Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old red ,i know next to nothing about hunting, she seems she wants to go after the ducks,on the water we live on, i feel i am being unfair to her, we don't hunt, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just give her other things to spend her energy on...does not have to be live critters! If you are not into hunting so what? My little red field golden LOVES running and then jumping into the water after balls. She is obcessed! Do I feel bad because I'm not hunting ducks....NO! I only want to hunt ducks with my zoom lense, not a rifle!

Now can we see some pictures of her?

Attachments

Reactions: goldensrbest

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What i mean,is i wonder if i am keeping her from doing,what she was breed for, is she truley happy, does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am pretty sure my girl is truly happy and she is not going after live prey....

You don't miss what you don't know about....

It is our choice as humans to hunt dogs for our gratification. Sure, some dogs thrive on jobs; but the job could be anything. My girl's job is to bring me the ball at times. Other times it is to sniff out what I've hidden (scenting classes) and bring it to me. Other times to have her tummy rubbed. She acts happy, energetic, does not mope around, bounces and flips her head when I come home...and has never touched a duck. Yet I have no doubt if someone else owned her and started her right she would be superb at it.

The real question is what gratifies you?

Picture please... :) :) :)

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
I think you are doing your part by getting her in the water where she can chase ducks. As long as her obedience is solid and you can get her to come back to you, I doubt she's missing the restrictions, rigidity, focused training, zap collars, ear pinches, and WORK that is hunt. :)

I admire people who do hunt and I may do some form of it in the future... but a lot of it is for us and not necessarily the dogs. It's the same with obedience. We as trainers enjoy having a polished dog, but to a certain extent if you left our dogs to do what they REALLY want to do, it would be dancing around the ring and making people laugh. The right kind of training can make it fun and enjoyable for the dogs, but there's a lot of work... :)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
As long as she has something to do and you are not keeping her from exercising or working on something such as fetch or agility or whatever you choose to do with her then no you are not depriving her of anything.

If we went by what a dog was bred to do then by all rights I should be fighting my American Pit Bull Terrier because that is what her breed was bred for. I dont and I never ever would. Her job is to find things( tracking) and fetching her ball and make me laugh she is really good at be a clown.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I am sure she is plenty happy without playing the retrieve game....although it is true dogs do love it.

I am new to field training with my dog. Sure she plays certain parts of the game for me, but I honestly wouldn't bother doing it if she didn't love the game. If you ever want to give it a shot you can always look for a local hunting retriever club or golden retriever club and see if they have any field days and take your dog just for fun and experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
I have a 10 month old red ,i know next to nothing about hunting, she seems she wants to go after the ducks,on the water we live on, i feel i am being unfair to her, we don't hunt, what do you think?
I think that it's time to take a Hunter Safety Course and start hunting.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
My first golden, King, had an extreme hunting drive. He did do some hunt training and work, although at the time I did not realize that hunters were what kept most of of conservation areas going & maintained, and so was opposed to hunting. But - King needed it -- so he got to do it.

My little red, Casey, has a strong drive as does my Faelan, Casey's drive was successfully channeled into agility while Faelan is being trained for hunt tests, etc.

The Hunter Safety Course is truly eye-opening on exactly how critical a role hunters play in maintaining and improving our wildlife & lands - if you can, take the course, and then decide whether you want to participate :)

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I don't hunt :) But my dogs do retrieve...

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Well you don't have to hunt. Actually, you don't have to hunt even to be involved in hunt tests. Or just to go to an activity if you are interested and just for a day see what your dog thinks of it. But it is up to you, I am sure she is happy dog without.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It sounds like you have a strong retriever that needs to be organized through training. Having prey drive is essential if a dog is to be a strong performer in the field. Basics, Basics, Basics.

It takes around 6 months on average to take one thoroughly step by step all the way from formalized obedience through Swim-by. It's the very foundation on which all more advanced skills are built and maintained over the course of a working dog's career.

The components of Basics in order
1) “Here”
2) “Heel & Sit”
3) “Hold”; automatically evolves to Walking “Hold, Heel, Sit”
4) “Fetch”; ear pinch, which evolves into Walking “Fetch” & “Fetch-no-fetch”, e-collar conditioning to “Fetch”
5) Pile work, including Mini-pile, Nine bumper pile; AKA Force to pile
6) 3-handed casting; teaching the 3 basic casts – “Back” and both “Over’s”, including 2-hands “Back”
7) Mini tee; includes collar conditioning to all basic commands, transferring to the go, stop, cast functions in micro dimension as preparation for the Single tee. Also includes De-bolting
8) Single tee
9) Double tee
10)Water force, Water tee with Swim-by
EvanG​

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I dont hunt and I dont plan on hunting but I am training Jige to do the hunt test/trials. He loves it. I do however have a friend that hunts ducks every years and I have made plans with him to go out with Jige. He has never hunted with a dog and said it might be nice to know he can take a shot and if he cant get to the bird the dog will o out and get it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Chester LUURRRVEEES to go hunting with OH but our season only last 2 months..the rest of the year its dummies...which he also LUUURRRRVEESS. As long as hes retrieving he doesn't actually care if its live or dummies!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I GUESS I WONDER, IF SHE WOULD BE BETTER OFF, GOING TO SOMEONE,THAT CAN GIVE HER WHAT I CAN NOT,i had a red before,and she was not ,of the same temperment, so this has been , a new thing with me, as not every owner,is right for a certain dog, a not every dog ,is right for every person, PLEASE NO JUMPING ON ME, FOR THINKING,AND ASKING THIS QUESTION, TRYING TO GET SOME ANSWERS HERE.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Goldensrbest

Goldensrbest

I'm sure your girl is VERY HAPPY with you, with all of the love and affection you shower on her. That is all that dogs really want!

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
I GUESS I WONDER, IF SHE WOULD BE BETTER OFF, GOING TO SOMEONE,THAT CAN GIVE HER WHAT I CAN NOT.
I think it's fair to ask this question if your dog is not thriving with you. If you feel you are not giving that dog a good home and providing for that dog mentally, physically, and I guess emotionally.

My great-grandparents rehomed one of their beagles because they were old and couldn't provide enough exercise for that dog for him to be happy and healthy. The dog kept running out into the street and wouldn't stop until he was tired. This was near downtown Chicago, so very frightening for them.

They rehomed the dog with family outside the city who owned plenty of land and fenced in yard for that dog to run on without risk of injury.

That was a case where they made the best decision for that dog.

Rehoming a golden with a high retrieve... I would do it if you couldn't control that dog, if that dog is "too much dog" for you to handle and the result would be a dog who is destroying the home or hurting herself because of boredom or running loose into the streets or wherever because she's needs a more experienced training hand to make her obey.

These are very serious things to consider if you are having problems and are worried about something bad happening to her because of her energy and drive.

But as far as worrying if she's happy? I wouldn't. As I said, I'm sure she is completely thrilled that you take her places where she can swim and indulge in her birdy instincts. She doesn't have to be piling titles on to be happy.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think it's fair to ask this question if your dog is not thriving with you. If you feel you are not giving that dog a good home and providing for that dog mentally, physically, and i guess emotionally.

My great-grandparents rehomed one of their beagles because they were old and couldn't provide enough exercise for that dog for him to be happy and healthy. The dog kept running out into the street and wouldn't stop until he was tired. This was near downtown chicago, so very frightening for them.

They rehomed the dog with family outside the city who owned plenty of land and fenced in yard for that dog to run on without risk of injury.

That was a case where they made the best decision for that dog.

Rehoming a golden with a high retrieve... I would do it if you couldn't control that dog, if that dog is "too much dog" for you to handle and the result would be a dog who is destroying the home or hurting herself because of boredom or running loose into the streets or wherever because she's needs a more experienced training hand to make her obey.

These are very serious things to consider if you are having problems and are worried about something bad happening to her because of her energy and drive.

But as far as worrying if she's happy? I wouldn't. As i said, i'm sure she is completely thrilled that you take her places where she can swim and indulge in her birdy instincts. She doesn't have to be piling titles on to be happy.
my main concern, is her being happy, also the biting problem, i have in the laying with spirit, she is rough with him, very much so, so maybe she is sooo rough, because her drive is not being met?

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
my main concern, is her being happy, also the biting problem, i have in the laying with spirit, she is rough with him, very much so, so maybe she is sooo rough, because her drive is not being met?
It could be she's just being obnoxious and needs time to grow up.

I'm sure she has more busy instincts and "drive" than my guy who is mostly conformation lines. But that first year was horrible because of my mom calling me up every day and complaining about Jacks chewing on Danny. We never experienced anything like that before because our previous dogs had a bit less tolerance and fewer manners when it came to teaching biting inhibition to the puppies. Danny would not even growl at Jacks. He would lay there and squeeze his eyes shut.

What helped over time, and what I advised my mom to do every time she called was put him in my bedroom every time he got into his obnoxious kicks and there wasn't somebody around to keep Jacks on leash.

The other somewhat kooky thing is our collie also helped. Every time Jacks bit Arthur's hair (he didn't even have to bite any skin), Arthur would immediately pin Jacks. And this led to every time Jacks would try chewing on Danny around Arthur, Arthur would swoop in to correct Jacks.

So I basically told mom to make sure Arthur was around if Jacks was loose around Danny. Otherwise, Jacks had to be taken for a walk down to my bedroom to chill or taken outside, etc.

He did settle down. It just takes time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts