Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was on a waiting list with a Colorado breeder. We are getting male puppy and both parents have all up to date clearances and paying $3000. Keep looking we have been on waiting lists for 12 months now and you have to be patient.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Stage Gulch is not reputable. At all. And 14k for a puppy is outrageous. Stay away from them, Nicholberry, Carefree…..all of those are in the same category. High volume breeders, price gouging and not doing the necessary healthy testing. In California I’d think the “going rate” is between 3500 and 4000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks everyone for reaching out and giving me clarification. It’s much appreciated! I have emailed a few actual reputable breeders for info and referrals to other breeders that are also reputable as well as contacting the Golden Retriever Club of California. This site has been a huge help in my search. I’m not anxious to buy a puppy immediately and am willing to wait for the right breeder who is ethical and health tests their dogs. I just wanted to verify that that price isn’t legitimate. I could buy a horse for that price lol. So far my search has come down to Osprey Goldens and Esquire. Both are not breeding anytime soon and are unable to accommodate placing anyone else on a wait list but I figure it will happen when it’s meant to happen and again I’m happy to wait for the right breeder and puppy. It will be more rewarding.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thanks everyone for reaching out and giving me clarification. It’s much appreciated! I have emailed a few actual reputable breeders for info and referrals to other breeders that are also reputable as well as contacting the Golden Retriever Club of California. This site has been a huge help in my search. I’m not anxious to buy a puppy immediately and am willing to wait for the right breeder who is ethical and health tests their dogs. I just wanted to verify that that price isn’t legitimate. I could buy a horse for that price lol. So far my search has come down to Osprey Goldens and Esquire. Both are not breeding anytime soon and are unable to accommodate placing anyone else on a wait list but I figure it will happen when it’s meant to happen and again I’m happy to wait for the right breeder and puppy. It will be more rewarding.
Here is a list of CA breeders. I’d expect them all to abide by the CoE but always double check individual litters. (This list was formulated from a different fb group)

California Breeders:
Aubridge Goldens
Sacramento, CA
Aureus Goldens
Harbor Pines, CA
Calico Goldens
Fullerton, CA
Charlemagne Goldens
Carlsbad, CA
DD’s Goldens
Lodi, CA
Delta Gold
Wilton, CA
Hi-Tide Goldens
Fallbrook, CA
Kate’s Goldens
San Clemente, CA
Magicgold
Suisun City, CA
Master’s Goldens
Sebastopol, CA
Monogram Goldens
Woodcrest, CA
Regency Goldens
Gilroy, CA
Samben Goldens
Birnam Wood
Cotati, CA
Promise Golden Retrievers
Sanger, CA
Osprey Goldens
Sacramento, CA
Regency Golden Retrievers
Gilroy, CA
24K Goldens
Exeter, CA
Star Crowned Goldens
Ridgecrest, CA
Woodecoy Goldens
Ridgecrest, CA
Forum Golden Retrievers
Riverside, CA
Premiere Goldens
Esquire Golden Retrievers
Victory Goldens
Orange County, CA
Shadalane
Fallbrook, CA
Bear Valley Goldens
Oceanside, CA
Charlemagne Goldens
Carlsbad, CA
Redtail Goldens
Anderson, CA
Lionsgate Golden Retrievers
Bakersfield, CA

·
Registered
633 Posts
I see you've received great responses to your question. Just wanted to throw in that we paid $2800 in VA for our puppy picked up on Memorial Day weekend. Both parents have full verifiable health clearances on ofa and pedigrees with lots of titles behind them. The sire is also titled so I would agree with the $2000-$4000 price and what you should expect for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here is a list of CA breeders. I’d expect them all to abide by the CoE but always double check individual litters. (This list was formulated from a different fb group)

California Breeders:
Aubridge Goldens
Sacramento, CA
Aureus Goldens
Harbor Pines, CA
Calico Goldens
Fullerton, CA
Charlemagne Goldens
Carlsbad, CA
DD’s Goldens
Lodi, CA
Delta Gold
Wilton, CA
Hi-Tide Goldens
Fallbrook, CA
Kate’s Goldens
San Clemente, CA
Magicgold
Suisun City, CA
Master’s Goldens
Sebastopol, CA
Monogram Goldens
Woodcrest, CA
Regency Goldens
Gilroy, CA
Samben Goldens
Birnam Wood
Cotati, CA
Promise Golden Retrievers
Sanger, CA
Osprey Goldens
Sacramento, CA
Regency Golden Retrievers
Gilroy, CA
24K Goldens
Exeter, CA
Star Crowned Goldens
Ridgecrest, CA
Woodecoy Goldens
Ridgecrest, CA
Forum Golden Retrievers
Riverside, CA
Premiere Goldens
Esquire Golden Retrievers
Victory Goldens
Orange County, CA
Shadalane
Fallbrook, CA
Bear Valley Goldens
Oceanside, CA
Charlemagne Goldens
Carlsbad, CA
Redtail Goldens
Anderson, CA
Lionsgate Golden Retrievers
Bakersfield, CA
thank you so much for this list. It’s much appreciated 🙏🏻

·
Registered
200 Posts
We got our puppy from Osprey! Jan and Wendy are so great -- the puppies grow up on sorta a small ranch with horses, cats, and sometimes chickens, and their puppies have great temperament and are so, so smart, not to mention gorgeous. When we walk with our boy (now 8 months), it's like walking around with a celebrity and we are his entourage. Everyone stops us and wants to pet him all the time and of course, he loooves all the love. I can't imagine us having any other dog, definitely worth the wait.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe if you act nonchalant.....that way the breeder would think the interest rate was down and wouldn't charge as much......just kidding of course

·
Registered
254 Posts
Megora, "For that price, you should be able to ride that dog to work or something. LOL."

:ROFLMAO: :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Beware of pretty websites with dogs of questionable quality...I only checked one parent so far and I saw 3 of 4 missing health clearances. Are you kidding me??? Are people really paying $14,000 for puppies from parents without clearances??? Foreign dogs being bred here should have US clearances. How in the world do you know the dog had ANY clearances overseas??? No. Way.

That price is insane for a great dog. Run...run away fast...

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
We got Molly from Hi-Tide's in 2020 and she was $3,000 iirc. $14,000 for a puppy is crazy. That's the price of a modest new car! Megora is right, for that price, that puppy better be taking you to work every day. And carrying the groceries home.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Both of those breeders are excellent choices (we had an Osprey puppy in our puppy classes, he was very handsome), and it's so worth the wait to work with a breeder trying to better the breed, and not just make a quick buck. I'm in Northern CA also, and ended up getting a puppy from out of state (country! :ROFLMAO:), but once I found the breeder I wanted to work with (that didn't allow me on a waiting list until I filled out a very long puppy questionnaire, and he also checked ALL of my references), it took about 18 months from introduction, waiting several months to get on a wait list, puppies being born, and bringing our boy home. So worth it! Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very new to this forum. First I want to thank all the wonderful people who helped me through a tough time with my 7 yr olds medical problems. (She is fine now). Secondly, I want to add my 2cents worth about the OFA certs. Years ago (20?), I got a certified, guaranteed puppy. Within a yr it was pretty obvious that she was having hip trouble. The vet would not xray till 2 yrs old. At 2 she was diagnosed with level 3 hip dysplasia. (Only went to level 4). Breeder agreed to give us another puppy on the condition that we return our Brandy. Seriously? Of course we didn't and with the help of Cosequin and occasional aspirin she actually was able to live a happy, active comfortable life. 12yrs 4 months before succumbing to mast cell cancer. Maybe this was just a fluke and these certifications are well worth the extra expense. I guess my point is that I personally try and find someone who has simply wanted to breed their dog because they thought their dog was special. (Aren't they all! ). Unless you plan on showing, who cares about papers. I've had 4 purebreds and 3 mixes. Each and every one was/is special in their own way and I loved them all! My 7 yr old, (the one that just had a splenectomy) was actually given to me because she had puppy strangles at 4 weeks old and the owners whom we had only met once thought we would be great parents. Took Abby home at 5 weeks at the advice of the vet.Yeah I know, supposed to be to soon. She has been the most secure, self assured, well adjusted, intelligent dog i have ever had. Just goes to show, life is like a box of chocolate's.........!
You don’t have to spend a fortune to have a wonderful pet. (Just make sure that pet is a Golden!):p

·
Kate
22,424 Posts
Yes. :(

Because getting everything you want in a dog is not by chance or by luck.

I have 3 sets of hips and elbow xrays from my two babies and their dad. As we stand right now, they all cleared very easily with OFA. And the thing that I thought was fascinating was to see how similar the xrays were, especially the hips. They were all done by the same vet so take effects of good or bad positioning out and you have ideally positioned hips that were IDENTICAL. They were all tight, clean, and solid goods all three. That bone structure is hereditary. And that is a good reason among any to make sure that if you are purchasing a puppy - make sure those clearances are there. Because it does matter.

There are other things that matter as well. But as you focused on hips, so did I.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like I clearly stated in my post " maybe this was just a fluke and these certifications are worth the extra expense". Sorry I offended you. Have a nice evening.
Admittedly, my post was long. I will repeat the important part.
OFA certified. Guaranteed. 2years old, diagnosis...level 3 hip dysplasia.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Goldenonly - Not challenging your opinion or your assertions … just surprised that if the parents of your puppy were OFA “certified” that you ended up with a puppy with fairly severe hip dysplasia (I know it’s not impossible… genetics is a funny thing… it would just be unusual). I’m wondering 1. if the certs were legit and 2. What was “behind” the parents and did the grandparents, etc. have cleared hips. The fact that your breeder asked for your dog back before s/he would honor their “guarantee” is also a bit of a red flag for me…

Would you be willing to share the AKC reg numbers for your dog’s parents so that we can take a look at the OFA history? I’m genuinely curious to take a look and see where the hip issues might have come from…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for your respectful inquiry. You are definitely correct with the "red flag". Unfortunately, this flag was not up when we bought her. The breeder seemed very legit, had lots of paperwork on all of her dogs. Fairly large outfit. Several sires and probably 5 or6 females. At the time we acquired the pup, there was not nearly as much information on the internet as there is today. We did our best doing our due diligence in picking a breeder. We do not breed ourselves. (There is no way I could give them up!) We have all of our dogs spayed so we have no reason to go to the expense of AKC registration. The 2 we have now are from AKC lineages, the paperwork for their parents is long gone. So is the paperwork for 20+ yrs ago! My original post was NOT an attempt to discourage anyone from buying from a reputable breeder, simply my story.
My point was, for people that just want a wonderful pet, there are Goldens out there that need a loving home. These dogs may not be perfect and in some cases MIGHT, in the long run end up costing more both financially and emotionally. IMO, this does not change the fact that these wonderful, loving dogs deserve a good home.
All of my girls (since 1978) have lived long happy lives. (12-13.5) Some of which were not purebreds. All of which I would have given my life for.
Once again, I apologize if I offended any breeders out there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Like I clearly stated in my post " maybe this was just a fluke and these certifications are worth the extra expense". Sorry I offended you. Have a nice evening.
Admittedly, my post was long. I will repeat the important part.
OFA certified. Guaranteed. 2years old, diagnosis...level 3 hip dysplasia.
The language you’ve used to describe the situation with that puppy makes me wonder about the circumstances. “ I got a certified, guaranteed puppy.” It’s not a puppy that gets OFA clearances, it’s the parents (and hopefully the grandparents and other generations further back”. And I don’t know what a “guaranteed puppy” means. If it means the breeder included a health guarantee, those vary widely, in terms of return or reimbursement, type of conditions covered, age range at which a health condition appeared, etc. What you describe of the breeder only being willing to give you a puppy from another litter if you surrendered your dog to them is a red flag that I do sometimes see in breeder’s health guarantees, and the type of thing most members of this site would flag as unreasonable and warn prospective buyers that it essentially makes the “guarantee” useless because most puppy buyers wouldn’t be willing to give up their dog, instead you’d want assistance paying vet bills or another puppy in the future but not on the condition of having to surrender the current dog.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts