Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to begin reading up on parvo now that I have an official date to get my puppy.
Some questions before I get started (I scrolled for a little while and did a search on the forum here before posting)

Can I let my puppy play in my yard at home?
I have lived on my 7.5 acres for 2 years, I have chickens, horses, and I had a dog a year ago that has passed. The previous owner bred dogs on this farm, I think they were Weimaraners and she had outdoor kennel set ups.

I live in south Texas and I have heard rumors that parvo is bad here.

I know better than to take my puppy out in public before all vaccines have been completed but I am not sure if my home is safe either.

On a side note, I have an exterminator that comes every other month to spray my house inside and out and the grass in my yard for fleas and ticks and other pests. My professional says it is pet safe after it dries. My chickens and previous dog never had any reaction to it. I will be asking him again about the safety aspect when he comes on the 4th but I thought I would ask here as well.

If it turns out that my yard isn’t safe due to parvo concerns how do I address potty training?
Thank you!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I would research parvovirus in chickens. I know it exists just don't know if it jumps species or not. If it does, I would probably be uber paranoid around that and spray down the yard with bleach solution. ...
I'm reasonably sure I would not let pest control spray the area that puppy will be in, regardless of his assertions on safety- we all know things that are claimed safe and later we find they are not... Roundup comes to mind. OTOH- if you don't have fleas now, and you have new pup on flea prevention, it is unlikely you will suddenly get an infestation. I don't have fleas except those passing through on 3 acres. Like, have not seen one in 5 years. I do see ticks, but no fleas. When we do a dog show, I give whoever went a capstar before we leave the site and by the time we get home I figure it has killed anything crawling.
Parvo is bad everywhere. ... I remember in the 70's when it first showed up, dogs dying right and left and whole litters succumbing to it. Thankfully that is not a common thing anymore though @ my vet's for our 8 week health cert, they still have me bring the pups to the barn for their exams because of all the flea market puppies who come in and are not safe bets. I love a proactive vet! I'm sure your breeder will send home all sorts of products, but if not- I love MesAmis for leashes, collars (and irl I don't use collars but instead a slip lead they make), isle of dogs for shampoo/conditioner, you'll want a small crate (22-24) for training and a larger one (prob a 36) for the rest of pup's life when you need to stick him or her away because of elderly visitors or whatever... exercise pens are nice to attach to crates for restricting freedom, and read thru the toys posts here lately for what not to use (string, made in china, edible bones). The very best teething toy I have ever owned was a fluid filled champagne glass that can be frozen and filled w cheese or peanut butter- https://barkshop.com/products/bijous-glass-of-bubbly?variant=19190257451065&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uBRANEiwA_vXQ-6tiH01-xEabRYjEOt8upitJ-APb3wqJzZ2-kvrmfpAU9qsS-xU4YhoC738QAvD_BwE this one thing I have had for many years and it is a nighttime chew during teething and lives in my freezer between keepers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the research leads! Also thank you for all of the additional valuable information.
I’ve been slowly purchasing things for puppy over the last few months, I have a nice exercise pen (large, high, very sturdy) and a 42 inch adjustable crate. I plan to follow my veterinarian’s flea and tick regimen because I understand since they’re so young they need to use different medicines.

I can also start keeping the chickens sequestered away from high puppy traffic areas. They currently free range but can totally restrict access to the main yard, hopefully a few months and some good rain will flush everything out and then I’ll apply bleach solution. I definitely want to stay away from puppy pads and such. I’m taking 2 weeks off from work “pupternity leave” to transition my puppy to living at home with us.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
if you use the adjustable crate panel, be sure not to leave collar on puppy... there have been several deaths from that panel
(when you take it apart and give it a look, it is the hookie things that they get hung on)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend and I were discussing this and we came up with an idea. Not sure if it’s overkill or can be relied upon I’m not sure. I have a large front deck, it’s made out of wood. What if I created a small patch of sod in a little kiddie pool using those grass squares you buy from Home Depot? That way he gets to associate the grass with potty training but I keep him in a safe controlled environment.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I used to take a 1X3 piece of sod when we had a houseboat- for the big dogs- but puppies (when I did try it with a litter) tore it up and made an awful mess w it. When we have a hurricane I buy a few squares to put in a kiddie pool just in case I have to drag something into the house to use- but I only do that because I have a need for sod in my side yard so it's not a waste.
I see city people who do that on balconies- and there IS a service to have fresh sod delivered so I guess it has become a thing- and they get great reviews- https://www.freshpatch.com/products/fresh-patch-standard?variant=3477439297&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWZEKDi7eYL8Tty_EornxyTMrNWySDkvbDlGFyohx_6NM8vB-fuNufBoCR_kQAvD_BwE

Anything you do (I'm thinking the chickens as a vector) till pup is 16 + weeks old cannot be overkill- just a safety measure.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
How about investing in an exercise pen or small 10x10 4ft tall dog run? If you can't keep the chickens in a pen, keep them out of the puppy area? You have time to prepare the pen to make it safe for pup and kill out anything that might be on the ground.
Tractor supply? Walmart.com? They deliver :)
Even when the pup gets older it will be a safe place to play without much to get into.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
After we had a puppy from the Dallas SPCA that had parvo when we got her :crying: and died. We had to go to extreme measures with our contaminated yard. We sprayed/saturated the yard with a strong bleach mixture (actually killed the top of the grass but it came back). We also built a small pen and put fresh sod over the old grass. We found a 4 month old puppy who had been given 2 doses of parvo vaccine already and they even got her a third dose and kept her an extra week. We set our shoes in a pan of pure bleach before we went to the breeders. For a few weeks we carried her to the pen and back into the house. She was fine.
It can live in the soil for years in Texas so it's not unreasonable to take as many precautions as you can and then try not to let worry overshadow the fun.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I will second the Mes Amis leashes. Chuckanut golden pups are sent home with the Mes Amis leash and I still use it some on my 11+ year old golden. It still looks brand new but only because I never let Jonah put it in his mouth and chew it up, ha! Isle of Dogs or Chris Christensen shampoos are really nice.
I remember when I first brought Jonah home and was so worried about what could happen. Well, he got a mushroom in his mouth before I could even blink and about 30 mins. later looked like he was about to die! Drooling, tears rolling from his eyes, throwing up and diarrhea....I thought this is it and rushed him to the emergency vet. He was fine after a shot of an antidote and has never put a mushroom in his mouth again!
Thanks, Prism, for the tip on Capstar. I don't have a flea problem but it is nice to know about because we travel a lot.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I will second the Mes Amis leashes. Chuckanut golden pups are sent home with the Mes Amis leash and I still use it some on my 11+ year old golden. It still looks brand new but only because I never let Jonah put it in his mouth and chew it up, ha! Isle of Dogs or Chris Christensen shampoos are really nice.
I remember when I first brought Jonah home and was so worried about what could happen. Well, he got a mushroom in his mouth before I could even blink and about 30 mins. later looked like he was about to die! Drooling, tears rolling from his eyes, throwing up and diarrhea....I thought this is it and rushed him to the emergency vet. He was fine after a shot of an antidote and has never put a mushroom in his mouth again!
Thanks, Prism, for the tip on Capstar. I don't have a flea problem but it is nice to know about because we travel a lot.
I send home Mes Amis leads w my puppies too, as do a lot of my breeder friends. They wash up nice, last seriously forever, and always look new. Plus it supports a home based business and another Golden person so is a win-win imo!

We use Capstar when we are taking dogs to places I cannot be sure won't be bringing our little friends home with us and to my mind that's a good thing to keep the possums away too since there are not meals here. eww. The dogs eat squirrels when they catch them and I flat out would vomit over an eaten possum.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My pup had a near call with her collar caught in the crate (with the smaller partition). I woke to her frantic crying and struggling which made it tighter.
But the most frightening part was that I could not open the crate door because of how she was caught - it would not lift up to release. And the 2nd exit was not useable because of the partition location.
Never so panicked but able to work it loose in time.
Could not decide whether to go find scissors or keep trying to release her.

I do not even know why the collar was on that night as I usually took it off before putting her in the crate.
By the way, another vote for crate in the bedroom.

H.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are my preliminary plans.
- Bleach the porch
- Bleach the floors daily or more often
- Create a sod patch for potty training outside on the porch. Will research and call sod company to get an idea of how safe the grass and soil is. Consider bleaching the sod patch or using a parvo specific product. Also considering pasteurizing store bought soil and growing grass on it (I do have time if I start now).
- Institute a no shoes policy in the house which will be a difficult sell and hard to enforce. I’ll have to convince them it’s only for a month we can do it.
- No visitors or public places

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
We put peepee pads in the back well part of the van and he went there. The breeder also suggested places where people don't usually take dogs like a business complex. Definitely not gas stations or rest areas along the highway. Since I know it is a bigger concern in your area, you could also rinse his feet very thoroughly if he had to be down on the ground. If he's in the crate one time may be enough. Rukie slept almost the entire 4 hour drive after a good romp at the breeders.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My breeder sent Maggie home with a Mes Amis slip lead and that was the best thing. I now recommend it to everyone who is getting a new puppy. We did not leave a collar on at night or when she was in her crate. Being able to just slip the lead on and go was wonderful for potty training.

Jules

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I buy mes amis slip leads for all my puppies too- they are wonderful. If you want a specific color order ahead, it is a home based business. Slips are near to impossible to buy in stores, and the mes amis fabric is washable and lasts forever. You'll lose one before you tear it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts