Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :wavey:,

Amber is 5 1/2 mos. and 47 lbs. and in good health, as of last week. I took her into the vet to look at a torn pad and for two scabs on her rear hocks. The torn pad will heal, but the vet was baffled as to the origin of the scabs. The are round, dry scabs about 1/2 inch across and are located in exactly the same spot on both hind legs. The hair on her hocks is intact. The vet could not figure out what they were and said to leave them alone. He had the vet tech call and say that the only thing that he can think of is pressure sores from sitting for extended periods of time on her hocks. Have you ever heard of that in a puppy? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I guess the first question to ask is, does a pressure sore even make sense? Does Amber spend extended periods of time sitting on her hocks? Because if she doesn't, then a pressure sore probably wouldn't be the culprit, right?

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Dogs do develop calluses on their hocks... I've never heard of a puppy developing them though.

Is your puppy sitting for long hours or sleeping on hard surfaces?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morning!

Amber has a large kennel in our basement with a cement floor that was 10x10 ft. We expanded it last weekend to 10x20 ft. She has her toys, Kong and Igloo dog house with blankets inside. Our dog sitter comes at noon to feed her lunch and take her outside on our acre to run. When ever I have come home or go down to let her out she is in her dog house. Also, when she sits it is in the funny puppy sit with her legs pointed out (i.e., not on her hocks). We also ordered her a bed that is up off of the ground to take off any additional pressure. The scabs are healing.....we are just surprised if they are pressure sores. I will try to get a picture tonight. Thanks for your responses. :wavey:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts