Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Golden's Pet
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for information and advice about high prey drive goldens. I have a 3 year old golden that was released from a serivce dog school for high prey drive, dog distraction and potential hip issues. She's very sweet and loving but high energy.

She will chase anything that moves, squirrels, crows, other critters. She's good with cats as she was raised with them. She has not caught anything yet but I don't think it would go well for the critter if she ever caught one.

A relative of mine has just aquired a small parrot, this bird may make appearances at family gatherings and will likely not be in a cage at least part of the time. Other birds this relative have owned have been allowed to fly around the room etc. I am thinking that it would not be a good idea for Saffron to be at gatherings with a small bird loose in the house. My concern is that she will chase it, scare it, and possibly scare it getting a good bite in the process.

Is there any way to get a highly prey driven dog to leave birds alone or is it just part of being bred as a "bird dog"? I have another golden who is 8 years old and while he chases critters in the yard he is just not that interested and likely won't be a problem.

It's my job to protect Saf and at this point I think that leaving her home or alternating gatherings with bird and my dogs so that they are not in the same place at the same time is my best bet.

Thoughts?

Jenn, Mellow Murphy and Saffron the Wild thank you!

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Yeah, trust me given the chance Saffron would probably do more than just "chase" the bird. Best to alternate pets at that event!

Oh and yes that is the price of buying a sporting dog. Sounds like she has a lovely temperament for field work!

·
The Golden's Pet
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

That is what I was thinking. She would be good in field work but she does not like to retrieve much. She will carry a stuffed toy in her mouth and makes a big deal of "killing" the stuffy. She's quite mouthy and we work on this...not may people like having their hands grabbed by Saffron when they come into my house unless they are golden lovers :)

I am wanting to do some activity with her but don't know how to ensure she does not hur her hips. She is at risk for dysplasia as her Penn Hip scores showed laxitiy beyond what the service dogs school feels is acceptable for working/breeding dogs. Out vet who breeds goldens has seen her x-rays and says her hips look well seated and structured (she uses OFA rather than Penn Hip). she stated I might never have a problem with her hips but I don not want to put her at risk for problems later.

She has plenty of energy...we met a bunch of avelanche dogs and handlers staying in our hotel in Whistler a couple of years ago. One offered to buy her from me then and there...said her temeprament was exactly what they look for. I thought she was behaving like a little hellion ;-)

I love her to bits, she's my cuddle bug!

Jenn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts