Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies and gents. I am here to ask some more advice on my lovely dog Murphy.

He has been on Cartrophen for his arthritis. We recently gave him a new course of 4 injections as we noticed he was no longer climbing up on the bed etc.
It has now been two weeks since his last injection and we feel that after two years it has lost its potency.
The vet then checked his hips and said that one seems to be stiffer than the other but overall he is in good shape. He still cocks his leg trying to pee, haha. Would he even try this if he was in serious pain?

To cut a long story short, he is very stiff and unsteady after sleeping for about 20 seconds, but this is maybe the norm for a 12 year old dog?

The vet has prescribed him Previcox as he is a bit stiff when getting up, but after 4 days I am not seeing a massive difference, he actual appears to tire faster so I think that I'm no longer going to give him this and return to vet to ask advice. Should the Previcox not work straight away?
I have also read a lot of horror stories about it!

Would hydrotherapy or some other alternative work better than a nsaid?

Thanks ladies and gents and sorry for the rant, I just want to do the best for my mate! One last thing, as he is walking less and less and he also needs to loose weight, what dosage of dry food should he be getting, atm I give him two cups?

Thanks, Emmet and Murph....

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I also have a "Murphy"! A fine Irish dog :)!
I've had Goldens in the past and when Casey was 12 he also slowed down when it came to standing up and walking. He's put his two feet up on the sofa and wait for us to hoist his rear end up.
I think its just old age catching up. My Murphy get two cups a day of Orijen Six Fish (I recently changed from Acana). If your Murphy is not getting exercise maybe cut back on dog food and fill in with some vegetables.
You'll get good advise here from many people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply! That is soo odd, he also puts his front paws on sofa and then has you hoist him up. Does a lot of huffing and puffing like a grump when lying on the floor. Is your cool dog on any nsaids? I started giving him Previcox but am not seeing anything spectacular, like today he walked about ten minutes and then stopped, he just wanted to go home so don't know if it is worth the risk.

I get very paranoid about him, any lumps and bumps have been aspirated by the vet, though when new ones sprout up I always fear the worst. He still climbs the stairs, tries to roll around on the lawn, which has to be stopped by me haha.

Would Murphy be stiff after lying on the floor etc? Thanks and sorry for all the questions ;0

I don't know how to post an image so this is the main man in my profile image :0:
https://www.facebook.com/Highlight-277935142232883/

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
My Murphy is only four. But when Casey was 12 we had to stop walking him because he began to almost drag the back legs. That's when the poop began sliding out. He'd get so angry when I'd take our other Golden for a walk and couldn't go anymore. I gave him some kind of arthritis drug but stopped after reading the side effects, it didn't do much anyway. I believe its old age for your Murphy. I've seen it in my older dogs over the years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You should not see much difference in the response to the Previcox. Both are NSAIDS and act as cox2 inhibitors. Rimadyl was the first to be used about 25 years ago and since then newer NSAIDs have come on the market. The advancement of these drugs did not improve their efficacy but were better for decreasing the possibility of long-term side effects. Rimadyl, therefore has more potential for side effects as Previcox but the effectiveness of both drugs are the same.

Most veterinarians, when the NSAIDs no longer control the pain, will add other drugs with analgesic benefits to the pain management protocol. This might include Tramadol, Gabapentin, etc. This way you get the benefits of the NSAID as well as the benefit of the analgesic. There are many things that can be done for chronic pain these days including a lot of natural supplements. Joint supplements are certainly helpful in helping with mobility. Fish oil helps with arthritic pain, acupuncture and cold laser therapy help as well. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts