Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe and healthy.

I don't know if I am over-worried or not. We brought home our pup back in December 2019 and he has been great. He has never chewed anything (except a few books or papers that were left on the floor or fell on the floor). He is now 9 months old. We got rid of the crate a while back as he never used it and didn't seem to care for it and does great without it.

Due to recent events, I have been working at home since the beginning of April so needless to say, our beauty -Dozer - has been right by my side every moment of everyday with the exceptions of the very few times that we have gone out for short trips.

I will be going back to work within the next few months and our son will be returning to in person College classes, which will leave our dog home for about 4 - 5 hours three to four days a week. I am worried now about him having some anxiety with us not being around like we are. I don't know if I am overthinking this or not. He got a little restless we noticed when we left recently for about 4 hours (we have a camera to keep an eye on him). This has been the longest we have left him during this time.

Is there anything that anyone can suggest that we can get him to keep him busy when we do go back to our normal lives so that he doesn't find himself bored and looking for something to do?

He will be about a year old when we start leaving him again.

I appreciate any guidance and direction you can lend. Thank you!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start conditioning you dog now to leaves of absence. Five minutes, ten minutes, 15 minutes up to several hours. Do this gradually.
Thanks! That was a thought we had as well so it is great to get some confirmation that we are thinking in the right direction.

Do you know if it would be unwise to give him a raw bone each time we leave so that he stays busy? We usually get the large ones from the butcher that he can't swallow or bite pieces off of.

·
Puddles
3,687 Posts
Anxiety... yours or the dogs? (-:
gdgli offers really good advice. Just remember if you are anxious about leaving, the dog will pick up on this . I would never leave anything in the crate with them. Part of the learning process is learning to be calm in the crate while you are gone. I know lots of people think they need to be entertained but I've seen way too many dogs come into the clinic that have choked and there was no one there to help them. Honestly in 15 yrs of doing in-home visits I usually had to wake the pups up to go out. Just something to consider... whatever they digest will only increase the need to go potty.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also was worried because of this. Since I have been working from home my dog would be by my side 24/7. I brought his crate back out and started doing crate time a couple of times a day for 15 mins and gradually increasing. Leaving him with some treats or a stuffed Kong in the beginning. He has been crate trained and never cried before in it. However, when we started he did cry which was a red flag for me. He now gets allotted alone time throughout the day as we ease into the reopening. He no longer cries and just takes a nice nap. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,859 Posts
Thanks! That was a thought we had as well so it is great to get some confirmation that we are thinking in the right direction.

Do you know if it would be unwise to give him a raw bone each time we leave so that he stays busy? We usually get the large ones from the butcher that he can't swallow or bite pieces off of.
I would not leave a puppy alone with any thing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your help and replies. We will take your advice and start leaving him alone for short time periods to get him use to that. And we won't leave him with anything. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts