Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Lincolns eye issues I order his meds online as its cheaper then getting them from my vet. I got a prescription written the end of October by my vet. It cost me $15 for my vet to write this.

Well I faxed it off and they told me it wasnt valid. Reason? There was no date. They told me for all they know I could of had this written years ago and just kept copying it. They told me the law in Canada requires Vets/Doctors to date, give dose, directions, refills and a signature. She said not only did mine not have the date it was written but it was written on the other vets script pad but had the other vets signature. (Theres two vets in my clinic. The vet who wrote me the script doesnt for whatever reason have her own script pad).

So they told me I have to get my vet to write me another one thats dated. My concern is they will want another $15 to write it.

What should I do? I am in the process of switching to my new vet but have some questions to ask her before I make the big switch. So I still go to my old vet for his eyes

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I think you need to discuss the problem with the script with the vet who wrote it, they made a mistake so they should not charge you to correct it.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Agree with the above post. There is no way I'd be paying another $15 for a re-write of the same rx. Your vet didn't do it properly so he needs to fix it.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to call Monday. But I think they wont really care to be honest. Maybe she needs to get her own prescription pad cause it looks odd that she is using the other vets pad to write scripts. Maybe I will check into her license to make sure she even has one O.O

·
Registered
101 Posts
Things must be different where you are. In the states the prescription must be either the original mailed in or the fax must come directly from the vet's office. They do NOT except scrips mailed from a person. IF your vet is charging you 15$ to even write a prescription your working with crooks and to charge another 15 to rewrite I find that hard to believe

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Did the pharmacy email and tell you that you needed a new prescription, or did they call? If you have an email, print it out and bring it with you to the vet's office and demand that they write you a correct prescription.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree. It seems wrong for your vet to be charging you $15.00 to write a script for your dog. Seems almost like they are charging you a "fee" because you're not purchasing the meds through them.

When our dogs need meds, I get them through PetCareRX.com. I call my vet to discuss my needs first and PetCareRX.com sends a fax directly to the vet's office for authorization. (Since our dogs get yearly physicals & bloodwork done, my vet has no problem authorizing refills of needed medications.)

If I choose to get a written script, my vet does not charge for that, but I must mail the hard copy to PetCareRX.com in the mail. (They used to accept faxes, but don't anymore.)

Also, it might be worth it to find out what several online pet med pharmacies charge for the meds you need, find the lowest price you can, and then ask your vet if he/she can meet that price.

Whenever possible, my vet will meet the prices of online pet med pharmacies (but you have to ask them -- they don't "offer" up that info.) and if they can't, they will tell me so -- and tell me that the better deal is to purchase what I need online.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Better yet have the vet's office send in the fax.

Are there other members here from Canada that can attest to the difference in the way we in the states have to use snail mail or vet's have to fax scrips vs up there where anyone can fax a scrip? Just wondering why they would be more lax about it in Canada ?

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The script must be written on a letter head prescription pad. I must fax it in or scan it into my computer and email it.

My vet charges me the $15 fee because I was told its the markup cost. So shes basically charging me what they are losing. If thats true I would hate to see what she would charge me for Revolution prescription because my vet wants $140 before taxes and this company wants $90.

I asked about matching the price online and they basically laughed at me. Canada and the US are different for some things. I never understood why in the US you need a prescription for polysporin. When in Canada I can buy it over the counter. Or why you need a prescription for some cough medicine, when I can buy it over the counter here.

Its not that we are lax, its because we have different ways of controlling things. On our scripts the vet must write my full name and mailing address as well as what pet the drug is for. If I decide to write them myself they can very easily confirm it with my vet and I go to jail for writing prescriptions.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I am in the US and that same $15 is the charge that my vet adds on to every prescription that I get from his office. I accept this charge when I have a sick animal, and it is for my convenience to just get the medicine right then from the vet.
If I ask for a written prescription (to order something online like Revolution or Interceptor that he doesn't carry) he doesn't charge the $15.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would he charge you $15 if your getting the medication from him? Your already paying the mark up plus this $15. Mine only charges when I ask to get my meds elsewhere, then he wants to make money on the piece of paper he writes me

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
We do not charge an additional fee for a written prescription.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Things must be different where you are. In the states the prescription must be either the original mailed in or the fax must come directly from the vet's office. They do NOT except scrips mailed from a person. IF your vet is charging you 15$ to even write a prescription your working with crooks and to charge another 15 to rewrite I find that hard to believe
I do this all the time. My vet writes a prescription for the exact bottle of thyroid meds sold by KV vet, gives it to me and I mail it in myself. It's never been a problem.

There is a dispensing fee at our vet's office; however, if I price match, it is not charged. There is not a renewal dispensing charge.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't recall ever having to have a scrip for polysporin.

My vets never charge me a fee to write a scrip they will also match online prices if they aren't losing a ton of money on the scrip, I may get it from a place different from their supplier.

I'm still wondering if there are other canadian members that have had this experience as well (faxing scrips themselves).

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't recall ever having to have a scrip for polysporin.

My vets never charge me a fee to write a scrip they will also match online prices if they aren't losing a ton of money on the scrip, I may get it from a place different from their supplier.

I'm still wondering if there are other canadian members that have had this experience as well (faxing scrips themselves).

Are you implying I may be lying? I dont fax, I scan into my computer then attach it to an email and send it off. I would have my vet fax is but the last time I asked they forgot and he went without meds for a week O.O

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Are you implying I may be lying? I dont fax, I scan into my computer then attach it to an email and send it off. I would have my vet fax is but the last time I asked they forgot and he went without meds for a week O.O
No, I don't think she's implying you are lying at all, she's just trying to understand better and help you. We really are nice people on this forum, trust me. :) I just pulled up what KV Vet Supply requires of US prescriptions and assume it is the same in Canada--they need it faxed from the vet or the original mailed in from the owner:

To order prescription medications from KV, all we need is the prescription from your veterinarian. We can accept prescriptions by one of these methods:

KV can obtain a prescription on your behalf by sending a fax form to your vet. All your vet needs to do is fill out the form and fax it back to us. Follow these simple steps:

1) Begin by registering at KVSupply.com, if you have not already done so. Prescription requests are tied to your KV customer account.

2) Email us at [email protected] or call 800-423-8211 or 402-367-6047 to set up a prescription request. In addition to your basic account info, you will need the following:

- Your animal's name and species
- The prescription medication and quantity you need
- Your veterinarian's name, fax number and phone number
By fax: Your vet can fax the prescription from his or her office to 877-KVRX-FAX (877-587-9329). If you have already placed an order, please have your vet reference the order number on the document. IMPORTANT: Please do not attempt to fax a prescription yourself (unless you are a vet). We can only accept faxed prescriptions directly from the vet's office.
By Phone: Your vet can approve your prescription over the phone by speaking with a KV Pharmacist at 800-423-8211 or 402-367-6047.
By Mail: You can mail the original written prescription (no photo copies, please) to:

KV Pet & Equine Pharmacy
PO Box 245
David City, NE 68632
Note: If you have already placed an order, please include the order number with your prescription.
All prescriptions remain on file at KV and are valid for one year, or until the total quantity has been dispensed, whichever occurs first.

KV's Pharmacist in charge: Aaron J. Stutzman, PharmD, RP

Pharmacy Operating Hours:
8:00am - 8:00pm Central Time Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm Central Time on Saturdays
Closed on Sundays
Restrictions
You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase prescription medications from KV Supply.
Availability of medications may vary by state. We cannot ship any prescription medications to destinations outside the United States.

As noted above this isn't a good option for you since you are in Canada and they only deal with the US.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No I am not implying that you are lying. Are you paranoid? I am trying to understand why it seems so easy to get a scrip in canada by just faxing it yourself when here in the states it's a little more difficult.

And you did say in your first post you faxed it but are now saying you emailed it.

I deal with KV Vet for the majority of my meds of which Dallas just posted their protocol.

I guess it just boggles my mind that any vet would charge a client to simply write out a prescription I have just never had that happen to me. Refusing to write out one I can understand, they would be losing money in most instances but charging to write one out I just don't get that. And charging to rewrite it because they didn't put in the date which was their fault? That REALLY boggles my mind.

Maybe you should give a heads up to people in your area to not use your vet since it seems they nickel and dime you for everything.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
It's not unusual for vets to charge a fee for a written prescription, since you are not buying the drugs from their clinic it's their way of getting some profit from dispensing the prescription. People who use online stores to buy heartworm prevention have to get a prescription from their vet and often the vet charges to write scrip.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I am in the US and that same $15 is the charge that my vet adds on to every prescription that I get from his office. I accept this charge when I have a sick animal, and it is for my convenience to just get the medicine right then from the vet.
If I ask for a written prescription (to order something online like Revolution or Interceptor that he doesn't carry) he doesn't charge the $15.
That's really interesting. It's the reverse of what two vets I have used do.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
That's really interesting. It's the reverse of what two vets I have used do.
The $15 fee that I pay when I get a prescription filled at the vet's office is probably more of a dispensing fee. I wasn't actually aware of it (the amount is just added into the cost of the prescription) until one of the vet techs mentioned it (when we were discussing how many thyroid pills I wanted to pick up for Brooks-he suggested I get a greater quantity to avoid paying the $15 fee so often).
I guess it is for typing out the label and putting the pills in the bottle, or measuring out syringes of meds and putting them in a plastic baggie).
For the vet to write a prescription and hand it to me only takes a second, hence no charge

1 - 20 of 22 Posts