Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, golden lovers! I’ve finally agreed to get a golden for my wife and kids, but noticed costs for puppies from breeders are way higher than when we first started this talk last year. It seemed a puppy with believably good parent health was about $2,000-$2,500 at the end of 2019, but now I can’t find any puppies in my area for less than about $6,000. Is there any reason any of you can think of beyond simple pandemic puppy price gouging? If so, I’m happy to wait, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue, or if it’s area-specific. Or if breeders choose prices based on the appearance of families (not sure how I ever would have come across as rich, lol). And if this is pandemic-related, I wonder how many puppies are going to end up at rescues after more people start going back to the office. Thanks, and hope you are having better luck than our family!

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
All the (reputable) breeders I know (in New England) are still selling puppies in the $2000-$3500 range (most are $2500-$3000). So yes, I think it's pandemic price gauging and I would not consider any breeder hiking their prices to that level to be at all reputable. We're happy to "vet" them for you if you want to share kennel name and/or the registered names/numbers of the dam and sire...

Reactions: BlazenGR

·
Kristy
10,133 Posts
Try using the search feature at the top of the page to look for ideas in your area. Also can be worth flying to pick up a puppy in a less expensive area of the country. Search by state or region "midwest" "Southeast" etc. GRCA.org also has regional puppy referral, can be helpful to network that way. So a lot of breeders do more genetic testing now, everything is more expensive, progesterone testing to get a female pregnant sometimes is run multiple times etc. Emergency surgery to deliver c section puppies costs several thousand dollars. The amount of time a really committed breeder puts into those puppies can justify the cost of puppies at $2-3k especially with multiple generations of health tested parents. I applaud your attitude of having patience and doing the research to find someone pricing them reasonably. The $5and $6k puppies are almost certainly from price gouging people using puppies to make money, it is not likely they are worth the extra money although I suppose some people will pay it. That would normally be paid for a serious field trial pedigree and maybe with some actual training involved. If it makes you feel better, people in Europe are having the same problems based on groups I belong to online. Just take your time and research. Wishing you luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mod here. I moved your post to a more relevant part of the forum.
Thanks so much!
All the (reputable) breeders I know (in New England) are still selling puppies in the $2000-$3500 range (most are $2500-$3000). So yes, I think it's pandemic price gauging and I would not consider any breeder hiking their prices to that level to be at all reputable. We're happy to "vet" them for you if you want to share kennel name and/or the registered names/numbers of the dam and sire...
Thanks so much! I’m new to the forum, so am going to try to send a private message with locations and names. ☺

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try using the search feature at the top of the page to look for ideas in your area. Also can be worth flying to pick up a puppy in a less expensive area of the country. Search by state or region "midwest" "Southeast" etc. GRCA.org also has regional puppy referral, can be helpful to network that way. So a lot of breeders do more genetic testing now, everything is more expensive, progesterone testing to get a female pregnant sometimes is run multiple times etc. Emergency surgery to deliver c section puppies costs several thousand dollars. The amount of time a really committed breeder puts into those puppies can justify the cost of puppies at $2-3k especially with multiple generations of health tested parents. I applaud your attitude of having patience and doing the research to find someone pricing them reasonably. The $5and $6k puppies are almost certainly from price gouging people using puppies to make money, it is not likely they are worth the extra money although I suppose some people will pay it. That would normally be paid for a serious field trial pedigree and maybe with some actual training involved. If it makes you feel better, people in Europe are having the same problems based on groups I belong to online. Just take your time and research. Wishing you luck.
Thanks so much, I’ll look into the GRCA referral service!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been looking for a golden puppy since Jan 2020 so before the lockdown occurred. The pricing from the reputable breeders I've contacted have not changed - they have been $2800-3500 from both show and field lines. I recently finally placed a deposit on a pup from show lines and she was $3000.

Edit to mention most of the time breeders who price gouge are not reputable. The only time I see a dog go for over $5000 (who are not service dogs) are designer mixes or trendy breeds like backyard bred French bulldogs.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Prices from reputable breeders on the west coast are anywhere from $3,000-$4,000. I think they may be slightly less in some other parts of the country. I’ve not heard of any breeders I know charging $6,000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts