Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am looking to add a golden retriever to my family sometime in 2022. I’ve noticed that many breeders aren’t accepting applications from prospective families right now but I reached out to one in Petaluma CA called Stage Gulch Golden’s. Her price for a puppy is $14,000. I’m wondering if this is now the going price for golden’s now that there is an increase in demand? She said her waiting list is full until 2023 so there must be people who are able to pay this amount. Can anyone educate me on what the price is for a golden retriever from a reputable breeder? I was under the impression I’d be spending $5k or slightly more. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
$14,000 is an outrageous price.

Going range in most of the country for puppies from a reputable breeder, from health tested parents (all clearances), and often with conformation championships and possibly some working titles is in the $2000-$3500 range. As always, the range is likely a bit higher in CA, but I’d hesitate to spend more than $5000 even in CA. I’d expect $3000-$4000 to be more common.

You might find this thread of interest: Stage Gulch Goldens - Can anyone give some guidance?

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I was going to say the same as what Lisa just said.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Reactions: MyLilly

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello everyone, I am looking to add a golden retriever to my family sometime in 2022. I’ve noticed that many breeders aren’t accepting applications from prospective families right now but I reached out to one in Petaluma CA called Stage Gulch Golden’s. Her price for a puppy is $14,000. I’m wondering if this is now the going price for golden’s now that there is an increase in demand? She said her waiting list is full until 2023 so there must be people who are able to pay this amount. Can anyone educate me on what the price is for a golden retriever from a reputable breeder? I was under the impression I’d be spending $5k or slightly more. Thanks!
NO, NO, NO! Definitely stay away from that one!!!! I am in northern CA and when I 1st started my search, I too contacted this "breeder" and was floored at the price. Then I found this forum and "learned better and did better"! There are super reputable, responsible, and ethical breeders out there and this is the place to learn what that means and who they are. You have taken the 1st step by asking the question so that the experts can steer you to, or away from a particular breeder! It does take a while to find a healthy puppy, with documented health certifications, so don't get discouraged. I broadened my search and found the perfect breeder and puppy in WA. We flew up and brought Archie home. It was very easy, so don't be afraid to look at surrounding states. I'm sure prices vary, but to give you an idea, I paid $2,500 for Archie. Good luck in your search and keep asking questions!

·
Registered
19 Posts
People might be willing to pay that much because they want a puppy asap without thought for reputable breeding and if the parents are health tested and cleared. Some places even offer more insane prices added on for "puppy training" before they go home!

I'm expecting a puppy that is 4k or higher to at least have all the clearances and DNA tests to be completed, probably from a top of the line breeding program. There's a lot of breeders listed on this forum if you do some searching, and lots more if you're willing to travel for a non outrageous price. I'm sure it'll be worth it! 😁

·
Registered
259 Posts
The highest I saw in California for fully cleared parents and generations back during the peak of 2020’s everyone-wants-a-puppy-now phase was $3,800. Lowest I saw in Southern California from fully cleared parents and back was $3,000, and lowest I saw around the country was $2,200 for the same; fully cleared dogs for generations back. I would hesitate to pay more than $4,000 for a puppy, even in California, and would definitely recommend double checking here on the forum first if you come across prices like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
$14,000 is absolutely ridiculous. That breeder is also not doing everything a responsible breeder should be doing. They’re also using the term “English cream” which is just a marketing ploy for irresponsible breeders. Stay far away from them. My breeder breeds some of the top show goldens in the nation and their puppies go for $4k. I’d be happy to share their info. Responsible, ethical breeders breed to standard and produce puppies with incredible health, temperament, and structure. The breeding dogs should also have OFA and genetic clearances and conformation and/or performance titles at the bare minimum.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Golden puppies of champion show lines from very reputable breeders in California are currently ranging from $2500 to $3500 when I started looking last year. They might even be up a little higher this year, but none that I saw over $4000. Never ever would I pay $14000 -- that seems like a con.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Golden puppies of champion show lines from very reputable breeders in California are currently ranging from $2500 to $3500 when I started looking last year. They might even be up a little higher this year, but none that I saw over $4000. Never ever would I pay $14000 -- that seems like a con.
I mean I totally agree but that happend to me and I have to pay out 10 to 14 depending on the Interest rate.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I mean I totally agree but that happend to me and I have to pay out 10 to 14 depending on the Interest rate.
To clarify: Did you pay 10,000 - 14,000 dollars for a puppy??

·
Registered
5 Posts
To clarify: Did you pay 10,000 - 14,000 dollars for a puppy??
Yes ,correct that is what I am saying /factor in I wanted a puppy and I love all alone and take medication for depression and also single with A.D.D.

I admit that’s too high of a price i just can’t do anything about it at this point.

Maybe a go fund me ..lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
This place should be notorious for their ridiculous pricing -- Someone told me about this place and that they were asking them for 17,000 for a puppy. When I had looked into them before, the studs and dams didn't have the recommended OFA clearances (they had Pennhip), and grandparents and great grandparents did not have clearances. No dog show or obedience titles on the parents, just therapy dog. Paying for fancy marketing

In a nutshell what the above posters have said - going rate from a reputable breeder is 2,000 - 4,000. This includes full clearances on parents and grandparents, and some CH titles in there.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts