. I can still barely think of Bucky without getting teary eyed, but I’m steady in the knowledge that no dog ever had a better life. I cooked for him, brushed his teeth, clipped his nails . . . Sometimes I’d take him in the tub with me when I took a bath - he really liked that! :)

There are some good dogs out there - why not give Craigslist a try!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unless you’re buying a Goldie to breed, or show, why not look on Craigslist? I got both Buck and Rocky on Craigslist from people answering my posting:
___

“Wanted - young, strong, healthy male Golden Retriever with complete vet records and papers. Please send details along with recent pics to . . . . “
____

I was real apprehensive until I tried it the first time and got Bucky. I had about a dozen responses, 3 - 4 were real contenders:

1) An army office just got transferred to Afghanistan and couldn’t take his beautiful 2 year old Goldie with him. He was a gorgeous dog with full papers, some training and a real possibility.

2) A woman was moving back east to move in with her mother who didn’t want her Golide to live with them. Imagine someone giving up their best friend!

3) A woman was getting a divorce and was afraid landlords wouldn’t take her Goldie. He was another beautiful dog with papers. I would live under a freeway before I would give up either one of my guys.

4) A man had a falling out with his boyfriend and was also moving and had to find a great home for his beautiful Golden. I got this one and renamed him ‘Buck’. He was just what I was looking for - about 85 lbs, 1 y.o., big, strong & rambunctious, . . . At 9 y.o he got a brain tumor and I had to put him down. I cried every day for a year. I can still barely think of Bucky without getting teary eyed, but I’m steady in the knowledge that no dog ever had a better life. I cooked for him, brushed his teeth, clipped his nails . . . Sometimes I’d take him in the tub with me when I took a bath - he really liked that! :)

There are some good dogs out there - why not give Craigslist a try!
This sounds like quite an invitation to offers from scammers.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Unless you’re buying a Goldie to breed, or show, why not look on Craigslist?
This is why you should get a puppy/dog from a responsible breeder, even if you don't plan to breed or show: Why Buy Your Next Puppy From A Show Breeder?

But, yes, I suppose it's POSSIBLE to find a good dog through Craigslist. You just need to understand that a dog obtained this way carries the same health, behavior and temperament risks as a dog from a shelter or rescue group. It's also highly likely that, as beautiful as the dog might be, it almost certainly came from a breeder who was NOT reputable, since reputable breeders require in their contracts that a dog be returned to them if the owner can't keep it (so if it was responsibly-bred, the current owner is likely violating their contract to sell/give the dog to you in the first place). If it came from a breeder that does NOT have that clause in their contract, then it is also likely that they didn't do any of the health clearances on the parents either, which puts the dog at a higher risk of serious health problems.

Reactions: MushyB and LA152
41 - 60 of 63 Posts