Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just got back from a trip to the vet. Buddy has lost some hair around a patch on his right leg and the skin is exposed and very bumpy and unsightly. It is not oozing or infected but he doesn't like me touching it that much.

So the vet has told me it is a pressure sore. And no action needed at the moment other than avoid letting him sleep on a hard floor.

Problem is, I don't know how I can do that? He gets to sleep where he likes. The entire house has floor tiles, and also he prefers to lay on the deck outside than in the grass. He also always sleeps on his same side (I have no idea why).

He is allowed on the sofa and the bed, he has had various bed baskets but I took them away because he just wanted to hump them and never once slept in them. He has a doggy blanket and a cooling mat but he invariably ends up on the tiles to sleep.

I have just been reading up here and online about possible solutions.. olive oïl.. organic butter.. but no one seems convinced by them.

What do you advise please. If I do find a solution will the fur grow back?

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
I've just started putting vetericyn (?sp) on Charlie's. Will let you know how it works.

Reactions: 110865

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just started putting vetericyn (?sp) on Charlie's. Will let you know how it works.
Thanks.. I am not sure what that is. I'll look it up on the internet. Are Charlie's bad? The vet was fairly dismissive about Buddy's but I had a really close inspection this morning and the patch of calloused skin is larger than I thought. It is both underneath and on the outside edge of his "knee" joint and he definately does not like me touching it. Is the hair loss going to be permanent?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I found this on a Newfie web site:

"Pressure sores should be kept clean and in some cases may need to have an antibiotic ointment applied. Pressure sores that form on a dog’s elbow or hock may need to be wrapped with a non-stick bandage to prevent infection and provide a cushion."

I imagine when you say knee you mean hock joint. It may be difficult to keep a wrapping on it but it could help it to heal. The bandage is the type used for horses. Vets and horse equipement shops sell it in France.

It is so difficult to stop this happening if he always lies on the same side and of course it is hot so he likes the tiles. Luckily Grit loves to lie on his back with his legs in air, so I have not had this problem yet.

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for looking this up for me. I'm ashamed to say I am not sure what the terminology is! It is on the right forearm not the ankle joint but the next one. I'll take a picture when he wakes up. It is both underneath (as in when he is in the play "crouch" position) and on the side, when he lays on his side to sleep. Nothing anywhere else.

I bumped into a neighbour whilst out walking this evening, a retired vet. Like you he thinks they should be bandaged with padding at least at night time.

Sorry correction... it is on the front right leg on the joint under his chest! Just tried to take some photos but I am bothering him so have not insisted.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think you mean his elbow. That is the most common place as they put their weight on it and this causes the pressure sores. The is not easy to bandage, but you could try at night like the vet you met said.

You could try Manuka honey under the bandage. Get the 10% or 15% not anything stronger. It is brilliant for healing. An elderly friend here had a bad ulcer on her leg and nothing the doctor did helped. I gave her some Manuka honey and it healed in 2 weeks. The doctor couldn't believe his eyes. I use it on the hoses here when they get wounds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, the original Vetericyn product is no longer. The Vetericyn has had the original Microcyn Technology removed from their product and a less expensive HOCl active has been substituted. The original Microcyn Technology is still available in a new MicrocynAH animal healthcare line of products that cost 1/3 less than Vetericyn and have the original Vetericyn formulation with improvements. Longer shelf life and doesn't sting the animal. See*MicrocynAH – Video

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the weather has cooled off these past few weeks Buddy has started sleeping on his mat, sofa and bed again! The improvement in the pressure sores has been dramatic and you can hardly notice them anymore.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That is good news. He is so young that they cannot be really deep sores. On old dogs they get really thick and even if they lie on a soft bed, don't really go away.

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is good news. He is so young that they cannot be really deep sores. On old dogs they get really thick and even if they lie on a soft bed, don't really go away.
The fur has not started to grow back (presuming it will eventually?) but the skin is much less thick and callousy and the sore area is smaller in size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts